Author Topic: Uni-T UT61E Scam?  (Read 6312 times)

Offline jayjr1105Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Uni-T UT61E Scam?
« on: February 09, 2018, 01:41:18 pm »
http://r.ebay.com/O5u9nQ

Seller has 0 feedback and it's $20 cheaper than MSRP. 

I emailed him and asked for actual pictures of the meters and he said the pictures were already in the auction (they are the stock photos).

Seems scammy to me but I've been wanting a UT61E for some time, at this price, I might bite.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: Uni-T UT61E Scam?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 02:22:29 pm »

I emailed him and asked for actual pictures of the meters and he said the pictures were already in the auction (they are the stock photos).

Seems scammy to me but I've been wanting a UT61E for some time, at this price, I might bite.
What is an r.ebay.com link? Is that a referral link?

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 02:38:53 pm »
DON'T DO IT BUDDY!

"Based in Singapore, pws-19_8 has been an eBay member since Oct 06, 2017"

Simply click on his Ebay  username! The stuff is posted out of California yet he's based in Singapore and been on the go 5 months with no feedback or anything.

Up to you if you wanna take a HUGE chance....but I wouldn't!   :--
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline Avacee

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 02:42:02 pm »
Has scam written all over it but for comedy value you could ask what serial number range they are from.

The boxes have the silver sticker with the serial number (Edit: with barcode) on the outside and the units have the matching serial number (and barcode) on the back.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 02:43:35 pm by Avacee »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 02:57:18 pm »

What is an r.ebay.com link? Is that a referral link?
Just an ebay shortened url.

Dang scammers always getting my hopes up.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 03:02:34 pm »
Ha...rather than be pissed you missed it, be happy you saved your cash my friend!

I'd say a scam too good to be true!

Save a wee bit longer and get yourself a proper one, you'll be much more happy with that!  :)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 07:22:48 pm »
Definitely a scam. Over 2000 items listed, yet only sold 11 and no feedback. There's bound to be a flood of bad feedback once the unfulfilled orders start to pile up.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline G0WZB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 08:33:24 pm »
Looks dodgy but may be legit, If you pay via paypal you will get your money back if it is a scam?  Paypal always side with the buyer.
The Devil made me do it!!

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 08:49:30 pm »
Looks dodgy but may be legit, If you pay via paypal you will get your money back if it is a scam?  Paypal always side with the buyer.

You will, but its really not worth anyones time (I know because I did it in the last thread we had).
There is still risk if you forget to file a claim, you have lost your money.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Online hugo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 08:58:54 pm »

I've been there, done that:  ;)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/deal-alert!-ut210e-us-$17-27-on-ebay!/msg1301787/#msg1301787

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 11:59:38 pm »

I've been there, done that:  ;)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/deal-alert!-ut210e-us-$17-27-on-ebay!/msg1301787/#msg1301787

Been there, done that also.  It was easy to get the money back because the scam was the seller hoped the buyer would forget.  The seller sent some crap to someone else to getting a shipping number.  You just lose time.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 04:40:22 am »
Now it says 1 sold, Last one.  Originally there were 5 available, so down to 2 now?  So fishy.  The guy still claims those photos were his and not stock photos.  But still refuses to take a regular pic for me with a date stamp on a note next to it.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 03:11:35 pm »
Let's see... I got a tracking number and the Fedex in LA said they received a package. Hopefully it will not be a bag of bricks.

For me in US it was a very low risk proposition, especially beacuse the delivery date was not far away and eBay buyer protection gives full confidence the transaction can be cancelled. So far I don't see a problem, but obviously that may change.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 07:07:47 pm »
Something was delivered to my house today. I will look at it tonight to confirm it is not a bag of rocks, but I think it is a legit seller and offer. 

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 07:43:58 pm »
Something was delivered to my house today. I will look at it tonight to confirm it is not a bag of rocks, but I think it is a legit seller and offer.
An unexpected twist!

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 08:43:09 pm »
Perhaps random or early buyers get the real thing so they leave good feedback and draw in those on the fence.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 08:57:13 pm »

Excellent suspense on this iteration of eBay Mysteries.

Perhaps random or early buyers get the real thing so they leave good feedback and draw in those on the fence.

It's possible. The seller has three good feedback reports so far. It's also possible that it's a legitimate new seller who is taking a hit on profit to get going. I'm skeptical, but am happy to be proven wrong. More good sellers are certainly welcome.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 10:41:14 pm »
My bet this is not a scam.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 01:43:27 pm »
I regret not snagging one of these.  Paypal will cover you on a scam.  Oh well.  I don't need it but always wanted one of these with all the mods you can do.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 01:54:28 pm »
I doubt very much the seller will be putting the $20 in for you. I also doubt the seller will be selling these to make a loss.

Have you ever heard the saying if it looks too good it more than likely is?

I am sure I remember someone saying a while back there were Chinese UT61E meters that were sub standard so maybe that was what was on offer??

For $20 extra get yourself 1 you can be sure of. It's hardly going to break the bank right?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2018, 03:12:34 pm »
Ok, the package arrived. Sorry about the photographs... I have nothing better with me.

Poorly packaged (only on a plastic bag), but the box is sturdy to hold the rocks inside.

Well, at least it is marked as UT61E

No rocks! The kit seems complete. Does it work?

Well, it turns on. And the probes are not bad. The serial connection is a bit dated, but I have never seen such accessory for semiconductor testing.

Here it is in its full glory

With a mandatory quality control tiny issue (a small blob of solder between the display and the visor)

Verdict: it is not a scam. Not only that, but the meter fares quite well when compared to the U1282A.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 03:14:47 pm by rsjsouza »

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2018, 03:45:20 pm »
Does it measure main voltage or  :-BROKE ?
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2018, 04:05:29 pm »
zucca, it does.  :-DD

Earlier this morning I shot a full review for my YT channel and used it against my Keysight U1282A (not yet released). It is quite accurate, quick autorange settle (when compared to the U1282A) and reasonably well made.

BTW, the small solder blob was an isolated issue. I disassembled the meter before testing it and found no evidence of other quality problems.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2018, 09:26:05 pm »
Congrats, you got a good one. :D

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2018, 09:55:04 pm »
Thanks bitseeker.

Interesting to know is that this version has the same PCB as the "GS" version (picture here), only lacking the higher IR fuses and the beefier SG1~4 MOVs.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf