Author Topic: Uni-T UT61E Scam?  (Read 6322 times)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Uni-T UT61E Scam?
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2018, 10:33:58 pm »
Very nice. Are you going to upgrade it? It's kind of screaming at you to "fix" it. ;D

That listing sure had all the characteristics of a scam. Glad you won this time. :-DMM
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2018, 06:26:57 pm »
Yes, I probably will. I still haven't decided if I slap some beefy lower voltage (275V) MOVs I have here or if I actually buy some 1kV ones - I don't intend to use this in anything higher than that anyways.

One issue the MOVs cause is an increase in the input capacitance (the residual on the capacitance meter is quite high: 275pF). This tends to influence also the bandwidth. If I am going to use this only for electronics then I wouldn't do it - otherwise I will not only do that but give it a full joeqsmith's treatment with black goo, beefier thermistors and TVS diodes.

The single thing I most admire is the ease to adjust/calibrate it. That alone is an interesting platform for experimentation.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2018, 11:16:10 pm »
Nice one buddy! That's awesome you got a decent meter and not a bum deal!
I thought that had scam written all over it! You were rewarded with a proper meter for having the nuts to just go for it.
I'm looking at a 289 that's going kinda cheap too on ebay so may just pull the trigger and go for it, I have been swithering a couple days now. If I get a stinker so be it. Ebay refunds if you get done  right?

I stand corrected with your meter! Nice one, hope you get plenty enjoyment from it!
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2018, 11:41:13 pm »
Yes, eBay refunds you if the item you receive isn't as listed. Of course, check the specifics for your country. I don't know if there are regional differences in their guarantees.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2018, 12:13:26 am »
Thanks, Terry01. I also hope you get a good deal in your 289. Just be sure to read the details carefully. As bitseeker said, the refund and return rules vary from place to place - especially returns, which can be quite costly overseas.

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2018, 12:56:09 pm »
I went for the 289 and it seems to be an alright buy too!  :)

£340 brand new with in date cal certificate...delivered!

Not deal of the century but a good deal for me so long as it doesn't crap out on me in a week or whatever  :wtf:

I've given it a quick functional test along side my Brymen and all seems well. My Brymen trounces it in the lower capacitance measurements though, the Brymen is impressive even down in the low pF!  Otherwise it's almost same same with them both so happy with that! I have a Fluke 177 too so given the 289 has an in date cal Cert and it matches the Brymen as good as can be expected I have used it to check the 177 too and even that is still very very close to on the nose!

So I am thinking I got a decent 289, something to check my Brymen and other Fluke against and all for the £340 cost of the 289 so I am well happy. I have a cheap ebay voltage standard so i'll note the measurements now with all my meters and can keep an eye every few months and will see if anything wanders out of spec. I know it's not going to be anything scientific but it'll be more than enough for my needs and peace of mind.

£340 well spent!  8)

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2018, 01:54:19 pm »
I am glad you are happy with your new Fluke! As blueskull mentioned in the other thread, keep that supercap in check and have fun! Gotta love that new meter smell... :)

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2018, 03:29:34 pm »
Thanks.  :)

Yes i'll keep an eye on the cap for sure. I was going to check it when I get the new lithium changed in but they haven't arrived yet. They should be here tomorrow so i'll do it then. I just have to make sure there is no crud around it right and keep an eye on the battery consumption too? If it starts running away with the power the cap is a good 1st bet?
Thanks again for the "heads up" i'd never know to check these things myself.

Offline jayjr1105Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2018, 03:31:42 pm »
Hey just checking back in on this.  I see someone took a chance and won!  congrats!  I still regret not taking the same chance.  |O

Not that I need another meter, but this would have been fun to mod, especially the touch sensitive or light sensitive backlight mod.

Offline lordvader88

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2018, 03:40:29 am »
I just ordered 1 of these from something that looks like a scam too.

Asked the seller to cancel, so far no reply. They have no sold +25 ebay says. Oh man I hope it's for real, but it takes months to arrive from China anyways.

AARRRGGGHHH

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2018, 01:49:54 pm »
Awe! I hope it turns out ok for you too and you get a proper meter. These things go so cheap why take the chance for the sake of a couple of quid?

Good luck anyways buddy....

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2018, 01:53:52 pm »
I was following your other thread as well and hope for the best.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf