Author Topic: Peaker Pattinson Auction, UK  (Read 4544 times)

Offline KJDSTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
Peaker Pattinson Auction, UK
« on: January 22, 2017, 04:10:08 pm »
Peaker Pattonson collective electronics sale, details below

http://www.ppauctions.com/auction.php?id=191

Offline TAMHAN

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Peaker Pattinson Auction, UK
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 08:28:05 am »
Hello,
anyone in the mood for another shipping project?

TopLoser has gone awefully silent...
Feel like some additional tamile wisdom? Visit my YouTube channel -> https://www.youtube.com/user/MrTamhan for 10min tid-bits!

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 09:13:59 am »
Hello,
anyone in the mood for another shipping project?

TopLoser has gone awefully silent...

No; we might end up bidding against each other :)

Some of the stuff I have bought there has been good, some needed significant repairs, a little went straight in the bin. I have no complaints.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline TAMHAN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 03:17:48 pm »
For me, it would be a question of honor not to bid against my fiduciar. You can ask other EEVblog members. In the last auction, I was very disciplined.

Tam
Feel like some additional tamile wisdom? Visit my YouTube channel -> https://www.youtube.com/user/MrTamhan for 10min tid-bits!

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 03:38:36 pm »
For me, it would be a question of honor not to bid against my fiduciar. You can ask other EEVblog members. In the last auction, I was very disciplined.
Of course, but mistakes can be made and I can't be certain what I'll bid on. For example, if I buy something big early, I'm more likely to bid on more small late items "to make the journey worthwhile". No, I don't need comments on that psychology :)

More importantly. I'm not prepared to risk feeling responsible for poor packing, packing isn't my idea of fun, I might not get anything, and I don't need the money.

You may remember https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/uk-auction-lots-of-rf-test-gear/msg1056513/#msg1056513 from the last ppauction; I have no further information.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline SNGLinks

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 03:42:58 pm »
Some of these items look like left-overs from the Ofcom Baldock auction.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 04:08:59 pm »
There are 100W HP system power supplies and Agilent SMUs nobody bidded on. It pains me to see it.

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 04:16:44 pm »
Hmm. Large amount of spare cash lying around. Already technically drive a van. Own a Limited company to shift it through >:D

But hassle. Is it worth it...

Someone has bid a PL310 up to £16 already. I paid £30 for mine inc delivery and it's a newer one...

Edit: does anyone know what the typical HP SA goes for at these? Aware of the DOA risk.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 04:19:32 pm by SingedFingers »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 09:13:29 pm »
Edit: does anyone know what the typical HP SA goes for at these? Aware of the DOA risk.

RTFEbay!

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 09:21:19 pm »
There are 100W HP system power supplies and Agilent SMUs nobody bidded on. It pains me to see it.
Maybe someone will take them and put them on Ebay. There is some interesting stuff but having to haul it away myself makes me lose interest.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 10:58:03 pm »

RTFEbay!

I know eBay prices. Stock auctions tend to vary considerably depending on the vendor and location. Explicitly asking if anyone has any price gauges for this class of item excluding eBay.

Note: I used to shift a ton of laptops from IT auctions on ebay. Think I sold 200 odd in total.

Offline TAMHAN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 06:22:54 am »
If my experience from last time holds, they will likely go up sky high. PPAuctions and Spectral Analyzers seem to be a fun couple.

Singed: will you bid on something? If yes, I might ask you to handle one small thing for me...a 6632.

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 07:10:06 am »
I'm going to pass on this one. My budget is about £600 for an HF+VHF capable SA and after some pricing research, that's not happening and I'll be better off waiting for a cheap Thurlby SA on eBay that covers requirements only. Sales on eBay plus overheads make it a risky game pulling more than one unit. I can probably break even but not cover the transport costs. Plus I'd have to sell it to myself from my Ltd company.

Plus I just spent £500 on Farnell on a new Weller iron, tools and parts last month so the finance department is a little annoyed (SWMBO) ;)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 07:16:41 am by SingedFingers »

Offline TAMHAN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 02:51:59 pm »
Hi,
no sweat!

It looks like some of the gear has the pleno titulo buyers all hot and bothered!

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 03:00:32 pm »
Indeed.

Incidentally I think I managed to skank a working HP 8591A with tracking generator option for a mere £50 this morning >:D

Offline TAMHAN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2017, 03:32:25 pm »
Congratulations.

SWIMBO was watching the Auction a little bit. She had foam out of her snout seeing how the three old monochrome 32K HP scopes were bid up.

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2017, 03:42:31 pm »
Yep. Don't even get Tetris for your money on them ;)

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2017, 04:54:09 pm »
I think there were some fairly decent buys there. I didn't get much but only because I was looking for crazy bargains. I was very tempted by the fluke voltage reference but once it was over £100 I felt I'd only stare at it and wonder how good the calibration was .. and need another few hundred to find out :)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2017, 07:23:59 pm »
I think there were some fairly decent buys there. I didn't get much but only because I was looking for crazy bargains. I was very tempted by the fluke voltage reference but once it was over £100 I felt I'd only stare at it and wonder how good the calibration was .. and need another few hundred to find out :)

Yes :) Always provided you could lift the damn thing twice (>30kg) :) I'm looking for something to calibrate my Weston Standard Cells; anybody want to collect one from SW UK?

I've had good bargains at PPAuctions, albeit knowing they needed significant remedial work. I've also had some stuff that has rapidly been binned.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf