Author Topic: What are PCBs out of a Sony 32" 720p LCD worth ?  (Read 2410 times)

Offline lordvader88Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
What are PCBs out of a Sony 32" 720p LCD worth ?
« on: November 23, 2018, 03:12:27 am »
I found a Sony 32" 720p with a cracked screen. And I'd list the PCBs on ebay, but IDK what they are really worth. Shipping will be $20-30 so IDK if it's even worth it

Offline strawberry

• Super Contributor
Re: What are PCBs out of a Sony 32" 720p LCD worth ?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 11:38:10 pm »
try local pick up
or sell to repair service as is

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 11:44:22 pm »
well check with the part number on google, many tv parts sites may show it ??

I have changed my girlfriend old lcd tv,  its an Daytek dt4660, an 720p  tv,  many people remember daytek monitors not th Daytek tv in Canada, it was bought in 2007 at Costco  loll

It is perfect  never had problems, its heavy as hell (over 60 pounds), metal back panel casing ... and the new samsung 65" 4k tv is 52 pounds  lolll

The point is: I dont even know how much to sell it myself or dont even know if someone would even be interested to buy it even if the v is perfect ??.

If you dont know if the part is good or not, try to sell it for 20$  and check if peoples are interested  ??  it will or may be more problems to pack it/them than sell it.

Found out an 42 " lcd 1080  tv in the dumpster, it was very clean,  bought an t-Conn board for 20$ (had no image)  and found out the lcd drivers ic's in the panel are bad ... returned it to the recycling  .... 

But scored pretty good looking plasma Sony tv, it was an commercial model, stated defective on Kijijii ads for 25$,  bought an new backlight inverter 70$,  oh boy this tv was incredible, very good image.  I have given it to my friend, still working up to this day.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 12:43:10 am »
For this to be worth anything to someone, the first thing is to be able to state (with confidence) that each PCB is functional.  If you can't do that then any potential purchaser will have to accept that it will be a crap shoot - and that risk element alone will turn off a lot of people.

The next is the range of TVs in which the boards have been used and whether any given board and revision will be suitable.

Third is the likelihood of somebody wanting to spend the time and effort on fixing up a specific model of a 32" 720p TV when 55" 4K units are in the price/performance sweet spot these days.

well check with the part number on google, many tv parts sites may show it ??
Absolutely do this.  If you can find a new board listed with a price, then that will help you get an idea of the top end (that you could never get).  I would suggest you might be able to get half of that figure.

Here is the basic trick in pricing anything:  Look at it from the perspective of being the buyer.  That is, if YOU were interested in buying this item, how much would YOU be comfortable in paying, if the items had the history that these do?  Forget how much you would like to get.

I'm not saying there isn't potential to find a buyer - just that I can't see the value in trying, unless you come across someone who buys carcasses for parts mules.  I would expect it will cost you more in time than any real financial benefit.

Certainly give it a go - but don't feel too bad if you find yourself just wanting to strip out some parts and send the rest to your local electronics recycler.  This step really goes against the grain for me - but I have come to appreciate that you need to be selective in how you utilise your time and storage space.  I have tens of kilos of "potentially useful" stuff that I have sat on for 20 years that has been sent to such greener pastures.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 12:55:05 am by Brumby »

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 04:39:25 am »
32"
I'd guess less than nothing, even if they are mint and verified working.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 05:40:31 am »
Also be prepared for the fact that it is a small market.  The person who wants that board may not show up this week, or this month or even this year.  Are you willing to store it and relist it until a buyer shows up?
No

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 06:20:05 am »
Also be prepared for the fact that it is a small market.  The person who wants that board may not show up this week, or this month or even this year.  Are you willing to store it and relist it until a buyer shows up?
No
Why not? Sometimes there's more than just greed.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 11:47:29 pm »
Sorry.  Editing error on phone.  I didn't intend to give answer, just ask question.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 11:52:43 pm »
Sorry.  Editing error on phone.  I didn't intend to give answer, just ask question.
That happens sometimes!  ;D

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 11:54:03 pm »
The thing that would be the main turnoff for a lot of buyers would be the 720p resolution. That’s pretty low these days. Considering that here you can buy a 100% working second hand one for $40-50, I doubt anyone is going to bother repairing one.
Recycle it and move on to more interesting projects.

Offline lordvader88Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 05:43:04 pm »
Yeah and it will cost money to list them. Locally the market is very very small.

I think I rather pull them apart and play with the chips to learn something and get some free smd compnents, since I barely have any. IDK what to do with the nice SMPS, and it to the pile for now, or no, replace the hotbrick that powers my 27" IPS monitor

If only the screen worked, I'd have a chance at fixing it and selling it. The prices on individual PCBs on ebay are all over the place

Yeah I guess I'll pull it apart and add it to the pile, but the pile is still small, so that's ok.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 09:24:15 pm »
If cracked LCD at least partially works, like at least shows some reaction to you accessing menu, switching outputs, then I think it's safe to assume PCBs are OK. For PSU would be enough if LCD backlight is working and there are no bulging electrolytic caps. As of price, it depends on particular chassis/model. Say if main board often dies in this model and is hardly available, you could even get something like $70 for it. Or say $10 if it rarely fails and is easily available.

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 12:18:53 am »
Why would anyone do a board swap, paying good money for a replacement, when you can buy a whole new (used) known working screen for less than the price of the board.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 02:28:06 am »
Why would anyone do a board swap, paying good money for a replacement, when you can buy a whole new (used) known working screen for less than the price of the board.

So you know how he is planning to price the board?  Your question is solid information when selecting a price.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf