Author Topic: Vintage radio collection including parts  (Read 2355 times)

Offline jtuTopic starter

• Supporter
Vintage radio collection including parts
« on: March 17, 2018, 12:06:57 pm »
Hi,

My father died 2 years ago. He was engineer and one of his hobbies was vintage radio repair. He made a small collection, ~20 radios + spare parts. 20th century, couple pieces seem to be from before 50ies.

Most should be working condition (untested). Not that there is a lot of AM radio stations left in the world :D There is just one where I live, Merkurs @ 1485kHz

Now I'm thinking what to do with the stuff.

I don't want to go into vintage radios myself. My interests in electronics lay elsewhere. But throwing it out feel like a shame.

I'd sell it if there would be some private collectors market with interest. I checked ebay, very little of similar stuff. Plus that would be quite an effort to sell it piece by piece...

I dropped this into local electronics enthusiasts forum. There were couple reponses, people interested in a few pieces.

You can check the pics here.

Veiksmi,
J?nis
Veiksmi,
Jānis

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Vintage radio collection including parts
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 12:21:29 pm »
Hi,

My father died 2 years ago. He was engineer and one of his hobbies was vintage radio repair. He made a small collection, ~20 radios + spare parts. 20th century, couple pieces seem to be from before 50ies.

Most should be working condition (untested). Not that there is a lot of AM radio stations left in the world :D There is just one where I live, Merkurs @ 1485kHz

Now I'm thinking what to do with the stuff.

I don't want to go into vintage radios myself. My interests in electronics lay elsewhere. But throwing it out feel like a shame.

I'd sell it if there would be some private collectors market with interest. I checked ebay, very little of similar stuff. Plus that would be quite an effort to sell it piece by piece...

I dropped this into local electronics enthusiasts forum. There were couple reponses, people interested in a few pieces.

You can check the pics here.

Veiksmi,
J?nis

Some cool stuff that I don't know what it is but well cool for sure. It would be nice if someone who restores this kind of stuff could get it and fix it up properly. Someone who understands what they are looking at would be nice.

Hope it ends up in the correct place buddy..

Thanks for sharing pictures!  :-+
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

The following users thanked this post: jtu

Offline jtuTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 12:32:09 pm »

Some cool stuff that I don't know what it is but well cool for sure. It would be nice if someone who restores this kind of stuff could get it and fix it up properly. Someone who understands what they are looking at would be nice.

To be honest, I understand most of it myself and could figure out the rest :D It's just not my thing.

I'd really appreciate somebody who likes it to show up :)
Veiksmi,
Jānis

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 12:57:53 pm »
Wow! That is a big pile of awesome parts!
This is what heaven must look like for a guitar amp tech!
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 11:13:08 pm »
Hope you can find a new home for it. Lots of neat old radios.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline medical-nerd

• Regular Contributor
  • What's that coming over the hill?
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 11:01:00 am »
Hiya

With such a great collection it may be worthwhile joining the retro radio forum:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php

The members there can then advise you..

Cheers
'better to burn out than fade away'

Offline jtuTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 08:03:20 pm »
With such a great collection it may be worthwhile joining the retro radio forum:

Thanks for the idea! I'll definitely go in this direction. I joined http://antiqueradios.com/forums/, waiting for my first post to be approved. Then will copy it to the forum you suggested too.
Veiksmi,
Jānis

Offline jtuTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 08:22:22 pm »
Hmm, after reading the rules of https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php I'm not so sure... Seem they do not want people like me there. They explicitly say that offering something there is privilege of regular members. I'm not going to be one.

Under that light I rechecked the rules of http://antiqueradios.com/forums/ They are not as strict as the other forum, but I got the feeling that might still be the case. Let's see if they will approve my post.
Veiksmi,
Jānis

Offline jtuTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 06:24:46 am »
Ok, http://antiqueradios.com/ accepted my post and there is response. See here if interested.
Veiksmi,
Jānis

Offline jtuTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 05:53:48 am »
https://www.vintage-radio.net/ accepted too. See the thread here.
Veiksmi,
Jānis

Offline jtuTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 02:10:19 pm »
Hmm... No activity there I could transform to more actions for me. Currently the feeling is that either I explore those few local contacts I have mentioned or pack it and conserve as much as possible and move to the attic... First one leads to never-ending process of piece-by-piece transactions. Second... to giving the task to my kids when I die? Hopefully not :D

Sorry if I sound like complaining. I'm just trying to think aloud here, but maybe I am too...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 07:59:18 am by jtu »
Veiksmi,
Jānis

Offline Squarewave

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 12:47:25 pm »
Don't give up on the vintage Radio Forum just yet. Moving on a lot of equipment can be slow and take a lot of time but you'll soon find somebody interested in something that you have, perhaps somebody already is interested but they are giving it some thought before contacting you.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf