Author Topic: Recommendations for Hobbyist Bench Power Supply  (Read 14199 times)

Offline TurboSamTopic starter

• Contributor
Recommendations for Hobbyist Bench Power Supply
« on: February 16, 2018, 04:44:19 pm »
I'm looking for a new or used power supply for hobbyist type work involving microcircuits. 

I don't think I need or want much above 15 volts or 1 Amp, but if that assumption is wrong, please weigh in. 

I've been looking on Amazon, but when I dig into the reviews the "inexpensive" (cheap?) ones turn out to be crap quality and/or unreliable.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be much appreciated!
Paralysis by analysis.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
Re: Recommendations for Hobbyist Bench Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 05:45:17 pm »
Look for used B&K, Lambda, Kepco, and HP power supplies. The models from Instek and Protek are also good quality, albeit far east in origin.

Offline taydin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 05:55:24 pm »
Don't get a power supply that doesn't allow setting a current limit. Being able to limit the current is very important when bringing up a piece of hardware for the first time. It also is indispensible when doing repair on an existing piece of hardware. With current limiting, you can find out that there is a fundamental problem with the circuit without making the problem worse. Without currently limiting, you plug in the hardware and you either hear an explosion, see wires melting or see the magic smoke release.
Real programmers use machine code!

My hobby projects http://mekatronik.org/forum

The following users thanked this post: Lucky-Luka

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 06:39:19 pm »
Another vote to make sure it's both CV and CC capable (constant voltage & constant current respectively).  :-+

The above recommendations are the way to go (I'd add Tektronix's CPS250 to that list). Currently however, there's a number of GW Instek GPC-3020 PSUs around for decent prices (it's a triple output model and has CV & CC modes). The one linked is less than $100 shipped.

FWIW, dual, triple, or quad output models tend to be a much better bargain IME than buying a lot of single output units.

As per voltage, if you'll be working on op-amps, you'll want more than 15V. ~30 - 32V models are usually the norm manufacturers produce as they're quite versatile.

Good luck.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline plazma

• Frequent Contributor
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 06:49:36 pm »
DPS5005 module and case  https://imgur.com/a/EIwgB
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 06:51:54 pm by plazma »

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 12:12:16 am »
Thanks to all of you for the replies to far...

I REALLY appreciate the specific product suggestions and/or links. 

That way I can track down the product, read the specs, see what it has (and why someone likes it), and extrapolate to other similar products. 

The hunt is half the fun.

Paralysis by analysis.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 01:15:14 am »
Another vote to make sure it's both CV and CC capable (constant voltage & constant current respectively).  :-+

The above recommendations are the way to go (I'd add Tektronix's CPS250 to that list). Currently however, there's a number of GW Instek GPC-3020 PSUs around for decent prices (it's a triple output model and has CV & CC modes). The one linked is less than $100 shipped.

FWIW, dual, triple, or quad output models tend to be a much better bargain IME than buying a lot of single output units.

As per voltage, if you'll be working on op-amps, you'll want more than 15V. ~30 - 32V models are usually the norm manufacturers produce as they're quite versatile.

Good luck.
That's a great price. I've been really surprised by the GW-Instek quality.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 03:06:15 am »

Good luck.

So, reading between the lines, I guess you're saying the 9 and 12 volt wall warts I have been using are not the best way to go....? :-DD
Paralysis by analysis.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 03:28:26 am »
So, reading between the lines, I guess you're saying the 9 and 12 volt wall warts I have been using are not the best way to go....? :-DD
They're great for finding faults in your circuit quickly or if you're a fan of smoke. ;D

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 04:00:36 am »
Yes, I've see the magic smoke once or twice...
Paralysis by analysis.

Offline Pitrsek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 09:36:26 am »
Look for used B&K, Lambda, Kepco, and HP power supplies. The models from Instek and Protek are also good quality, albeit far east in origin.
I would add TTI, Hameg and AMREL to the list

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 10:38:21 am »
If you are looking for really cheap I'd get a DPS5005 type module as suggested and add your own power source.
Having a fully featured controls with mA resolution is really handy for low voltage electronics as well for repetitive tasks like a power on and off button.
Perhaps one of your projects from there could be to design your own.

Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 11:04:19 am »
IMHO the GW Instek GPE-2323 is a good buy because it has accurate digital readouts. In my experience it is very handy to have a power supply with an accurate display because otherwise you need a multimeter to adjust the voltage precisely and/or measure the current. A lot of the older and cheaper power supplies come with needle or 3 digit displays which are nothing more than indicators.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 02:48:02 pm »
Yes, I've see the magic smoke once or twice...
Answered your own question.  :o  >:D

You could also consider the brands Rhode&Schwartz], KEITHLEY, [huge snip]...
I would add TTI, Hameg and AMREL to the list
Decent brands, but other than Keithley, EU centric (OP is in the US). Checked Keithly, and they're too expensive (the ones that are more on the reasonable side are High Voltage models). And some of them don't even have displays.

Itech may be OK, but Tenma is usually junk (Farnell owned trademark/brand, so manufacturers change frequently).

But as the use market is decent here, you get a lot more value for money this way (good gear for a fraction of the MSRP).

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 06:56:19 pm »
Decent brands, but other than Keithley, EU centric (OP is in the US). Checked Keithly, and they're too expensive (the ones that are more on the reasonable side are High Voltage models). And some of them don't even have displays.

Itech may be OK, but Tenma is usually junk (Farnell owned trademark/brand, so manufacturers change frequently).

But as the use market is decent here, you get a lot more value for money this way (good gear for a fraction of the MSRP).
The Tenma supplies Dave also sells seem to be quite decent. They're also sold as Korad and in some places as Velleman branded.

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2018, 08:51:31 pm »
Thanks all!  Your input shorted my "paralysis by analysis" to a brief (for me) one day. :clap:

I pulled the trigger on a $50 GW Instek GPC-3030DD on eBay with very reasonable shipping charges from what looks like a reputable seller of high tech stuff in Santa Clara, CA (so my guess is a lot of the items come out of the labs in Silicon Valley).  It looked like a good deal based on the prices I was seeing for the products you all mentioned, but if not, please be gentle.

I certainly saw the value attraction of multiple outputs (probably the same male gene that makes me thinks three cups of laundry soap must be better than one), but I have limited lab desk space and thought the smaller footprint would be a good first step. 

One step (and output) at a time.

Thanks again
Paralysis by analysis.

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 12:58:36 pm »
Can't go wrong for $50. Test it's functionality including a load test, earth/ground continuity and check AC/DC from the positive and negative output socket to earth/ground. Check overshoot and ripple (even better with a scope) to ensure sensitive circuits are not damaged or at least it lives up to specs.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf