Author Topic: ORICO Mini IDE SATA Adapter Australian seller refusing to ship  (Read 2526 times)

Offline MrMobodiesTopic starter

• Super Contributor
ORICO Mini IDE SATA Adapter Australian seller refusing to ship
« on: December 15, 2018, 02:10:34 am »
Hello I have an unusual request for some help.

I need some more of the following but can't find them selling anywhere now apart from one seller who is refusing to ship because they do not have international delivery despite me offering to pay to reserve it. The problem is it is in Austalia and the seller can't/won't ship.

See attachment.

On Ebay:
3 Left:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323292698392?ul_noapp=true

1 Left:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/323292699013?ul_noapp=true

See if you can find one selling in the UK. America or elsewhere.
I have tried already.

I have a few but I lost one and I find that they reliable for IDE drives out of the many that failed on my over the years and I had a couple of expensive ribbon ones from Startech that broke due to wearing of the cable and some of them let the magic smoke out and  others don't seem work well with certain drives.

How much can someone, find out how much it will cost to buy them and send them to me in England through tracked shipping?

Would Paypal be okay if anyone agreed to do it and how much would you like ontop for doing it?

I don't have any family or friends in Australia to help.

Thanks

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: ORICO Mini IDE SATA Adapter Australian seller refusing to ship
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 02:20:42 am »
First Link to me would be $17 + $5 post to me from 300km away

Second Link to me would be $19 with free postage.

Std Postage to the UK looks like about $21.20. for up to 500g (should be plenty)

AUD to the Pound is 0.57 not allowing for your daily Brexitwobble  >:D

Happy to do it at cost via paypal if it helps.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 02:47:37 am »
Is the $5 delivery charge for all three of the of the first link.
There is also the other $19 bi directional one on the second link.

I have weighed the unit and it is 72g.
See attachment.

If the packaging is too heavy maybe they can be taken out.

It must be trackable as well I don't want them lost in the post.

Also what commission would you like for doing it?

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 03:00:26 am »
If I add the three into my cart it added $15 which is OTT but it is what it is. Second one came up as free postage.

Australia post tracked satchels here so $28.20 for 500g https://shop.auspost.com.au/product/international-standard-satchel-uk-ireland-intlukstm

Commission if you ever get to the Great Ocean Road you owe me a Beer in person otherwise it is a 100m walk to the Post Office so nothing.  :)

Also had a quick trawl on Google in Oz and nil stock or broken links was all I got.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 03:35:37 am »

3x $17  $54 & $15 delivery
1x $19        & free delivery

Tracked Delivery $28.20

Estimating the total $116.2

I'll send you message with my address to confirm delivery.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 03:39:00 am »
3 x $17 = $51  ;)

Offline jpb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 10:40:53 am »
You seem to be well sorted now.

But if it is just IDE to SATA converters you want (rather than that particular one) then Scan sell one (though it is currently on pre-order and not in stock):

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/dynamode-bi-directional-ide-to-sata-adapter

as does amazon.co.uk

https://www.amazon.co.uk/IDE-2-5-SATA-adapter-converter/dp/B0041SIFNG

I couldn't quite work out if the ide or the adapter was "mini" - is there a mini ide different from ide?

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 12:45:14 pm »
IDE 2.5" drives had a 44pin interface which included +5V and GND. Standard IDE is 40 pin and is a larger connector (both the same on 3.5" and 5.25" drives).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 12:49:36 pm by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

The following users thanked this post: jpb

Offline jpb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 05:07:55 pm »
IDE 2.5" drives had a 44pin interface which included +5V and GND. Standard IDE is 40 pin and is a larger connector (both the same on 3.5" and 5.25" drives).
Thanks for clarifying.
The amazon one is mini IDE (44 pin) :
https://www.amazon.co.uk/IDE-2-5-SATA-adapter-converter/dp/B0041SIFNG/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1544893414&sr=1-3&keywords=mini+ide+sata+converter
while this one is the 40 pin version :
https://www.amazon.co.uk/VGEBY-Parallel-Serial-Drive-Converter/dp/B06XW6LN6T/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1544893588&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=ide+sata+converter&psc=1
there doesn't seem to be a shortage of options in the UK though they don't seem as neatly boxed as the Orico one.

Re-reading the original post I see that the OP had had bad experiences with the alternatives.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 05:09:29 pm by jpb »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 08:33:45 pm »
You seem to be well sorted now.

But if it is just IDE to SATA converters you want (rather than that particular one) then Scan sell one (though it is currently on pre-order and not in stock):

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/dynamode-bi-directional-ide-to-sata-adapter

as does amazon.co.uk

https://www.amazon.co.uk/IDE-2-5-SATA-adapter-converter/dp/B0041SIFNG

I couldn't quite work out if the ide or the adapter was "mini" - is there a mini ide different from ide?

I have got a few of those 2.5inch converters and they seem really good.
The best I can get is 75 megabytes a second out of them compared to a tiny 10 - 20mb a second on a usb 2 converter and I have got a few that is from 2.5inch ide to sata but I rarely use those.

I did have one stop and smoke but that was years ago.

The Dynamode looks good as well but for the particular use I need it in a casing or I have to be extra careful like with the 2.5 inch converter.

I have a place where all the drives go and with it exposed something metal might touch it so I try to reduce that and clear the space.
The exposed ones are good for internal use but I have the drives out on the surface.

I uploaded a picture of some of mine and the issues with them. I didn't include the Orico as that had no problems I but there was an issue with the light cover inside. Both of them fell off inside so I glued them back but it seems to work with all the drives without issue.

Sorry ribbon the ones were not Startech they are Newlink NL-SATADUALADAT.
Works fast but on some Western Digital drives it only seems to work if pull the master and slave jumpers are out.
On some Seagate drives if slave is set it won't pick up connect the drive.

1: That was the one that smoked a couple of weeks ago. It copying something from a CDrom, it disconnected, the light on it went out and it started to smoke.
The component squared in red is cracked. I have another smoke some years ago.

I brought about 10 or more in 2012 and some stopped working and I have checked the flimsy power cable.

2: Intermittently works on moving the ribbon.
Obviously there is a breakage in there and I have few break like that.

3: 3ware P-SATA. I got this in a job lot bundle on Ebay with a 7500-8 series controller.
When I was testing it at the time it works well on a other sata controller and no problems with all different ide drives but it does not work properly with optical drives. I found if a cd is in the drive on next bootup it will show and start working. Without no cd the drive is not picked up. I think it is designed just for drives for their raid controller.

4: My first converter that I brought for some Seagate ES2 drives in 2010 and I paid a lot more than the others. I think it was around £30 each but the performance was disappointing at only 50 megabytes a second and I was getting delays. The previous IDE drives were doing over 60mbs. When I swapped it over with the Newlink ribbon ones in 2011 the transfer went up to 80 to under 90 megabytes a second which was a big improvement. That's why I brought many of them at the time for my work on disc imaging and testing the drives but they are prone to break and they also have sharp edges in the sata connectors that traps the plugs and cracks/breaks the sides off on my 2m long grey thick sata cables if I am not careful when pulling it out.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 08:57:24 pm by MrMobodies »

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 04:14:49 am »
this may work? maynt it?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Converter-40-Pin-IDE-Female-SATA-to-22-Pin-male-adapter-PATA-SATA-Card-T1/172749136495?hash=item2838a6a26f:g:RBoAAOSwbiFZUP8w
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PATA-IDE-to-Serial-ATA-SATA-Interface-HDD-Hard-Drive-DVD-Converter-Adapter-4pin/153060068773?epid=1439349232&hash=item23a3174da5:g:wjIAAOSw9NhbIJgC:rk:36:pf:0
i also am looking for the same thing except the reverse, they still quite abundant in stock. IDE HDD are dying soon, but not the IDE MB...

1: That was the one that smoked a couple of weeks ago. It copying something from a CDrom, it disconnected, the light on it went out and it started to smoke.
The component squared in red is cracked. I have another smoke some years ago.
i think thats a linear regulator, replacing it may bring it to life again. i'll put enough heatsink to make it industrial, imho, ymmv.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 06:30:34 pm »
I have got plenty of heatsinks. When I get my place in order I'll try find a regulator somewhere out of my junk or maybe order a couple and give that ago. Good thing about hoarding junk.

That Newlink NL-SATADUALADAT can go in reverse and I good performance out of them.

I can only seem them selling in the uk where I live:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NL-SATADUALADAT-Newlink-SATA-To-IDE-Adaptor/361940122461
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=NL-SATADUALADAT&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ANL-SATADUALADAT

They were £14 when I looked at them last maybe the listing ran out a couple of days ago to find what brand they were.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 03:24:15 pm »
I just received them.
Tested them and no problems.

Thank you very much.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf