Author Topic: WTB - Electronic Load  (Read 5012 times)

Offline mstevensTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
WTB - Electronic Load
« on: February 02, 2012, 06:37:28 pm »
I am interested in purchasing an electornic load 300-600W, CC, CV, CR, and CP.  Anyone have any recommendations.  Budget <$1k

Thanks

Offline olsenn

• Frequent Contributor
Re: WTB - Electronic Load
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 08:01:01 pm »
I bought an IT8511 programmable DC electronic load off of ebay for half your suggested budget and I LOVE IT! The company is officially Itech, but it's really made by BK Precision (they freely admit to it). It is built like a brick shithouse and it seems to be rich in features (even the computer software works well). The displayed voltage/current/power readings are all displayed to 3 decimal places and are very accurate (compared to my Fluke 87-V and DM3058).

The only thing that may put you off on this unit is that it is rated for 150 watts / 120 volts. They do make units which can handle the 300 - 600 watts that you specified but it will probably cost you a lot more.

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 08:06:30 pm »
I bought an IT8511 programmable DC electronic load off of ebay for half your suggested budget and I LOVE IT! The company is officially Itech, but it's really made by BK Precision (they freely admit to it). It is built like a brick shithouse and it seems to be rich in features (even the computer software works well).

Dont you think it is the other way around? BK Precision buys it from ITech and put their label on it? BK does that quite a lot. My Spectrum Analyzer is from BK.. But made by Micronix.

Offline olsenn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 08:15:30 pm »
Nope, this isn't just rebadged, BK Precision actually owns the company Itech. They use the brand Itech outside of North America where their customers can't or won't pay as much as Americans will... but it's the EXACT SAME product (look at the 8500-series DC loads by BK, they're the exact same machine)

Offline mstevensTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 08:25:31 pm »
(even the computer software works well).

?? B&K Precision lists on software with the 8500 or 8502.  It seems they have a LabView driver and that it can be programmed with Python.  Can you elaborate?

Thanks

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 08:29:32 pm »
Nope, this isn't just rebadged, BK Precision actually owns the company Itech. They use the brand Itech outside of North America where their customers can't or won't pay as much as Americans will... but it's the EXACT SAME product (look at the 8500-series DC loads by BK, they're the exact same machine)

ahh did not know they are that related.... :-) thanks for correcting me.

But it still might be ITECH that builds it and ships it with both BK & ITECH label. BK just charge more due to the "brand" :-) Might still have been designed in the US - but hard to know.

Offline olsenn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 08:39:43 pm »
B&K Precision lists on software with the 8500 or 8502.  It seems they have a LabView driver and that it can be programmed with Python.  Can you elaborate?

The software that is provided with the IT8511 is the BK Precision software that runs all the 8500-series DC electronic loads. I'm not sure about the programmable through Python bit as I don't use Python, but it does have a LabView driver available for it. The only downside as far as connectivity is conceared is that none of the 8500-series units have USB... just a TTL serial port. I don't notice any problems with update rates, but you will need to purchase a TTL-to-RS232 or TTL-to-USB adapter (available for $50 on Mouser.com) to connect it to a computer.

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 07:24:20 pm »
We sell Electronic Loads for good prices.

Yep including the Maynuo ones which seem to come from the same road in China as Itech and are obviously derived or copied from the same design.

If you had prices on your web site we could judge for ourselves how good they are.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf