Author Topic: FS TP4056FLEXADV-V2.20 Lithium battery charger/boost converter 3-in-1 module  (Read 1668 times)

Offline soubitosTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • I sell on Tindie
Hello!
I just finished the first of the new batch of my TP4056FLEXADV module now v2.20
TP4056FLEXADV is a TP4056 based 1S lithium battery charger module with the intention to be FLEXible and ADVanced against other similar modules out there...
It is 3-in-1 module also as it has an XL2011 step down voltage regulator to safely power the actual charger build around the classic TP4056 which is charging the 1S lithium battery or batteries if more in parallel which on their turn can either offer their power directly (with undercharging/short protection) or deliver 4.2-24V and around 1A max through an MT3608 boost converter.
Attached are photos from top and bottom of the pcb.
The battery in the photos came out of an old mobile phone and similar batteries fit nicely under the pcb to create a more self contained battery pack.
Input voltage can be anything between 8-25V directly in screw terminal or DC jack and also 5V from any microUSB phone charger etc.
A jumper is setting the charge current from 60mA up to 1A (60-120-250-500-700-800-900mA-1A) so no need to desolder/solder tiny SMD resistor to do that.
Another jumper gives control of the boost circuit to an external source.
Screw terminals make it easy to use and the micro USB connector selected is at least much harder to break from the PCB unlike most others in the market which flake off with a simple pull of the charger cable (if you have/had one, you probably know that already)

I am waiting for a couple components still in the mail before i can finish the rest of this batch and plan to sell on Tindie.
The price there is going to be $3.49 per module plus $3.49 worldwide shipping (unregistered airmail-unfortunately registered from Greece is +$3!!!!), plus $0.75 for each additional module ordered. Orders of 5 or more will be delivered with registered airmail!

I am also looking forward to discuss with anybody willing to resell them or wants to order 10-20 or more or if anybody wants one for testing/evaluation etc purposes

TP4056FLEXADV-V2.20
VIN 5V USB / 8-25V DC Jack/screw terminal
Battery Li-Ion 3,7V
VOUT VBAT or VBAT-24V
Charge current 60-120-250-500-700-800-900-1000mA
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 08:12:50 am by soubitos »

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • I sell on Tindie
The voltage regulator specs are for input voltage 8-45V... the capacitors i selected are good up to 25V... obviously it is easy to build them with higher voltage input capacitors and make it 8-45V capable

• Frequent Contributor
    • I sell on Tindie
TP4056FlexAdv is a 1S lithium battery charger build around the infamous TP4056 IC with input voltage regulator and output boost curcuit.
What is it?
TP4056FlexAdv-v2.20 is a 1S lithium battery charger build around the infamous TP4056. It is a 3 in 1 module which includes in a single PCB a voltage regulator so it can be powered from a wide selection of power sources including solar the main circuit which is the TP4056 charger and battery protection circuit and a third part is the booster circuit which allows for output from battery level up to 24V.

Why did you make it?
I am sure all who start working with lithium batteries face the same problem.. how to charge them safely. Over time one of the most common and trusted circuit available is the one build around the TP4056 module with many available out there in various incarnations and which all have their good and bad points... they are also cheap... very cheap... Cheap comes with its inherited problems... the tiny pcbs come with microUSB connectors easily flying off the pcb, if you want to power them with anything other that the microUSB you need to solder wires on the pcb, if you need to power them with anything other than 5V you need a voltage regulator, and in most cases, you also need a third module to bring the battery voltage up to the level you need for your application.

What makes it special?
TP4056FlexAdv stands for a TP4056 charger which is Flex-ible and Adv-anced. All connections to the module are either via connectors or screw terminals - No more soldering a bunch of wires to a tiny pcb Input voltage can be either 5V USB or 8-25V from a variety of sources including solar! - You can use your old router or laptop or phone power supplies without problems. You can even connect it to a small solar panel and it will charge your batteries. - No need to buy another module to lower the voltage of most available power sources at your disposal! The battery or batteries are being charged safely and are protected against short circuits, overcharging and undercharging! You get access to the battery voltage (a load powered directly from the battery with protection) but you also get a booster circuit capable to deliver up to 24V. The booster circuit can handle loads up to 2A but in practice this depends on the battery charge level and the desired output voltage. Typical is 500-800mA, good to power a wide variety of loads. No need to buy a third module to elevate the battery voltage!

TP4056FlexAdv is only 49x49mm and it can fit in small cases. You can build a self contained power source with old or new mobile phone batteries, there are many nokia-sony etc batteries that will fit nicely under the pcb saving space and making possibly to power your projects for hours!

There is more to it! In typical TP4056 modules, the charging current is set via a fixed smd resistor at 1A... this is too much of a current for smaller batteries you may need in your projects.. TP4056FlexAdv being flexible, offers the possibility to change charging current via a jumper choosing between 60mA and up to 1A (60-120-250-500-700-800-900-1000mA)! No need to desolder and solder tiny smd resistors anymore!

And if all this is not enough, TP4056FlexAdv is kind-of-smart too! You can activate the booster circuit by an external source like a micro-controller, the arduino you use it with, a sensor etc.. you simply move a jumper (allowing for external signal to take over) and apply a voltage over 1,5V to enable the booster... Booster is activated by default delivering from battery voltage (4,2v max) up to 24V. Once you switch over to an external control source though, once disabled, it will allow battery voltage to the output without boosting it... once enabled, it will boost the battery voltage to the desired setting.

In first photo you see a prototype TP4056FlexAdv module being tested with a battery from an old SONY mobile! Second photo is the bottom side of the module where the resistors for the charging current selection are placed. Third photo shows the SONY battery attached with double sided foam type tape under the module.

• Frequent Contributor
    • I sell on Tindie
It is finally approved to sell on Tindie!

https://www.tindie.com/products/11347/

• Frequent Contributor
    • I sell on Tindie
I offer 10% discount to the first 15 who will order a TP4056FlexAdv v2.20 from Tindie
Your discount code is 7F37A8B3

18pcs left from this batch, more will be available as soon as i get the parts for them!

Offline orion242

• Supporter
Got mine today, looks nice enough.  Can you explain the adj+ terminal and how to enable the boost converter on the output?

Does the LED go out or change color when the charge is complete?

The following users thanked this post: soubitos

• Frequent Contributor
    • I sell on Tindie
Got mine today, looks nice enough.  Can you explain the adj+ terminal and how to enable the boost converter on the output?

Does the LED go out or change color when the charge is complete?

Thank you very much for your business! I really appreciate your support!
I have already emailed you the a pdf with details, shall you need anything else feel free to contact me directly.

The boost converter is enabled by default. There is a jumper which when removed allows to connect its control input with an external source (can be a microcontroler, switch etc). When disabled the ADJ terminal floats at approximately battery level. When enabled, booster ic kicks in and boosts the battery voltage up to 24V (the higher the output voltage, the lower the current it can deliver). Disabling the booster circuit when not needed will save a little bit of battery life.

The LED actually signals various conditions... Besides the obvious Green=Charged Red=Charging if there is no battery present OR there is a problem with the battery, Green is ON and Red pulses to indicate the problem.

Hope i answered your questions but like i said, feel free to contact me anytime shall you need anything else!
Again, thank you very much

PS Now that i think it does not hurt to post the doc file here too!

Offline orion242

• Supporter
Thanks, that doc is what I needed.  I had a 1200ma battery from a usb bank that the controller in went tits up after a month.  This making use of the that battery nicely.  Thanks!

The following users thanked this post: soubitos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf