Author Topic: WTB (UK/EU): Engineer PA-09 crimp tool  (Read 7679 times)

Offline HwAoRrDkTopic starter

• Super Contributor
WTB (UK/EU): Engineer PA-09 crimp tool
« on: August 22, 2017, 07:54:41 pm »
I am looking for an Engineer PA-09 crimp tool, and thought I would see if there is anyone here who has one they don't need any more and are willing to sell.

Alternatively, the PA-20 would mostly satisfy my potential needs, so might consider that instead if the price is right. :)

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
Re: WTB (UK/EU): Engineer PA-09 crimp tool
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 08:27:14 pm »
you know you have an seller for these in UK, right?
http://www.precisehandtools.com/

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 08:57:48 pm »

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 09:05:19 pm »
yes, I bought loads of stuff from them, got good deal on shipping to Norway even.
Had to do it through email since ebay (atleast then) just added shipping on each item.
Great people to deal with.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 09:18:56 pm »
I bought them directly from the manufacturer through amazon, I got a very polite and nice thank you and have a wonderfull life with some original green japanese tea.  :-+

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 09:41:17 pm »
Yes, I am aware that they are readily available to me on eBay or Amazon. But I'm looking for a used one for less money. ;)

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 10:13:32 pm »
That is a nice looking crimp tool for small terminals.
Thanks for sharing this one, I ordered one.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 10:47:39 pm »
I'd never use a non-ratchet crimp tool! Crimping is a cold welding process which needs to have a certain amount of pressure applied. Also a ratchet tool usually crimps both the contact and the strain relief in one go.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 10:49:50 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 07:05:05 am »
I'd never use a non-ratchet crimp tool! Crimping is a cold welding process which needs to have a certain amount of pressure applied. Also a ratchet tool usually crimps both the contact and the strain relief in one go.
In theory I agree with you which means that you have to order the manufacturers dedicated ratchet crimp tool for each and every connector costing over $200 each up to $800 for each and every single type of connector out there. This might be feasible for a small or large business making money out of them but for hobbieists this is a big no-go.

Alternatively there are clones, so I bought Chinese clones costing $25 and throw them away because they were garbage and messed up the crimp, there are many topics on this forum about this, search for Dupont and SJT.

The Engineer PA tool has a very good die which means although you have to manually apply the force and for some connectors have to crimp twice the crimp is good and decent.
The under or overapplication of force might take some work in practice it works fast.
What I do not like is that the connector is not hold in place which is the case with the expensive manufacturers ratchet crimping tools so three hands would be usefull  :)

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 07:39:37 am »
Number of crimps required to get the job done = 4

Required quality level = laboratory use by me only

Price of genuine Molex crimp tool, ~£300

Price of PA-09, £40

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 08:12:05 am »
For many terminals I have the expensive ratchet crimp tools.
But for some laboratory (One-At-A-Time) terminals it just does not make sense to invest in every single special tool. So, this one might be perfect for that.

I find some of these ratchet crimp tools outrageously expensive. Having a full drawer of it makes it a small investment. And it even does not make any sense, that they are so expensive these days.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 08:20:41 am »
I find some of these ratchet crimp tools outrageously expensive. Having a full drawer of it makes it a small investment. And it even does not make any sense, that they are so expensive these days.
Numbers sold are low, but what I really really would love is a very good ratchet tool with multiple replaceable diesets for the most common connectors.
If the tool itself is $200 and the dies are around $40 each that would be a very good expandable base system. Unfortunately every connector manufacturer sells their own crimptools and they are all targeted for major businesses.

Online nali

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 09:43:26 am »
I bought a PA-09 and PA-21 (bigger) for prototyping / proof of concept, they're pretty good all rounders.

Not quite so good for some connectors e.g. JST which have especially long "ears" for the strain relief part of the crimp. But a quick snip prior to crimping sorts that out.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 10:37:38 am »
Numbers sold are low, but what I really really would love is a very good ratchet tool with multiple replaceable diesets for the most common connectors.
If the tool itself is $200 and the dies are around $40 each that would be a very good expandable base system. Unfortunately every connector manufacturer sells their own crimptools and they are all targeted for major businesses.

Look at Knipex and Rennsteig (High Quality section of Knipex)
All made in Germany and they have a huge selection of tools and replaceable dies.
https://www.rennsteig.com/en/products/crimping
And these are really nice universal ratcheted crimp tools, made in Germany.
And the prices are acceptable.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 11:22:53 am »
All made in Germany and they have a huge selection of tools and replaceable dies.

Thanks I have one of those for the (don't know the english names) isolated and non-isolated shoeconnectors used in cars, aderendhulzen (cableend connectors ) and sorts.
But I was talking about the specialty connectors from Amp, JST, Molex, Dupont, those that need sometimes a double crimp, one for the cable and one for the conductor, I have not found a universal die system that can handle those. For those connectors I use the pioneer.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2017, 12:41:45 pm »

Thanks I have one of those for the (don't know the english names) isolated and non-isolated shoeconnectors used in cars, aderendhulzen (cableend connectors ) and sorts.

aderendhulzen = ferrule

But I was talking about the specialty connectors from Amp, JST, Molex, Dupont, those that need sometimes a double crimp, one for the cable and one for the conductor, I have not found a universal die system that can handle those. For those connectors I use the pioneer.
I heard that some of the terminal manufactures have protected their intellectual properties with patents, copyrights and trademarks so that nobody is allowed to copy their special crimping tools / dies.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 01:49:03 pm »
I heard that some of the terminal manufactures have protected their intellectual properties with patents, copyrights and trademarks so that nobody is allowed to copy their special crimping tools / dies.
That is probably the reason there are no generic tools with exchangable dies available  :(

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 06:37:13 pm »
Now everyone has debated the merits of ratcheting vs non-ratcheting, the absurd pricing of manufacturer tools, and swappable dies... back to the actual subject of this thread:

Does anyone have a used PA-09 they want to sell? :P

Offline donkey77

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 08:55:30 pm »
I know, I know, sorry to go back off topic but don't these pressmaster multi die tools do both the conductor and the insulation? http://www.pressmaster.se/product/mct_die73#.WZ3q7XOIuW0.link

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2017, 03:39:48 am »
Last year I bought this tool directly from Japan from a seller on Rakuten. The total with shipping was 4415 JPY, considerably cheaper than most eBay offers. :-+
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2017, 09:05:20 am »
You can also look at the HOZAN P-706
May be it is cheaper
It is also a very nice tool from Japan
http://www.hozan.co.jp/E/catalog/Crimpers/P706.html

« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 09:10:25 am by HighVoltage »

Offline mr.os

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2017, 11:36:08 am »
There is also a HOZAN P-707 with ratchet. At first look it's promising. You can buy it on ebay for around 80$ which is in my opinion not cheap but okay for this type of tool. It is not so much more than the Engineer or the simpler Hozan crimp tool.

When I read it right Hozan should be a brand manufacturer with good tools? Than (after a couple of cheap different chinese crimping tools) I will try the ratchet one...

Offline noidea

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2017, 01:40:58 pm »
I have some Hozan bicycle repair tools, they are good quality so they should be ok

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2017, 01:58:24 pm »
For many terminals I have the expensive ratchet crimp tools.
But for some laboratory (One-At-A-Time) terminals it just does not make sense to invest in every single special tool. So, this one might be perfect for that.
You can buy decent ratchet crimpers for $50 to $100. As a bonus they typically crimp the conductor and insulation in one go.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline WackyGerman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2017, 03:37:42 pm »
Just look for the CIMCO click n crimp tool , Nr. 10 600 2 . It s a really good tool and you can crimp almost everything because you can buy many different crimping profiles and just click the right one in the tool to go ahead . And it is not that expensive , the price is 99 Eur. at Ebay

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf