Author Topic: Replacement knobs  (Read 2987 times)

Offline SpecmasterTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Replacement knobs
« on: May 27, 2017, 11:37:38 pm »
Does anyone know where I could source some replacement small knobs that use collets to secure them to a 2mm dia shaft? I'm refurbishing an old Hameg HM408-1A scope and just can't seem to be finding any luck in finding these as new scopes are in the main mush button controlled these days? I could post a photo of the knobs if it would help but in reality, any small knob that has the ability to be used on a shaft of only 2mm dia would suffice.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
Re: Replacement knobs
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 12:53:38 am »
A DIY 3D printed knob is a real option if you cannot find anything. The collet may be hard - may have to settle with a screw or friction fit. At least you can make the knob match the shape of the other knobs.

You do not have to own a 3D printer. There are plenty of online options to get small 3D parts printed surprisingly cheaply and there are a lot of free easy to use tools to design the STL file (such as Tinkercad). The surface finish can be pretty good now and there are options to get the surface immaculate - like the acetone vapour trick for ABS plastic (see Youtube), or even just auto body filler spray, sandpaper and a final enamel coat.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 04:43:34 am »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 08:41:03 pm »

Have you tried Farnell?

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1733008.pdf
No I had forgotten them to be honest, thanks, these look almost perfect for the job, the little pointers I could always file off as these are not required. Thank you for the information.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 07:47:41 am »
It seems that Farnell only do the 3mm shaft size after all. However going to the Elma website it transpires that the UK distributor for their range is:-

Foremost Electronics Ltd
Product lines: Rotary Switches/HMI

14 Bluegate Business Park
Great Bardfield, Essex, CM7 4PZ
sales@4most.co.uk
Phone: +44 1371 811171
Fax: +44 1371 810933

http://4most.co.uk/knobs-handles/elma-knobs

So likewise I'll need to speak to them as well
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 07:55:32 am »
As there'll be little torque on the connection just some shrink sleeving on the shaft to bulk it up to 3mm should do the trick.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline DK-1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 04:21:56 pm »
When i must find some knobs i try to find these in some professional audio spare parts shop because some "vintage" gears mount the same of the testing electronic stuff (not really vintage but 80/90 years).....my two cent  ;D
Somewhere in some PC i've many links of these shops ,now i go at home and try to find and post here if you still need

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 09:45:35 pm »
As there'll be little torque on the connection just some shrink sleeving on the shaft to bulk it up to 3mm should do the trick.  ;)
I did think about this before and discounted it because some of the shafts have on/off switches as well and they do have a fairly high torque requirement and also if I purchase these 3mm knobs and it doesn't work , I'll have wasted a reasonable chunk of cash as these aren't cheap and I really need 6 of them to match up.

I could end up looking around for a scope beyond hope and rob knobs from that if all else fails.

I have asked for a P&D on 6 knobs already from Foremost Electronics, lets see what they come back with. If reasonable, they are only a few miles from, I could collect them.
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf