Author Topic: WTB [EU / RO] Programmable linear power supply  (Read 2363 times)

Offline crispusTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
WTB [EU / RO] Programmable linear power supply
« on: December 14, 2017, 05:35:16 pm »
Hi

I'm looking for a linear programmable (ethernet is a must, preferable LXI)  power supply.
2/3 channels ~30V/1A+, ~5V/3A+

Something similar to DP832 / SPD3303

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 11:04:03 pm by crispus »
I know I'm numskull, but I look around me and I feel better.

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
Re: WTB [EU / RO] Programmable linear power supply
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 10:38:42 am »
LAN requirement definitely limits your choice to newer gear like the Rigols etc. are you sure a serial port won’t do the trick?

What’s your budget?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 11:35:50 am »
LAN requirement definitely limits your choice to newer gear like the Rigols etc. are you sure a serial port won’t do the trick?

What’s your budget?
Or USB. There are lots of options if you settle for that.

Offline crispusTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 06:39:40 pm »
I was looking for Rigol DP832 which is €500 shipped. I don't want to pay more.

I'm gonna used it in an automated testing environment where the computer is not necessarily in the vicinity of the bench, Ethernet is more convenient
Otherwise I should have a RPI like system, with USB adapters for serial or not having right drivers on Linux (a lot of things can go haywire and last thing I want to do is to debug).

I'm not excluding totally USB/serial/etc, but is not my first option.
I know I'm numskull, but I look around me and I feel better.

Offline lundmar

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 03:54:27 am »
I'm looking for a linear programmable (ethernet is a must, preferable LXI)  power supply.
2/3 channels ~30V/1A+, ~5V/3A+

Something similar to DP832 / SPD3303

I would go for the DP832 as it is fully Ethernet/LXI compliant. Oh, and replace its noisy fan.

The slightly cheaper SPD3303 is also a fair choice but unfortunately it lacks VXI-11 discovery and it is _very_ slow at downloading screenshots in case you need it.

When it comes to LXI compatible DC power supplies there really are no cheaper choices that I'm aware of.

However, if price is no concern I would go for a Rohde & Schwarz NGE103 or one of the new Keysight ones but these are very expensive :(
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 03:57:44 am by lundmar »
https://lxi-tools.github.io - Open source LXI tools
https://tio.github.io - A simple serial device I/O tool

Online s8548a

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 07:43:32 am »
There is a dual channel open source PSU called EEZ H24005 available.

But the next manufacturing run is not yet announced.
https://www.crowdsupply.com/envox/eez-h24005/updates/production-is-ramping-up#next-manufacturing-run

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 04:36:58 pm »
I was looking for Rigol DP832 which is €500 shipped. I don't want to pay more.

I'm gonna used it in an automated testing environment where the computer is not necessarily in the vicinity of the bench, Ethernet is more convenient
Otherwise I should have a RPI like system, with USB adapters for serial or not having right drivers on Linux (a lot of things can go haywire and last thing I want to do is to debug).

I'm not excluding totally USB/serial/etc, but is not my first option.

DP832/831 are trivially controlled from python on RPI, Ethernet, RS232 or USB. It is my favorite control platform for long running/standalone stuff. You can log results to file on SD card, and via samba you can connect from PC and get data for analysis, or you can directly log to network share..... Also you can remotely control it via VNC, RDC and SSH terminal...

Regards,
Sinisa

Online s8548a

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 05:51:46 pm »

DP832/831 are trivially controlled from python on RPI, Ethernet, RS232 or USB. It is my favorite control platform for long running/standalone stuff. You can log results to file on SD card, and via samba you can connect from PC and get data for analysis, or you can directly log to network share..... Also you can remotely control it via VNC, RDC and SSH terminal...

Regards,
Sinisa

Any reference available to have a look how to use RPi for this controlling and logging?

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 06:07:35 pm »
I might have a Keysight N6700 Rack model for sale. Ethernet of course! It is probably overkill but PM me if you are interested.

It is the frame only without power modules.  I got it about 1 year ago but have upgraded to the desktop version

N67xx power modules are available in a huge range. N673x or N674x are the "cheap" power modules (2nd hand at least)

You can find the "low end" modules to put in it for about $30-$100 each. And they are very programmable and very fast - but very noisy fans when in the rack cabinet.

High end power modules includes SMU's and uA measurement capable units.

This is the one : http://uk.farnell.com/keysight-technologies/n6700b-plg/mainframe-modular-power-system/dp/1777859

this is the new "black" replacement version : http://uk.farnell.com/keysight-technologies/n6700b-plg/mainframe-modular-power-system/dp/1777859

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 06:32:56 pm »
There is a thread:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/raspberry-pi23-logging-platform-for-voltnuts/msg1069794/#msg1069794

there you can get platform for Python to SCPI /LXI communication. All else to do is to send SCPI commands to equipment.

And here :
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-dp831dp831a-calibration-script-using-dm3086-calibration-script/msg980507/#msg980507

I compiled links to examples of Python code for a calibration of DP832/831.

That should be enough to start..

Quick search will reveal a lot more info... Happy Googling..

Regards,

Sinisa

The following users thanked this post: s8548a

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf