Author Topic: Pace MBT 350 Rework Station legit price?  (Read 4353 times)

Online ShockTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Pace MBT 350 Rework Station legit price?
« on: August 01, 2018, 11:02:37 am »
Was looking at getting a Pace MBT 350 for the SX-100 desoldering iron and perhaps a few other accessories. Came across this listing which seems heavily discounted, I also noticed they are including the new aluminum TD-100A iron as well, so I would assume new stock. Anyone brought off this seller? It's the 120V (i.e. USA) model btw.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PACE-MBT-350/173430991804
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Pace MBT 350 Rework Station legit price?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 04:47:21 pm »
I haven't bought from that seller before, but it looks like he's been selling those or similar models at a leisurely rate for over a year. Sometimes best offer is enabled. Might be OK.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 11:34:05 am »
I haven't bought from that seller before, but it looks like he's been selling those or similar models at a leisurely rate for over a year. Sometimes best offer is enabled. Might be OK.

Yeah looks like you're right, they even sold some 230V units a while back as well. That price is dirt cheap though it means I could basically get a MBT 350 package and get a TJ-70 ThermoJet from another source virtually for free (it's like a $400-500 discount).

Both packages seem to come with the SX-100 desoldering iron and MT-100 micro tweezers according to Paces website. So thought long and hard over either a TD-100A iron or the PS-90 iron. Looks like there is about $10 in it if you get them separately. It's always good to have at least one iron built like a crowbar.

Hmm decisions. I think after I'm done I can flog off about half a dozen of my old irons. :-/O

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 11:45:27 am »
Actually the MBT 350 station doesn't look too bad space wise on bench photos. I thought initially it would be larger.

Offline ddcc

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 06:48:35 pm »
A couple of other things to keep in mind: the TD-100 is much smaller than the PS-90, so it may be easier to work on difficult-to-reach places without disassembly. The tips on the TD-100 are different, and not backwards compatible with the older Pace irons, so you're less likely to find cheap/surplus tips. I believe the heater is integrated into the tip now, and they're much easier to change (no need to mess with a set screw), but they are more expensive. The MBT-350 is also an Intelliheat system (blue connectors), which isn't directly compatible with older SensaTemp (black connectors) handpieces without an adapter cable. So keep that in mind if you want to get a TJ-70/TJ-85 hot air pencil later on. For the SX-100, I don't like the non-reusable cardboard Flux/SODR traps since they are a recurring cost, but they can be switched out for the classic glass chamber with a cylindrical cotton filter. Get some extra paper disk filters, some extra tips, and the cleaning kit for when the tips clog, and you should be set.

I have a MBT-250 with the PS-90, TJ-70, SX-70, and TT-65 handpieces for home use that I gradually bought used on eBay, so in total it was pretty cheap. Weird tips (e.g. PLCC, QFP, etc) for the TT-65 can be a bit expensive, but it's par for the course. The MT-100 is very nice for SMD rework, I wish I had one at home, but I've been making do with small tips on the TT-65. Only downside I've experienced is that the TJ-70 can't put out enough heat for boards with high thermal mass, so I've been contemplating a preheater. I believe the MBT-350 can supply more power to each handpiece, so this will probably be less of a problem for you. Also, the MBT-350 supports the set-back cubby, which is nice for reducing tip temperature when the iron isn't actively being used.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 06:52:56 pm by ddcc »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 10:43:22 pm »
The MBT-350 is also an Intelliheat system (blue connectors), which isn't directly compatible with older SensaTemp (black connectors) handpieces without an adapter cable. So keep that in mind if you want to get a TJ-70/TJ-85 hot air pencil later on. For the SX-100, I don't like the non-reusable cardboard Flux/SODR traps since they are a recurring cost, but they can be switched out for the classic glass chamber with a cylindrical cotton filter. Get some extra paper disk filters, some extra tips, and the cleaning kit for when the tips clog, and you should be set.

I think they are doing a TJ-70 now for Intelliheat stations or at least it has the Intelliheat cable, that was the impression I got from the website. I'm the same it's easy for me to clean things out and I'd rather reuse a glass one if I can.

I have a MBT-250 with the PS-90, TJ-70, SX-70, and TT-65 handpieces for home use that I gradually bought used on eBay, so in total it was pretty cheap. Weird tips (e.g. PLCC, QFP, etc) for the TT-65 can be a bit expensive, but it's par for the course.

Oh nice, yes I did look at the MBT 250 as well, how long have you had it? Due to shipping it's more economical for me to get to everything at once if possible. But I've noticed a few youtube videos showing Pace kit people have picked up cheap. For the PS-90 I recall seeing some packs of tips were fairly inexpensive. The SX-100 I saw a selection pack of tips for $60 dollars or around $10 each, that's new which is not too bad at all, cost peanuts to run.

I have some large and expensive Nichicon caps to desolder off a board I salvaged which will be tricky to remove. So looking forward to giving it a try, can always use the desoldering iron with a bit of hot air which will make it easier anyway. I don't have decent preheating either, I can get it done but yeah would be nice.

Offline ddcc

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 11:59:41 pm »
Oh nice, yes I did look at the MBT 250 as well, how long have you had it? Due to shipping it's more economical for me to get to everything at once if possible. But I've noticed a few youtube videos showing Pace kit people have picked up cheap. For the PS-90 I recall seeing some packs of tips were fairly inexpensive. The SX-100 I saw a selection pack of tips for $60 dollars or around $10 each, that's new which is not too bad at all, cost peanuts to run.

I have some large and expensive Nichicon caps to desolder off a board I salvaged which will be tricky to remove. So looking forward to giving it a try, can always use the desoldering iron with a bit of hot air which will make it easier anyway. I don't have decent preheating either, I can get it done but yeah would be nice.

About a year ago, I bought a used MBT PPS-80A with TJ-70, SX-70, TT-65, 2x SP-2A, and a ton of assorted new/used tips for ~$120. But the vacuum / hot air on that unit was very weak, and after taking a look inside, I discovered that the connecting rod on the vacuum pump had broken. In addition, the PPS-80A is only a two-channel analog unit, so I upgraded to a used PPS-85A (MBT-250) with PS-90 for ~$100. Subsequently, I picked up some replacement parts from Pace, replaced the connecting rod, and resold the PPS-80A, 2x SP-2A, and assorted used tips, which more than covered the cost of the upgrade.

As for tips, I recently bought some 1121-0506-P5 for the SX-70 at ~$30, so around $6 each. The stations / handpieces / tips were all through eBay, which tends to have lots of surplus / new old stock (especially for the common tip sizes), so it keeps the cost down. As for replacement parts, prices are quite reasonable; I've been going through TEquipment, which stocks the full Pace catalogue, and has a EEVBlog / education discount.

I've considered upgrading to the MBT-350, but those are harder to find for cheap, and after factoring in the cost of the IntelliHeat / SensaTemp adapters, it's not worth the hassle.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline ddcc

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 12:13:51 am »
I haven't had any problems with the SX-70, worst case you add some Chip-Quik or bismuth-based solder to lower the melting point.

The thermal problems that I've experienced have been on multilayer boards with QFN/DFN/etc surface-mount switching regulators, which have a bottom pad for heatsinking into a ground plane through lots of vias. From the top, the TJ-70 just can't heat up the regulator fast enough, especially with inductors and various ethernet / usb / etc ports sinking heat.

Offline mairo

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 12:29:42 pm »
Hi Shock,

I work with this station and also work with the newest JBC and ERSA (Icon-4) stations. The MBT350 units that I work with I believe  are ~ 2008 vintage, so probably very early firmware. The configuration consists of Soldering Iron, Desoldering tool, Hot air pencil, tweezers, pedal for hot air and desoldering - not sure the exact part numbers at the moment, but they are all bought back with the main units..

Main unit:
Good - relay small footprint for what it packs, good cabling (still cannot get used some times with the JBC way of connecting to the irons..);
Bad - I find the menu difficult to use - not as easy and intuitive as the ERSA and JBC; There is a software glitch I think in all of the stations that we have (10 in total), which basically 'freezes' the station  after ~30-40min of use, which causes the tools to  stop working and unless you look at the LCD to see the error message, you will be wondering why the solder is not melting .. fixing it is by simple restarting of the  main unit.

Soldering iron - probably the best iron in terms of ergonomics (based on my hand) that I have used .. Ersa's iron for me comes second, followed by the JBC - JBC one feels too big (the nano irons are a different story :) ) and I find the cable always on the way.. Tips are very good and also have very good wear, much better than JBC. The JBC iron tho heats much more faster, actually I think the units that we have do not have hibernation mode while on the stand?

Desoldering tool -  nothing bad here, good suction, good heat, not difficult to clean, easy to remove the tips (JBC one I think is not that strait forward..). The JBC again beats it on heat up time and probably on power, but not that much and is also more complex when it comes to tip changes and cleaning.

Hot air pencil - Compare to the hot air pencil on the ERSA I-con 4, I think Ersa is much better - the PACE seems abit under powered (it is physically the  smallest as well) and I have not found a good use for it yet. The only negative points in the Ersa hot air pencil I think is the flow adjustment knob located on the pencil itself is abit difficult to operate and also the touch sensor that turns ON/OFF the tool also takes abit of practise to get use to.

Tweezers - have not worked with them, so cannot comment.

Tool stands - good solid stands, pedal works well too.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 09:48:38 pm by mairo »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 11:14:28 am »
Thanks for the advice. I have put together a short maintenance list for the SX-100 desoldering iron. Am thinking multiple glass traps is the way to go, then if full I can quickly swap over.

So 2x glass solder traps with insert, trap filters, visifilters, tip cleaning tool, solder trap cleaning brush.
Anything else you think I will need?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 07:02:01 am »
Huge reveal, a box has arrived. ::)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 12:14:37 am »
Hehe, I wonder what it could be!?! ;D

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 12:18:27 am »
So I guess the Pace factory workers are Pacemakers?

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 12:54:16 am »
They sure are.

Offline mairo

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 03:28:33 am »
Thanks for the advice. I have put together a short maintenance list for the SX-100 desoldering iron. Am thinking multiple glass traps is the way to go, then if full I can quickly swap over.

So 2x glass solder traps with insert, trap filters, visifilters, tip cleaning tool, solder trap cleaning brush.
Anything else you think I will need?

Sorry I forgot about this, glad you made a purchase.

All the bits I use to clean the the unit are the long metal inserts. There are some other bits that I have never used for it..
I guess (from experience with my JBC) the two ruber sealing caps on the two sides of the tools woul dbe great to have replacements for, altho the one that use have never failed (the JBC one have).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2018, 09:55:53 am »
All the bits I use to clean the the unit are the long metal inserts. There are some other bits that I have never used for it..  I guess (from experience with my JBC) the two rubber sealing caps on the two sides of the tools would be great to have replacements for, although the one that use have never failed (the JBC one have).

Thanks, I ordered in a SX-100 trap kit which has two glass traps filters and couple of spare front seals as part of it. Got the brush and cleaner tool as well plus spare filters.

Might not need a rear seal for a while as it's not the "business end" of the handpiece but cheers, I think you are right it's probably the only other consumable that will keep it running for decades. I'm pleased it's a very simple design and not over complicated. Once I figured the door was pull and release from the handle it took seconds to change the solder trap over.

What tips did you end up getting for your SX-100, any advice?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf