Author Topic: Tesla model S battery modules for sale  (Read 40874 times)

Offline eric1565Topic starter

Tesla model S battery modules for sale
« on: March 01, 2015, 03:20:09 am »
I have 10 modules from a tesla model S for sale.    They were removed from a car with about 4000 miles.    The pack was a rev B pack.   

Each module has 444 cells in a 6S74P cconfiguration, 233 ah and 5.3 kWh.    6 packs in serial a of work well on a Curtis 144v set up and get u about 100 miles at low 300 wh/mi.   

Each module has its own Tesla BMS.  Each module has the ability to be heated/cooled.

Packs are 1900 Each shipped within the us

Packs ship from Houston tx

Let me know if you are interested

« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 03:41:55 am by eric1565 »

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
Re: Tesla model S battery modules for sale
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 02:21:24 am »
Very interesting, though probably beyond my hobby budget, at this point.

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 11:06:56 am »
WOW, solar panel storage energy tank?   :-/O
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 01:51:31 pm »
The car was rear ended high in the trunk area.   The scrapper said the lights from the rear were still intact.   If you are worried about cell damage there is not any.  We went up an inspected the pack before we bought it and there was no damage to it.   

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 09:54:35 pm »
We have 5 modules left.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 10:00:47 pm by eric1565 »

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 10:36:21 pm »
WOW, solar panel storage energy tank?   :-/O

The problem with those packs for home PV or other renewable energy storage is that in 6s configuration - the voltages do not work well with any standard inverters of 12. 24 or 48 Volts.

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 01:31:10 am »
That is true for the lower voltage inverters.   But higher power inverters do work.   The 120 and 144 inverters would work fine.   Yes you need 6 to 7 modules but that amount of power is what you need to power a house for about a week.   
5.3 X 6 or 5.3 x 7 = kwh

http://www.pmienergy.com/pro6-eng.php

This place has inverters with a large enough voltage swing.

Thanks
Eric

Offline okashira

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 01:38:18 am »
The INV-3000 would be perfect with 6S of these modules.
You'd only want to charge to 4.1V for ultra-longevity anyways. you'll still get 94% capacity that way.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 01:58:43 am »
Not for standard US 120/240 split phase though..

Offline okashira

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 03:17:51 am »

Yes, these modules are not for people unwilling to put even basic thought/design into their storage setup. I hear lead acid is easy to charge. You'll just need a few more solar panels to make up for their inefficiency.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 04:39:08 am »

Yes, these modules are not for people unwilling to put even basic thought/design into their storage setup. I hear lead acid is easy to charge. You'll just need a few more solar panels to make up for their inefficiency.

Whoa!

I'm actually a big fan of lithium batteries and think they eventually will become the dominant battery chemistry in home RE applications. I'm just pointing out that these Tesla packs are not well suited for the task in the U.S. based on currently available inverters. Sure you can find a way to do it with a custom inverter or by breaking up the packs, etc. but it won't be easy.

Don't shoot the messenger...

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 04:48:43 am »
I'm surprised Musk doesn't offer a suitable inverter... What is his company called, Solar City or something like that?

They've been doing a pilot project with a Tesla-designed and made home battery system, and Tesla recently said that they would be formally announcing a home battery system in the coming months, with production starting in as little as 6 months. I expect in the longer run the home packs will be using modules from retired vehicle packs, but even then, that doesn't mean an inverter will be sold separately.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 05:03:27 am »

You don't technically need 120/240 split phase if you are going to go off grid and disconnect the incoming supply. If you are willing to sacrifice the few 240 V circuits you can make the whole house 120 V and use other fuels for the high energy demands.

Offline Mad Professor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 01:20:41 pm »
eric1565: If you still have have any for sale, it might also be worth putting up a post over at: http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/

** EDIT **
I see you already have, http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/tesla-model-s-module-sale-143626.html

Serves me right for jumping in with both feet.  :palm:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 01:22:33 pm by Mad Professor »

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 09:30:51 pm »
I'm surprised Musk doesn't offer a suitable inverter... What is his company called, Solar City or something like that?

Tesla is already supplying battery packs for solar city. But they are not from their cars. They are partnering with Schneider Electric (formerly Xantrex) and I believe are using their inverters so likely using  16s (nominal 48V) battery packs.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 09:38:37 pm »

You don't technically need 120/240 split phase if you are going to go off grid and disconnect the incoming supply. If you are willing to sacrifice the few 240 V circuits you can make the whole house 120 V and use other fuels for the high energy demands.

Oh absolutely.  I didn't mean to imply otherwise - I should have stated that explicitly. It's just that the inverters linked to which could handle these battery packs were not for either 120V inverters nor 120/240V inverters. 

Non of the major off grid or grid interactive inverter makers (Outback, Schnieder, Magnum, Victron) make inverters compatible with these packs.  And as far as I know no one makes a compatible inverter for use with 120V or 120V/240V split phase power standard in the US.

I suspect, if Lithium battery packs (likely LiFePO4) become standard for home RE systems, the major inverter manufacturers will come out with inverters that accept more varied battery bank voltages.  It's only the legacy of 12, 24, 48V lead acid battery banks that are responsible for their current offerings.

Offline okashira

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 12:09:40 am »

Oh absolutely.  I didn't mean to imply otherwise - I should have stated that explicitly. It's just that the inverters linked to which could handle these battery packs were not for either 120V inverters nor 120/240V inverters. 

Non of the major off grid or grid interactive inverter makers (Outback, Schnieder, Magnum, Victron) make inverters compatible with these packs.  And as far as I know no one makes a compatible inverter for use with 120V or 120V/240V split phase power standard in the US.

I suspect, if Lithium battery packs (likely LiFePO4) become standard for home RE systems, the major inverter manufacturers will come out with inverters that accept more varied battery bank voltages.  It's only the legacy of 12, 24, 48V lead acid battery banks that are responsible for their current offerings.

LiFePO4 is not a good choice for home storage. It doesn't have the calendar life of NCA or maintained lead acid.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf