Author Topic: Please help me get a oscilloscope  (Read 15914 times)

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
Re: Please help me get a oscilloscope
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2017, 04:31:36 pm »

I don't think you need a license to cut grass, wash a few cars,
you're assuming he lives in the suburbs.
shine some shoes?
that would have been good advice ....50 years ago...

I don't know if the O.P. is a scam or not -but I think the odds are high that it is legit.  He didn't take me up on my offer to send him money via Paypal but there could be lots of reasons for that. I do know that if it is legit, the cynicism and hostility directed at him by some of the adults in this thread is enough to scare off most 13 year olds and perhaps even drive them away from electronics for good.

The following users thanked this post: gnavigator1007, Lorenzo_1, Novanoid

Online MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2017, 05:02:13 pm »

shine some shoes?

I don't know if the O.P. is a scam or not -but I think the odds are high that it is legit.  He didn't take me up on my offer to send him money via Paypal but there could be lots of reasons for that. I do know that if it is legit, the cynicism and hostility directed at him by some of the adults in this thread is enough to scare off most 13 year olds and perhaps even drive them away from electronics for good.

I feel that it would have tended to be better. If the OP, had built up a number of posts, over a period of time on this forum. Showing his advances and adventures, as a beginner in Electronics. E.g. 50 posts.
He could have then created a thread, explaining that he is being held back in some of his projects (which he can detail in the thread), apparently because of a lack of an oscilloscope capability.

We could have then helped him choose the best solutions, for him to solve that problem.

A decent analogue oscilloscope (if he has enough space), which can sometimes be obtained free. If he had been an active member for a while, built up some kind of posting history, and was politely asking if anyone had a usable analogue oscilloscope available at a low cost, for an upcoming beginner.

Although on the one hand I agree with you, putting young beginners at Electronics off is a bad thing. To just go onto a forum, with a very low post count (at the time of the OP), and just say "Give me $500". When they can't even bother to spell oscilloscope properly in the gofundme title. Can't that surprisingly get claims of "it might be a scam" and/or it is too much like begging.

Offline onesixright

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2017, 10:15:02 pm »

shine some shoes?

You can nitpick on examples I gave. But the point is he can do some chores for some reward. On top, going outside wouldn't hurt! ;-)

All I'm trying to say is: he doesn't need to apply for a job, to make a few bucks.

I also feel with others that said: he has no track record here. Thats not per-se wrong, but yeah well  :-X

Offline EHT

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2017, 10:03:39 pm »
This is all quite amusing :)

Stonecold, you might get some more comical advice if you say what you're going to do with this machine!

Do you already have a DMM? If not then my advice is a get a cheap reliable DMM first. You can fix a lot of stuff up with that before you need a scope. That, and get some second hand text books on electrical engineering and make sure you understand basics such as Ohm's law, the function of common discrete components and common circuits. If you haven't already done this, you'll get many suggestions here on which books to look for. I'm sure you will find old copies available very cheaply.

You will get a more methodical introduction if you go through making some simple circuits rather than trying to fix up old equipment which of course can be very complex: old stuff, hard to get parts; new stuff, hard to repair, no diagrams, tiny parts. Get a soldering iron with a fine chiseled tip and learn to solder well.

How about simple stuff attached to arduino etc. Cheap and easy. If you also learn programming alongside you will find this easily leads you to more $$$.

Offline buck converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2017, 11:56:06 pm »
Hi Stonecold, I see that you want an oscilloscope. here is a link to buy an analog oscilloscope from ebay. It is not every day a working oscilloscope is being sold for 60 bucks.eBay auction: #282528453265. Get it before it is taken!
Just me and my scope.

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2017, 12:27:13 am »
^ those Hitachis are actually pretty nice, really sharp trace
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2017, 12:49:26 am »
I still have my V152B.  It has a few battle scars, but it is still working - and the trace is still excellent.  I'm not sure about calibration, but the vertical doesn't look too far off and the horizontal appears to be quite OK.

... and we're talking about a scope that's around 40 years old.

Offline buck converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2017, 12:51:35 am »
Despite what this forum claims, it is getting harder and harder to get a guaranteed working analog oscilloscope off of eBay, at least in the US. This Hitachi is a once-a-month oppurtunity.
Just me and my scope.

Offline Novanoid

• Contributor
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2017, 04:57:04 am »

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2017, 05:40:49 am »
I've got a bunch and I'll GIVE you one. Message me and I'll delivery it. If you are in fact a young kid just getting into EE, I drive up and drop it off.

This is not a joke, I bought a large lot Tek gear a few months back and I have one that is perfect for you. Again, if your not just trying to hustle up cash and your actually a kid, it's free. Just message me and we'll set it up. No I won't let your uncle, friend, etc pick it up, I want to see the kid - you - and talk a little about EE to make sure your legit...maybe get ya started with some other cool little projects too.

Edit: if your just a full time scam artist, I'm sure you'll have an excuse as to why you can't accept this free scope and need the cash instead. Guess we will see soon enough..
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 05:43:14 am by Inverted18650 »

The following users thanked this post: Kryoclasm, idpromnut, TerraHertz, tooki, 3db

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2017, 06:30:37 am »
brilliant
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2017, 07:01:56 am »
Indeed brilliant. That'll show OPs true intentions.
From what I read here on this thread and on bis gofundme page, I'll have to assume he's a scamer looking for money. Might be true he is 13 years old.
If he isn't a scamer despite of "evidence" pointing towards it, I wish OP all the best with bis new scope.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

http://rbastlerblog.jimdo.com/
Gamma spectrometer works. Now some yellow crystals need regenerating and testing.

Offline gnavigator1007

• Supporter
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2017, 07:43:17 am »
Nothing creepier than demanding someone prove themselves a 13 year old on the internet. Also, I thought he made a video for Dave's giveaway that seemed to show he was legitimately a young hobbyist.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2017, 07:55:58 am »
Yes, he did make a very nice video.

Good luck Brett. My offer still stands.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2017, 08:40:05 am »
I've got a bunch and I'll GIVE you one. Message me and I'll delivery it. If you are in fact a young kid just getting into EE, I drive up and drop it off.

This is not a joke, I bought a large lot Tek gear a few months back and I have one that is perfect for you. Again, if your not just trying to hustle up cash and your actually a kid, it's free. Just message me and we'll set it up. No I won't let your uncle, friend, etc pick it up, I want to see the kid - you - and talk a little about EE to make sure your legit...maybe get ya started with some other cool little projects too.

Edit: if your just a full time scam artist, I'm sure you'll have an excuse as to why you can't accept this free scope and need the cash instead. Guess we will see soon enough..

Don't see the kid alone---- make sure the mother is there.
I was going to send a 'scope Interstate to a 12 year old, but he seemed cagey about getting his parents to verify that he could have it, so I "pulled the plug" on the offer!

The thought of Mum or Dad going mad  that some "weirdo on the Internet" had sent a box of "Electronics stuff" to their precious "Chee-ild", & setting the  Federal cops onto me was not very pleasing.

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2017, 09:27:04 am »
Nothing creepier than demanding someone prove themselves a 13 year old on the internet. Also, I thought he made a video for Dave's giveaway that seemed to show he was legitimately a young hobbyist.
No need for OP to be there alone. In fact, I woudnt bring him the scope, without his Patents beeing with him. So you can verify he isnt a scamer and the parents are hopefully cool with some one helping a young electronics Enthusiast out.
Im not into law and all that, but there could very well be one that permits no online "sales" to minors. So having the parents  with him, its always good.

Gamma spectrometer works. Now some yellow crystals need regenerating and testing.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2017, 09:48:28 am »
Didn't know about a video that was made by the kid... hope he's legit and there is NO chance I'd meet him alone. But that makes me remember Bill Burr's comedy routine about kids...never thought I'd laugh about pedafiles, but he made it funny.

I figured that if it was legit, it would be a feel good story for the page. We will take some pics and send them in...maybe call the local news channel, make a big deal about some EE website helping local needy kids learn and all the bells and whistles.  :clap:

Online MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2017, 12:38:02 pm »
The OP doesn't seem to have posted/responded to this thread, for a rather long time.

Not that it would be ESSENTIAL to do it. They also haven't posted in or created any other threads, as regards, Electronics (e.g. as a hobbyist). Apart from the recent Oscilloscope competition, and its associated thread.

I.e. If they are that keen on "our" forum, Oscilloscopes and Electronics. Why nothing ?

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2017, 12:42:00 pm »
I.e. If they are that keen on "our" forum, Oscilloscopes and Electronics. Why nothing ?

Maybe the reception he got put him off this place.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2017, 12:46:46 pm »

He did present himself rather poorly I'd say. To bad that the video he made came up late.

Online MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2017, 12:56:44 pm »

Is there any Electronics (and related) Forums. Where you can make an initial post (or 2nd or 3rd post). Basically saying "Donate $500, ossiliscope needed. gofundme-here.". Then within 30 minutes, you get your $500 ?

(Mostly a Rhetorical question).

EDIT:
But on the other hand, at a rather young age (hence lacking experience), and perhaps with too little parental involvement (hinted at by OP), it is maybe fair/understandable enough that such a person, can end up making poor judgements.
Hence why this thread, turned out the way it did.

EDIT2:
The rules on gofundme, are apparently a bit vague and wishywashy (when I quickly looked at it). But apparently, someone aged above (something like), 18 years old and above. Should have authorized (or SOMETHING, I just can't quickly understand it) the gofundme page.
To an extent, I CAN'T make out, from the rather long and difficult to understand, terms and conditions etc of gofundme.
There is some mention of 13 being the youngest age, but also it mentions someone of "legal age" or something. I.e. >= 18 years old.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 01:09:27 pm by MK14 »

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2017, 01:35:09 pm »
Is there any Electronics (and related) Forums. Where you can...

Don't know but shouldn't think so.

I am not casting blame, just supplying a possible answer. Like many, I was skeptical at the start for the reasons you give: first post, wants, no history, etc. The responses to that seem entirely reasonable to me, but from his point of view they would be pretty off-putting. Gosh, they would be for me and I've been around a bit :). Hardly any surprise if he just didn't bother coming back.

Presentation counts for a lot since it's the only thing we have to go on. But if that video he did appeared at the start of this thread I bet it would have made a vast difference.

Online MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2017, 01:47:19 pm »
Don't know but shouldn't think so.

I am not casting blame, just supplying a possible answer. Like many, I was skeptical at the start for the reasons you give: first post, wants, no history, etc. The responses to that seem entirely reasonable to me, but from his point of view they would be pretty off-putting. Gosh, they would be for me and I've been around a bit :). Hardly any surprise if he just didn't bother coming back.

Presentation counts for a lot since it's the only thing we have to go on. But if that video he did appeared at the start of this thread I bet it would have made a vast difference.

That does make sense. Looking at it from their point of view. They may feel that we have been hostile, and so have effectively left, out of frustration with us (as regards making further posts), the forum.

I'm convinced that Dave (EEVblog), needs to have some kind of rule in all further competitions. Whereby the entrant needs to either be at least some age (probably 18 years old) or have permission from a parent or guardian (who is at least 18 years old).

Almost all other competitions seem to have such a rule (age 18 and over). I think it has got some to do with the law (legality), but I DON'T know much about it. So it would be best, to get the answer/advice from someone who does.

E.g. If a competition for a soldering iron is held by a forum. No age restrictions. A young person enters it and wins the soldering iron. The forum owners then post it to them, without any age 18 requirements or asking the parents or guardians. I presume if the young person hurts themselves with the soldering iron, then the forum owners could get into trouble.

The fact that this is a world wide platform, also really complicates matters. Especially as regards the law.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 01:50:28 pm by MK14 »

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2017, 10:49:51 pm »
Well, no word from the kid. Probably just lost the charging cable to his iPad.

Offline BBBbbb

• Supporter
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2017, 11:29:16 pm »
Well, no word from the kid. Probably just lost the charging cable to his iPad.
Nope, he's been online in the meantime. Probably searching your name through the known sex offenders database  ;D

Jokes aside, I do believe he is a real kid and wanted a scope, but I am also pretty sure he doesn't get it's functionality completely, nor how much you could accomplish without one. I've seen guys do fantastic projects w/o a scope. Looks like the kid has just started exploring electronics as a hobby, read on a few sites how cool a scope can be, and decided he needs one. Therefore, he's not quite able to explain why he needs one.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf