Author Topic: Where to buy  (Read 10773 times)

Offline Mr.BatataTopic starter

Where to buy
« on: August 26, 2014, 11:06:29 pm »
Hi so I am looking for a decent soldering iron (EU plug) with heat control.
But I'm really a noob (starting in Electronics) in this subject and I was wondering if you can point me the right direction.

Are there any under 50€? I'm not looking for any professional thing just enough to solder and desolder components.

Thanks in advance,
Potato

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
Re: Where to buy
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 01:51:28 am »
Where exactly are you located?

If you go into your user profile and set your country, the flag will be displayed under your userID for each post. Makes it a lot easier to post relevant links (i.e. availability & pricing).  ;)

For that kind of budget, you're going to be hard pressed to get quality, other than used. New, you'll be looking at Chinese stations. May work, but won't win any performance awards, may not be comfortable enough to use for an extended period of time (i.e. iron handle gets hot after ~1 hour). There can also be safety issues, so it's a really good idea to go over their internals before ever plugging it in to catch any glaring wiring faults.

Used is a viable option IMHO, but at your current budget, even this may be tough to pull off (you'll want a working unit that has the minimum number of pieces to work as shipped). If you do buy used, make sure you can get tips before buying, and ideally, spare parts as well (heaters, iron, ...). For a new, brand name station, you might want to take a look at an Ersa iCon Nano (nice balance of price & performance in the EU market).

Either way, I suspect you'll have to save up additional funds if you want a decent quality unit.

Offline Mr.BatataTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 02:15:23 am »
Where exactly are you located?

Totally forgot the most important part :P (solved) I'm in Portugal.

And BTW are there any downsides (cons) to Ersa iCon Nano's small size?

Offline hamster_nz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 04:24:39 am »
If you truly are a beginner, and depending on your goals (and the availablity of lead solder) you might survive a good few years with a generic 40W soldering iron from a hardware store. This is the model I used for many a through-hole kit.

http://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/handtools/soldering/fuller_soldering_iron_40w_112491/ (about USD$15)

Just look for one with a fine conical tip, and try to get one with a stand (or buy a stand). 40W might be a bit hot - a 25W model is fine for light duty electronics work.

The iron is not production quality or professional grade, but it has built audio amps, RGB LED cubes, joined many wires and made many vero-board projects.

If you want to go to something a little less brutish, or need a little bit of temperature regulation for working with small parts, a local version of something like http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=TS1540 is twice the price, but still well within your budget.

You really don't need a $100 iron for simple weekend projects... sure, it's nice to have, but I think it is nicer to have $80 of parts to play with and a $20 iron.

Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 05:31:15 am »
And BTW are there any downsides (cons) to Ersa iCon Nano's small size?
Size won't be an issue (Nano can do both PTH and SMD with ease). Several members have them and have been really happy.

As per using a stick iron, it's completely up to you. A soldering iron gets a fair bit of use though (I'm currently assuming you will stick with electronics), so I'm of the "don't cut corners" on a soldering station (don't need top end, but at least get an entry level station from a major brand). They're nicer to use, which results in less aggravation.

Easier proposition in the US due to entry level station pricing (i.e. just under 100USD shipped), but used could help you with the financial impact.

Offline paul18fr

• Contributor
  • Hobbyist & beginner
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 06:53:54 am »
Hi

I'm currently hesitating in purchasing such kind of soldering station (I'm a beginner as well) ; Hakko are too expensive in EU and if I can find such product in some Chinese websites, I cannot know if it's an imitation or not

http://www.batronix.com/shop/soldering/Atten-AT937b.html
cost : 54€ approx including VAT and shipping ; nevertheless it might be necessary to change the original tip (overcost)

Any opinion from skilled people ?

Paul

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 07:40:11 am »
I'm currently hesitating in purchasing such kind of soldering station (I'm a beginner as well) ; Hakko are too expensive in EU and if I can find such product in some Chinese websites, I cannot know if it's an imitation or not
Regarding buying a Hakko, your risk of a fake is high if it's not coming from Hakko directly or an authorized distributor (genuine Hakko's aren't cheap in the EU). Some good copies in terms of appearance, but they fall short on the performance (not duplicating the circuits).

Weller, Ersa, and JBC have a large presence in the EU market. So if you're not opposed to used, that could get you a better station that meets your budget. Something to think about.  ;)

Offline paul18fr

• Contributor
  • Hobbyist & beginner
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 07:50:58 am »
Weller, Ersa, and JBC have a large presence in the EU market. So if you're not opposed to used, that could get you a better station that meets your budget. Something to think about.  ;)

Weller station price start at about 100€ for a 40W power (enough ?) otherwise it's about twice or 3 times that price !!!
The Atten 937d station is a 50W power one coming from a German website that is (I hope) a serious one ...

I'll have a look to the 2 trademarks you sopke to ....

Offline Ribster

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics prototyper. Design. Prototype. Consult
    • Ash Labs
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 09:43:18 am »
Paul,

I have a soldering station that i want to sell.
I bought it here: http://www.eleshop.nl/aoyue-968-alles-in-een-station-p-65.html
It has its quirks and the thermal power is not that great, but it's good for a beginner + the heatgun is quite nice!

I see you live in france. If it's not too far from me, i can drop it off so no postage is needed.
I'd say, PM me and we will discuss a price. I'm thinking €60 or something.. I'm happy to help a beginner with it.

Greetings
www.ashlabs.be
Design and manufacturing of embedded hard- and software

Offline paul18fr

• Contributor
  • Hobbyist & beginner
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 11:22:21 am »
Ribster,

I'm absolutly not familiar with soldering station using hot air ; I prefer to use more "traditional" tools including iron/ceramic tips, etc. ...

In any way thanks for the proposal

Paul

Offline Ribster

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics prototyper. Design. Prototype. Consult
    • Ash Labs
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 11:29:07 am »
Paul,

This station is all in one. That means it has a soldering iron, with a couple of tips and also a hot air station.
So it's both.

Greetings
www.ashlabs.be
Design and manufacturing of embedded hard- and software

Offline DanielS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 12:40:01 pm »
I got my Weller WESD51 when I saw it on sale for $100 CAN instead of the (back-then) regular $200 MSRP.

Even at $100, it is still expensive for what little hardware actually is in that thing but at least it has not given me anything to complain about in terms of performance and reliability - much more repeatable results than 15-25W irons.

Offline paul18fr

• Contributor
  • Hobbyist & beginner
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 01:08:00 pm »
Even at $100, it is still expensive

Ounce again it's much more expensive in EU (250€ and more i.e. more than 330 USD)  :palm:

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 04:44:57 pm »
Weller station price start at about 100€ for a 40W power (enough ?) otherwise it's about twice or 3 times that price !!!
You'd have to link the model, as some of what Weller sells isn't worth bothering with (firestick tied to a light dimmer control type of design).

The Atten 937d station is a 50W power one coming from a German website that is (I hope) a serious one ...
Atten, along with the other Chinese station manufacturers, are building to a price point, usually the lowest possible. Which is why the quality and performance aren't there by comparison.

No miracle finds in China IME, where you're going to get a professional quality station for 10% of the cost sort of thing for a new station, that's just a fantasy. Only possible chance at this, is buying used (why I keep mentioning it, and it's the best way to get things on the cheap, as others paid the premium before you).

Otherwise for a new station, the Ersa Nano is the best deal you're going to come across in the EU from what I've seen available, and that's not cheap (runs ~230EUR at Reichelt for example, which is ~300USD). It's a step up from the Hakko or Weller entry level stations from what I understand (and have seen in YT videos), but it better be at 3x the price. JBC is another top tier manufacturer, so not cheap either.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 05:31:44 pm »
Came across these people the other day they have Aoyue soldering irons starting at £34.38 inc tax.

http://www.pcb-soldering.co.uk/soldering-irons-1.html

Offline paul18fr

• Contributor
  • Hobbyist & beginner
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 05:46:07 pm »
For the beginner and hobbyist I am, the Weller WHS40 might be a good compromise at the only condition 40W is enough for a good work, is the case ?
(I don't need and care about digital display) ....

I need to buy additional equipments and basivally I need to rationalize my budget

I'll add a look after for a more "professional" tool, if necessary ....

Thanks for having bracketed some reflexions

Paul

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 05:57:53 pm »
Came across these people the other day they have Aoyue soldering irons starting at £34.38 inc tax.

http://www.pcb-soldering.co.uk/soldering-irons-1.html

Careful with them. They spam me ever since I once dared to order from them. The also took the liberty to change the selected shipping method for the order.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 06:10:48 pm »
You'd have to link the model, as some of what Weller sells isn't worth bothering with (firestick tied to a light dimmer control type of design).

Atten, along with the other Chinese station manufacturers, are building to a price point, usually the lowest possible. Which is why the quality and performance aren't there by comparison.

No miracle finds in China IME, where you're going to get a professional quality station for 10% of the cost sort of thing for a new station, that's just a fantasy. Only possible chance at this, is buying used (why I keep mentioning it, and it's the best way to get things on the cheap, as others paid the premium before you).

Otherwise for a new station, the Ersa Nano is the best deal you're going to come across in the EU from what I've seen available, and that's not cheap (runs ~230EUR at Reichelt for example, which is ~300USD). It's a step up from the Hakko or Weller entry level stations from what I understand (and have seen in YT videos), but it better be at 3x the price. JBC is another top tier manufacturer, so not cheap either.

I am in market for new iron in UK too.
Had a couple of Magnastats, but they are "gone" now.

Have been zoning in on the Ersa irons, but have found it difficult to find the differences between the irons.

Whilst the Pico and Nano share the same appearance, and the esd difference clear, it seems they all have the same power, what is difference that is seen in the prices?

(replacement pencil is more than cost of entire Pico station)

Looking like the Nano is the one for me, but wouldn't like to miss something crucial in the ICon1 due to lack of information.

Should note that I quote NanoFrog as I had read quite a lot of his posts whilst searching through the Euro iron hunt on EEV! (hoping he might chip in! :) )

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 10:48:19 pm »
Weller WHS40
Firestick and a light dimmer, not temperature controlled (no feedback loop whatsoever).

Another major problem with this particular iron IMHO, is the tip selection. A whopping 3 of them, and there are posts that indicate the tips wear out fast (as in a handful of joints). Absolutely pathetic, and a waste of money compared to a temp controlled Chinese unit, it's that bad (poor tip selection and lifespan that really hurt this particular Weller IMHO).

might be a good compromise at the only condition 40W is enough for a good work, is the case ?
Generally speaking, Yes in terms of stick irons. Don't get hung up on Watts though, as it's not necessarily an indicator of how well an iron will actually perform.

For example, the nominal rating on a JBC T245 iron is 55W vs. say 80W or even 120W Wellers, yet the JBC can outperform them (better thermal transfer due to heating element is in the tip itself vs. tip is butted up against the heating element in the case in the Wellers).

Have been zoning in on the Ersa irons, but have found it difficult to find the differences between the irons.

Whilst the Pico and Nano share the same appearance, and the esd difference clear, it seems they all have the same power, what is difference that is seen in the prices?

(replacement pencil is more than cost of entire Pico station)

Looking like the Nano is the one for me, but wouldn't like to miss something crucial in the ICon1 due to lack of information.
Pico and Nano each have their own irons respectively, while the larger iCon 1/1C/2/2C uses the larger iTool iron. Though they share some basic heating element tech, the Pico iron /= Nano iron /= iTool (suspect they get more advanced as you progress through them). The larger iCon base units also have the ability to use other tools, such as hot tweezers and such (Pico and Nano do not; they only work with the iron that's included).

Pico is stated as an "Amateur" version on it's datasheet (here), so they've cut features to meet it's price point (also under the impression this one is made in China, which would help reduce production costs).

Nano is their actual entry level professional station, and has more features (ESD compliant being one of them, that happens to not be software based). Iron should be more rugged, it has a nicer stand, and it may have setback capability when the iron hits the stand*.

*Accelerometer in the iron, but not sure which one for certain (here) as it didn't mention the exact model (suspect it's the full fledged iTool iron, so not sure on the Nano). Feature isn't critical by any means, but it's nice to have (helps extend tip life, but not a substitute for proper care <keep tips clean by tinning>). Even the more simple timer only version of it in the Pico is better than not having it, but again, proper tip care is what's really important (these are just niceties that get added on).

More basic things that you'll appreciate on a professional unit, would be the quality of the iron, shorter tip-to-grip distances, and silicone wire for example (flexible and burn resistant over PVC). Available tip selection is also rather important (certainly want more available to you than the pathetic 3 offered for the WHS40).

FWIW, the RDS80 & Analog 60 versions are older models using an older iron heating technology. Could be worth getting if you find the right deal though (still fine stations from what I can tell; bit slower to heat, but may not translate into better real world performance). If you can get a good quality joint in say 1.5 - 2 seconds, and you don't have to wait on it to make the next one (recovery is quick enough), it's doing it's job.  ;) The rest is just icing. Just be warned though, you may find that the icing is addictive.  And like most addictions, it tends to be expensive. >:D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 10:51:03 pm by nanofrog »

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 11:00:05 pm »
Thanks Nanofrog, really appreciate that :)

Clear that the Nano would be a good iron for my needs.
Still need other tools, and I don't think tweezers are on the horizon anytime soon that ICon1 is OTT.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 02:05:00 am »

Still need other tools, and I don't think tweezers are on the horizon anytime soon that ICon1 is OTT.
You'll use the soldering station far more than tweezers (a #5 and a #7 may surprise as to how much you can do with them). For lots of SMD work, you may find you prefer a vacuum tool anyway.

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 09:20:18 pm »

You'll use the soldering station far more than tweezers (a #5 and a #7 may surprise as to how much you can do with them). For lots of SMD work, you may find you prefer a vacuum tool anyway.

Ordered a Nano, and took a punt on an Atten 858d too.
I was going to say that nearly clears the list of things to get... but...
The list split, small things to get, big things to get, consumables, sundries, unexpecteds!

Thanks Frog (the "Nano" is getting too much now :P).
Didn't intend to hijack, so I'll exit and bump my own crappy thread with any info of nano when I get chance (I will even break that warranty seal and photo 857s internal for Lightages :P)

Cheers :)

Offline kingofkya

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 10:08:58 pm »
Also make sure to start with good solder,  and desolder wick  it make a huge defrance even when used with cheap $10 units. I honestly thing that is more important that a good soldering iron when starting. Just my 2 cents, also the butane soldering irons might be worth a  look $20-30 and you have some limited heat control and they work great for other things too like heat shrink tubing, and hot air reflow on small parts if your very very careful.
http://www.amazon.com/Weller-P2C-Butane-Soldering-Iron/dp/B000B61L0G/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1409263689&sr=8-4&keywords=butane+Soldering+Iron

There are other brands but this is the one i generally use Solder. $20-25
KESTER 24-6337-8800

And for the wick $15-25
CHEMTRONICS 10-25L

Add butane refill $5-20 and i think That would come in close to $60usd so edge of your budget.

Sorry us priceing hopefull its not too far off what you would pay localy.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 10:14:59 pm by kingofkya »

Offline paul18fr

• Contributor
  • Hobbyist & beginner
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2014, 06:44:08 am »
I decided break my "piggy-bank" (right expression?) to purchase a Pico ....
Additional request: I'm still trying to find the kind of tip is provided (conical one???)  - could you advise me the right one for almost all the applications (serie C I think)?

Thanks all for the feedbacks

Paul
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 08:12:22 am by paul18fr »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2014, 09:08:29 am »
Additional request: I'm still trying to find the kind of tip is provided (conical one???)  - could you advise me the right one for almost all the applications (serie C I think)?
There's really not a one-size-fits-all tip, so you'll want several basic shapes, and different sizes (i.e. fit the tip to the size of the pad).

Few posts in other threads that should help (lots to read, but worth it IMHO; there's some duplication, so it's not as bad as it might seem).
advices for a new soldering station
Distilled water
Really confused about these tips

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf