Author Topic: Wanted/Will buy: Banana plug meter probes  (Read 4091 times)

Offline tom66Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
Wanted/Will buy: Banana plug meter probes
« on: July 06, 2012, 08:32:34 pm »
I am looking for multimeter probes with banana plugs for an older multimeter.

The probes need to be at least 600V CAT rated, but preferably 1000V CAT rated and capable of 2A. Anything else is optional extra.

The banana plug sockets are 4mm diameter. I am looking for at least two, preferably four so I can do four-wire resistance measurements.

Name your price including postage to UK.

Thanks

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
Re: Wanted/Will buy: Banana plug meter probes
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 09:22:33 pm »
You won't find any properly CAT rated (i.e. not faked, and according to current standards) probes with normal banana plugs for hand usage. It is all safety banana plugs, or for handsfee usage, or Chinese crap.

You find the Chinese crap with fake ratings on eBay. You find 1000 Vrms rated for handsfree usage probes with normal banana plugs e.g. from Pomona (rated 60 Vrms when handheld).

Getting a proper, non crap, multimeter with safety banana sockets should be the right thing to do if you really need a measurements system (probes plus meter) for a particular CAT measurement category.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 09:26:32 pm »
Be aware of safety hazards as noted above.

I think your best plan would be to buy an aftermarket probe set and cut the shrouded plugs off the end, replacing them with standard 4 mm banana plugs. Try at least to use plugs without any exposed metal screws.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 10:00:17 pm »
Be aware of safety hazards as noted above.

I think your best plan would be to buy an aftermarket probe set and cut the shrouded plugs off the end, replacing them with standard 4 mm banana plugs. Try at least to use plugs without any exposed metal screws.

Good point - I didn't think about the unshrouded-ness. Ignore the CAT rating then but the wire should be rated to 600/1000V. I will make sure to disconnect the source before measuring anywhere near this. At the moment I don't have any plans but it's good to have the capability just in case.

alm

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 10:11:44 pm »
You could use banana plugs with a retractable sheath. Pomona sells probes with retractable sheaths and probes with unshrouded plugs. These may not have CAT ratings, but apart from the plugs they are built to the same standards as the CAT IV rated ones with shrouded banana plugs. Any decent distributor (eg. Digikey) should stock Pomona products. Hirschmann may offer something similar in Europe, although I think they offer mainly modular probes (separate leads and probes).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 10:24:44 pm »
Prices start at £20 on Farnell  :( I only got the meter for £45!

I can buy some reaaall cheap probes from fleabay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multimeter-High-quality-pair-banana-plug-to-test-probe-rod-cable-leads-1000V-10A-/221044874843?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item33774d1e5b#ht_3639wt_1189

Maybe I can borrow work's megger to check the 1000V claim  ;D

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 10:33:28 pm »
They're not cheap! I get ones from the likes of DX for half that. They're actually okay, but I wouldn't trust them to 1kV. I've got proper ones for that, courtesy of fleabay in the states.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 08:22:48 am »
I'm not working on mains installations with a 6.5 digit multimeter, that's for sure. I've got my BK 2709B for doing that.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 12:20:06 pm »
Why are you looking for CAT rated probes then? What kind of circuits are you working on?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 02:21:53 pm »
If you get a set of leads with the safety shroud all you need to do to make them fit old type banana sockets is cut the shroud off with a Stanley knife.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf