Author Topic: (DONE) WTB [DE/EU]: Rohde & Schwarz CMU200 Universal Radio Communication Tester  (Read 15481 times)

Offline senselessTopic starter

• Contributor
Hi everbody,

I'm searching for quite some time now for a reasonably-priced Rohde & Schwarz CMU200. Found some on ebay's US site, but they all will be send with global shipping program (over Pitney Bows Inc.). So the seller will send to an US address and Pitney Bowes will send to me including taxes handling etc. So far so good, except that the internet is full of problems with Pitney Bowes (customs office demand another payment of duty...). So I do not want to take a risk and try to avoid ebays GSP.
Hence, my request here.

So the perfect unit would have the following features/options:
  • FMR6 Intel based CPU
  • CMU-B17 Analog I/Q IF interface
  • CMU-B41 Audio generator and analyzer; includes audio frequency (AF) generator, voltmeter, distortion meter

Nice-to-Have:
  • CMU-B11/B12 OCXO
  • CMU-B96 2nd TX RF channel with full functionality; for generation of small-band signal (GSM BCCH, channel A) or of wideband signal (WCDMA BCCH, channel B)

I already know http://www.eqtsolutions.fi/products.html#product1 but they seem to have no matching units according to their xlsx.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 09:29:22 pm by senseless »

Offline ap

• Frequent Contributor
    • ab-precision
So what is your target price then, for those who can offer one?
Metrology and test gear and other stuff: www.ab-precision.com

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
You'll have a tough time finding one with the I/Q option, they seem to be rare and expensive.
Fingers crossed for you!

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
Hi Senseless,

do you have any documentation on those equipments thats not available online? I have a CRTU, that has the same software/hard as the CMU200 and would like to have more information on it...

thanks

• Contributor
So what is your target price then, for those who can offer one?

Depending on options of course, ~1k€.

You'll have a tough time finding one with the I/Q option, they seem to be rare and expensive.
Fingers crossed for you!
Yes, unfortunately most of them does not come with B17. Nevertheless there is one reasonably priced one on ebay, but US so only ebay GSP for me.

Hi Senseless,

do you have any documentation on those equipments thats not available online? I have a CRTU, that has the same software/hard as the CMU200 and would like to have more information on it...

thanks

No, not yet. I planned to write to _Wim_ when I got my unit. He seems to be a nice person: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/cmu200-erratic-levels-outside-1200-2200-mhz/msg877526/#msg877526 ;)

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
No, not yet. I planned to write to _Wim_ when I got my unit. He seems to be a nice person: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/cmu200-erratic-levels-outside-1200-2200-mhz/msg877526/#msg877526 ;)

Thanks :-). Just drop me an pm with your gmail address, and I will share the all the docs I have on the CRTU an the CMU200 (everything is uploaded to google drive)

The following users thanked this post: senseless

• Contributor
Thanks :-). Just drop me an pm with your gmail address, and I will share the all the docs I have on the CRTU an the CMU200 (everything is uploaded to google drive)
I assumed gmail was a typo, but 'google drive' makes me unsure  :-\
So probably I need to create a gmail-address? Asked here, because MasterTech then knows what to do ;)

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor

The following users thanked this post: senseless, PartialDischarge

• Contributor
Maybe this works also (never tried this)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2HFOktZ1e3FMnp2QzVaVVV2Unc

Thank you very much! Works for me.
But i do not know if it is a good idea, because the source of the documents is now public...  :-\

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
Gone again :-)

The following users thanked this post: senseless

• Contributor
Maybe i should change the title to:

WTB: a nice US guy who wants to play with a CMU200 for a few days and ship it to me afterwards   ::)

I'm becoming quite desperate during my search for a suitable CMU in Europe. Does some forum members have experience with shipping to other forum members?
Do you think someone could be interested in playing around a little with the unit for compensation?

I definitely wont use ebays global shipping program and Pitney Bowes (they are removing bubble wrap for repacking into smaller packets.. etc.).
There are some other options (e.g. myus.com) but they are ridiculously expansive unfortunately.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
I'd just use the Ebay global shipping program. I have used it many times without problems. Remember internet is filled with clueless people who just complain because they don't understand what is going on. For starters: Pitney Bowes doesn't repack anything which isn't already properly packed. Really ask yourself why should they go through the extra hassle??
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
Are you really sure you want a CMU shipped from the US? The instrument is super heavy, it won't ship cheap regardless of what you do. Plus, you pay VAT on top of both shipping cost and the price you declare when it's imported.

:S

I sold a few instruments to forum members, I think it went OK. The only oversea sale was ~6kg and therefore quite affordable.

Some years back I bought a tek 7104 from the US. Freight was expensive...

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
Caveats on the Ebay Global Shipping program as a buyer:

o If you're VAT registered but use your personal eBay account to make purchases (I don't have a business eBay a/c), there appears to be no way to claim back or offset the import VAT. The duty/taxes/shipping all come as a single Pitney Bowes payment without being itemised.

o I have also had an item returned to seller by the GSP because the dimensions were too large. I purchased two items from the same seller, the other one came through. However the seller switched labels on the shipments. I have yet to receive the "too large" item that was returned to sender over eight months ago, nor will eBay or the seller refund as the label states "delivered" due to the switched labels. Try explaining that for the fifth time to an eBay call centre rep: frankly I'd rather poke my testicles with cocktail sticks thank you.

o It's fairly slow and tracking isn't accurate.

• Contributor
Re: WTB: Rohde & Schwarz CMU200 Universal Radio Communication Tester
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 08:41:49 am »
I'd just use the Ebay global shipping program. I have used it many times without problems. Remember internet is filled with clueless people who just complain because they don't understand what is going on. For starters: Pitney Bowes doesn't repack anything which isn't already properly packed. Really ask yourself why should they go through the extra hassle??
Well, I could just rely on what others say, because I never used it before. E.g. who claims that they do repacking.
So is your experience, that they declare customs/fees correctly? Because I've read a lot about they are not paying them and you have to pay them again at customs office...

Are you really sure you want a CMU shipped from the US? The instrument is super heavy, it won't ship cheap regardless of what you do. Plus, you pay VAT on top of both shipping cost and the price you declare when it's imported.

:S

I sold a few instruments to forum members, I think it went OK. The only oversea sale was ~6kg and therefore quite affordable.

Some years back I bought a tek 7104 from the US. Freight was expensive...
No, I'd love to buy a unit from Europe, but I am searching for quite some time now and did not find any unit with B17 for a reasonable price.
For the US unit I am interested in, they say shipping is just 30$ and 250$ custom/fees/VAT. I'm perfectly fine with that, but I do not trust Pitney Bowes....

Caveats on the Ebay Global Shipping program as a buyer:

o If you're VAT registered but use your personal eBay account to make purchases (I don't have a business eBay a/c), there appears to be no way to claim back or offset the import VAT. The duty/taxes/shipping all come as a single Pitney Bowes payment without being itemised.

o I have also had an item returned to seller by the GSP because the dimensions were too large. I purchased two items from the same seller, the other one came through. However the seller switched labels on the shipments. I have yet to receive the "too large" item that was returned to sender over eight months ago, nor will eBay or the seller refund as the label states "delivered" due to the switched labels. Try explaining that for the fifth time to an eBay call centre rep: frankly I'd rather poke my testicles with cocktail sticks thank you.

o It's fairly slow and tracking isn't accurate.
Thanks for your experience! And again, against using GSP...

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2016, 11:30:07 am »
So is your experience, that they declare customs/fees correctly?
So far it never went wrong. Still Pitney Bowes is way more expensive than what the local post office charges for handling the import charges. In that regard it may make sense to ask the seller to send it by USPS directly. They will have to make an invoice either way. The GSP program is there because Ebay saw an opportunity to make money from the handling of the customs charges and too many people are utterly clueless about import charges so it saves them complaints at their helpdesk.
Because I've read a lot about they are not paying them and you have to pay them again at customs office...
If you have to pay twice you should be able to get your money back from the tax collectors office. Most certainly NOT from Pitney Bows or Ebay.

edit: typos
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 12:42:08 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline samofab

• Regular Contributor
I can also attest that ebay global shipping works much much better and cheaper then any other shipping option. No hassle with customs office, reasonable speed and always cheaper (usually much cheaper) than other options.

Largest item received from USA was 30kg.

Offline ZL1CVD

• Regular Contributor
I've purchased *HEAPS* of gear through eBay with and without using their global shipping program. No problems to date with the global shipping program itself or customs charges, etc. Last item purchased was a CMU200 was sent via UPS and took AGES and was way over priced for the service. Complained in the end. I suspect it depends on country though with some needing bigger bribes than others  :wtf:
73s de chris zl1cvd

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
$30 for shipping seems unreal low for an item that weighs 18kg, is that with insurance? I'll have to read up on the Pitney Bowes thing.

Offline stuartk

• Regular Contributor
You can check out this auction:

http://www.go-dove.com/en/events?cmd=details&event=501471

It's in Canada and they are selling a bunch of the CMU 200's and 500's also. I'm not sure if they have the specs you are looking for.

You may get the device for cheap(ish) but shipping to Europe won't be cheap, I'm guessing $260 CAD for a device of that weight if shipped by a private citizen. With these auctions you have to hire a shipping company to send it to you which would cost even more. I suspect the local UPS store may be able to go in, pick it up, pack it and ship it to you. You should find out a shipping price before you bid.

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2016, 04:22:40 pm »
So far it never went wrong. Still Pitney Bowes is way more expensive than what the local post office charges for handling the import charges. In that regard it may make sense to ask the seller to send it by USPS directly. They will have to make an invoice either way. The GSP program is there because Ebay saw an opportunity to make money from the handling of the customs charges and too many people are utterly clueless about import charges so it saves them complaints at their helpdesk.
I asked the seller for direct sending but he denied. However, the unit I was interested in is already sold. eBay auction: #282045205687 Any comments on the price? I think it was good for the options it has.

If you have to pay twice you should be able to get your money back from the tax collectors office. Most certainly NOT from Pitney Bows or Ebay.
Why? I mean if Pitney Bowes never payed any duties but rather kept the money for themselves, why should the tax office give me money back? Or what I am missing?

I can also attest that ebay global shipping works much much better and cheaper then any other shipping option. No hassle with customs office, reasonable speed and always cheaper (usually much cheaper) than other options.

Largest item received from USA was 30kg.

I've purchased *HEAPS* of gear through eBay with and without using their global shipping program. No problems to date with the global shipping program itself or customs charges, etc. Last item purchased was a CMU200 was sent via UPS and took AGES and was way over priced for the service. Complained in the end. I suspect it depends on country though with some needing bigger bribes than others  :wtf:
73s de chris zl1cvd

Thank you both for your experience also. With some reports of success I am not that mistrustful of Pitney Bowes any more like in the beginning when reading only bad ratings for PBI.

$30 for shipping seems unreal low for an item that weighs 18kg, is that with insurance? I'll have to read up on the Pitney Bowes thing.

Hmm, good point, but it seems that there is no insurance in the GSP?!

You can check out this auction:

http://www.go-dove.com/en/events?cmd=details&event=501471

It's in Canada and they are selling a bunch of the CMU 200's and 500's also. I'm not sure if they have the specs you are looking for.

You may get the device for cheap(ish) but shipping to Europe won't be cheap, I'm guessing $260 CAD for a device of that weight if shipped by a private citizen. With these auctions you have to hire a shipping company to send it to you which would cost even more. I suspect the local UPS store may be able to go in, pick it up, pack it and ship it to you. You should find out a shipping price before you bid.

Wooh, nice hint, quite a lot of interesting gear there. Will check out the shipping conditions soon. Thanks!

Offline Astrodev

• Regular Contributor
I am glad to see that others have spotted the flaws in the Global shipping program as the detail is not in the Ebay part but in the Pitney Bowes T's and C's, I was going to buy a couple of EDC reference standards earlier in the year but had to pull out because of the problems over the GSP.

Anyhow the reason for my post is that someone mentioned that you were looking for a CMU200 or CRTU in the EU and I have a pile of CRTU's I got a few months back all of which have the I/Q boards in them the configs are as follows:

FRM6 with V3.23 firmware
K6 option with CH1 and 2 enabled
B2
B7 I/Q IF
B9 but not with the 2 Aux RF generators only the 2nd RF generator

Unfortunately I only have one with the AF option and I was planning on keeping that one as it also has the GSM license as well.

I don't know if any of these would be of interest but I am in the UK so shipping should not be a problem.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Offline msraya

• Supporter
  • EA7EE
I will not use the ebay global program..

But, I don't think to be difficult to find a CMU200 in EU... There are several at ebay right now, and you can contact several sellers of used Equipment... You can add B41 after, but i think B7 will be more complicated.

The CMU200 is cumbersome for use as Analog Service Monitor... so please don't mind to use this way directly..
Except Generator/SA

I have luck, and found a CMU200 with audio tester (B41), second generator (B95) and I/Q with some cosmetic flaw in Ireland, and I get it from Ebay for a price lower than 1Keur. It is working good, ex-NOKIA equipment, but, I plan to use it only via GPIB as I need to work with the generator and audio test at the same time and This is only possible vía GPIB commands... so not easy for the a user not experienced on GPIB control...

I advise you to study the manuals (user, programing, service) and to wait with patience until it appears one unit with good price in the second hand market.

Good Luck!
Manuel
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 07:41:03 pm by msraya »

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
I will not use the ebay global program..

But, I don't think to be difficult to find a CMU200 in EU... There are several at ebay right now, and you can contact several sellers of used Equipment... You can add B41 after, but i think B7 will be more complicated.

The CMU200 is cumbersome for use as Analog Service Monitor... so please don't mind to use this way directly..
Except Generator/SA

I have luck, and found a CMU200 with audio tester (B41), second generator (B95) and I/Q with some cosmetic flaw in Ireland, and I get it from Ebay for a price lower than 1Keur. It is working good, ex-NOKIA equipment, but, I plan to use it only via GPIB as I need to work with the generator and audio test at the same time and This is only possible vía GPIB commands... so not easy for the a user not experienced on GPIB control...

I advise you to study the manuals (user, programing, service) and to wait with patience until it appears one unit with good price in the second hand market.

Good Luck!
Manuel

I also found one <1k€ with B12,B17,B21,B41,B52, B54 and B96 fitted (and lots of software options). Should be possible when patient for that price. Anybody know it is possible to enable more software options? Would like to play around with K14 (FM transmitter)...

Offline msraya

• Supporter
  • EA7EE
Hello _Wim_ 

I try to load the hard disk from CMU200 in VmWare, but the main program ask for the keypad and terminate...
I will see if I can emulate or crack the keypad...

In the manual for GSM here: https://www.artisantg.com/info/ATG9aseb.pdf  show:

"If disabled is indicated, the software option must be enabled using a key code; see section Creating a new Software Configuration on page 1.4"

On page 1.4 reads: "A new CMU software option purchased is ready to operate after it is enabled by means of a key code
supplied with the option. This key code is to be entered into the Option Enable popup window which in
turn can be opened via from the Setup – Options menu. "

I don't know where is the Setup - Options menu...

Manuel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf