Author Topic: WTB (US): Hakko 808 desoldering gun motor/parts donor  (Read 1069 times)

Offline MaxFristerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
WTB (US): Hakko 808 desoldering gun motor/parts donor
« on: October 22, 2018, 07:14:35 pm »
i have a Hakko 808 desoldering gun with a bad pump motor.  I'm looking for a replacement motor or a broken donor gun with a functioning motor.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: WTB (US): Hakko 808 desoldering gun motor/parts donor
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 12:47:57 am »
It's been a while since I've looked inside mine, but isn't the motor something pretty standard? Seems like it's a 380 size brushed DC motor, might not be too hard to find something that will fit.

Also are you sure the motor is bad?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 05:13:53 am »
Not sure that the motor is bad, but it will not start when the pump is in a particular position.   If I advance it by hand a bit, it will start.   I tried removing the valves from the pump and it still fails to start at that same position.  This test is not definitive -- the place it stalls is still under load from the pump bellows rubber.

I have not tried to remove the motor from the machine.  I suppose that is the next step.

It would be nice if it is a standard DC motor. 

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 05:18:04 pm »
That does sound like a bad motor. I would suggest removing it, then you can both evaluate the situation and see if the motor is something you can find a replacement for. It's possible that just cleaning the commutator will get you going again, but if it's been heavily used it could be worn out.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 02:11:52 am »
I have not been able to find very much technical info.  The Hakko part number is B1737 and does not appear to be available either new or used.

I opened up the the gun and the motor control board appears to have overheated and unsoldered on the ballast resistors.   It appears that this are ~100VDC motors -- certainly not cheap rc motors.

I'm still looking for a donor 808.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 02:37:12 am »
It's a 100V motor? I wouldn't have expected that, I figured they'd use the heater as a ballast like most hair dryers do. You might try opening up the motor once you verify it is bad and see if it can be repaired. I doubt you will have much luck finding a parts unit, the motor is probably the most common failure item and these are very nice tools. I can't imagine I'd ever want to get rid of mine unless it broke beyond repair.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf