Author Topic: Solartron 7075 Cable  (Read 3278 times)

Offline tggzzzTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Solartron 7075 Cable
« on: September 24, 2017, 02:31:01 pm »
I have a very poorly Solartron 7075; it powers on and all the Panaplex display segments light, but none of the measurement self tests are even remotely correct. Hence I suspect my best option is to part it out.

Now the Panaplex displays' prices can be estimated from fleabay - but I also have the rare measurement cable (Fischer connector, 4mm plugs, 2*sense + 2*force + guard) which I presume is original. None of the 7075s on fleabay have the cable, and it is pretty fundamental to making good measurements!

So, what would people pay for the measurement cable on its own?
Alternatively, how much would it add to the the price of a hypothetical working 7075?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
Re: Solartron 7075 Cable
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 11:54:19 am »
Hi, is the cable still available and compatible with 7071 ?

Cheers,
 DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 01:19:33 pm »
Hi, is the cable still available and compatible with 7071 ?

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Yes it is, and no. If it was compatible, then I would be using it with my 7081 :)

I had to fabricate a 7081 connector+lead, other people have replaced the connector with 4mm banana sockets. Definitely more than a little "Heath Robinson", but it works.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 04:49:22 pm »
If you decide to scrap the device I call dibs at the cable and the corresponding socket  ;D!!!

Cheers,
DC1MC

Offline TAMHAN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 11:55:45 pm »
My father and I am piling up the stuff to repair, especially when we finally get the new larger office.

So: if you tear down the unit, if you "just" tear out the Panaplex displays (to hell with them) and the Fischer connector (long cursing removed) and dont use a hacksaw for the process, we would like the carcass.
Feel like some additional tamile wisdom? Visit my YouTube channel -> https://www.youtube.com/user/MrTamhan for 10min tid-bits!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 12:18:02 am »
My father and I am piling up the stuff to repair, especially when we finally get the new larger office.

So: if you tear down the unit, if you "just" tear out the Panaplex displays (to hell with them) and the Fischer connector (long cursing removed) and dont use a hacksaw for the process, we would like the carcass.

I'm not quite sure what you include in the "carcass".

I'd vaguely thought about splitting it into:
  • panaplex displays on their board plus the PSU at the rear, since that clearly works and might be used as the traditional clock or other display
  • cable plus front/rear connector
  • the rest

PM me if interested.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 12:20:09 am by tggzzz »

Offline TAMHAN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 12:18:49 am »
Hello,
so we would not get the board housing the Panaplex?

Tam
Feel like some additional tamile wisdom? Visit my YouTube channel -> https://www.youtube.com/user/MrTamhan for 10min tid-bits!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 12:22:47 am »
Hello,
so we would not get the board housing the Panaplex?

What interests you? It sounded like you were interested in the carcass left after the displays and cable/socket had been removed.

Offline TAMHAN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 12:24:14 am »
Hello,
we wanted the carcass, yes. The idea was that we would adapt one of our Stinkely EmbCPUs to the PanaPlex sockets, and output data on a nice big display.

My worry was that you take out the whole front PCB of the machine...

Tam

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 10:27:21 am »
we wanted the carcass, yes. The idea was that we would adapt one of our Stinkely EmbCPUs to the PanaPlex sockets, and output data on a nice big display.

My worry was that you take out the whole front PCB of the machine...

That was indeed my idea, simply because I guessed people wouldn't have use for a 19" enclosure and hence it would be better to save shipping costs. However, your idea sounds like an excellent hack :)

I would suggest that I would sell it in two lots:
  • the cable plus front and/or rear connector, presuming I can remove them without damaging the rest of the kit. I'd snip wires and leave leads hanging, and remove connector's nuts - and wouldn't use a hacksaw :)
  • the rest, i.e. enclosure and all PCBs

Here are pictures of it "operating" (i.e. not "working") in test mode, plus a couple of snaps of the case. The 7081 is excluded; I've left it in the shot just as eye candy :)

PM me if interested.

Offline TAMHAN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 06:42:48 pm »
Hello,
this looks filthy - I take that we almost have a deal!

The switching power supply can go out, if you feel like being able to sell it on.

Regarding the displays: so you do not want to desolder them, but take out the whole front panel PCB? Or what? Sorry, I am a bit confused - if you want, we can have a phonecall or a skypecall.

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 04:37:37 am »
OK, now PM with a price + shipping to Germany for the test leads and connectors.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 10:26:48 am »
Hello,
this looks filthy - I take that we almost have a deal!

The switching power supply can go out, if you feel like being able to sell it on.

Regarding the displays: so you do not want to desolder them, but take out the whole front panel PCB? Or what? Sorry, I am a bit confused - if you want, we can have a phonecall or a skypecall.

You could have as much or as little as you wish, except the lead and connectors. The overall weight, which is largely due to the very solid chassis, is 10kg. You might like to consider having only the various PCBs

I've just partially disassembled it to see what's in there.

The first two pictures have the display on the left and the PSU on the right.

The third picture shows what you are really interested in: the display boards. I've lifted these out, and you can see the connections are -18V and +180V (yellow dots), and the control signals applied via a comb connector between the red dots. I believe this is "connector B" in the manuals, but you must verify that for yourself.

The fourth picture shows the naked panaplex and neon displays; damn they are just beautiful! Makes me wonder why I am prepared to let them go :)

PM me with what interests you.

Offline TAMHAN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2018, 01:15:40 pm »
Hello,
sorry for being a bit slow - work work work.

The display board carrying the PanaPlex displays...I am not sure. How much hardware is on the back of that PCB? If there is nothing, I would say that you should keep the whole board and try to peddle the IS on it as well - the IS are something my father and I would probably stockpile and forget about as we cannot sell them. But if you keep the IS, maybe they can make someone happy.

As for the rest, we would gladly take the whole machine if there is nothing else you can or want to sell. Paying the shipping is not an issue.

Tam

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 07:06:49 am »
Here, for reference, is a picture of my 7075 cable. The length of the cable excluding connectors is around 77cm.

The following users thanked this post: DC1MC

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2018, 08:11:27 am »
@tggzzz, this is a think of beauty, it will be a sin to destroy it  :(.

Many thanks for the pictures and the buyers of the rest of the 7075 are well advised to get it, it's really a pain to have proper test leads for these devices.

Back to the sockets + wire for me.

DC1MC

Offline giosif

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2018, 11:41:17 pm »
Sorry, a bit late to the party, but only now I managed to locate the input connector (I knew I had placed it "somewhere safe", but finding it later on...)!

@DC1MC, if you are still looking for the input connector, I have one I took from my (broken) 7075 that I can send you (just PM me).
Just to be sure, I am talking about the connector normally installed in the meter (let's call it "female" type), not the corresponding mating connector normally found with the cable (i.e. the cable tggzzz posted a picture with).

@tggzzz, I might be interested in some of the boards from your broken 7075, if any are still around?
Hoping to resurrect mine at some point...

The following users thanked this post: DC1MC

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2018, 04:26:00 pm »
Sorry, a bit late to the party, but only now I managed to locate the input connector (I knew I had placed it "somewhere safe", but finding it later on...)!

@DC1MC, if you are still looking for the input connector, I have one I took from my (broken) 7075 that I can send you (just PM me).
Just to be sure, I am talking about the connector normally installed in the meter (let's call it "female" type), not the corresponding mating connector normally found with the cable (i.e. the cable tggzzz posted a picture with).

@tggzzz, I might be interested in some of the boards from your broken 7075, if any are still around?
Hoping to resurrect mine at some point...

Thanks a lot @giosif, I've splurged and got 2 originals for my Solartron, keep it good and repair yours, it's frustrating with all this strange and expensive parts, but fun ;).

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf