Author Topic: WTB: Keithley VFD  (Read 6825 times)

Offline azerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
WTB: Keithley VFD
« on: June 22, 2017, 12:20:27 am »
I have a 6485 with a broken VFD.
I know some of these displays are used in multiple models. I see it has the same segments as my 2015 atleast, but not the 2100 or 2700.
The assembly has part number is 2010-110 and some googling tells me the VFD might have part number DD-52.

Offline Ash

• Regular Contributor
Re: WTB: Keithley VFD
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 12:47:21 am »
I have a 6485 with a broken VFD.
I know some of these displays are used in multiple models. I see it has the same segments as my 2015 atleast, but not the 2100 or 2700.
The assembly has part number is 2010-110 and some googling tells me the VFD might have part number DD-52.

Hi Azer,

I recently purchased one of these directly from Keithley (actually they put me in contact with an agent in Australia, but same thing). It was ~AUD$135 delivered. It was a pretty painless process.

I just went to the Tektronix web site (they now own Keithley) -> Service & Support -> Parts. I think you need to register an account, but its pretty easy. Then there is just a form/request to fill in with what ever details you can, and they will get back to you. Mention the model and DD-52 and you should be good to go.

Good luck.
Ash.

Offline pamphonica

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 08:50:04 am »
I had just silence after I used the Tek/Keithley web request form, even though I had quoted the correct Keithley part number.
Try emailing uk@tektronix.com with your request and you should get a response from their service team.
The chap who just helped me (very efficient) was Guy Warner, one of their Customer Service Reps.
I put in an order via email and gave my card details over the phone (not email) for security.
Good luck!

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 09:17:43 am »
I have a Keithley 2015 VFD that a member here gave to me for cost of postage, it was removed because it was dim but still working, I had intended to build a project around it but it's never materialised.

It would be 'better than nothing' so if you'd like it, cover my costs for postage and it's yours as long as it's suitable.

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 01:46:09 pm »
"Dim but working" entire display can usually be brightened up by boosting the filament current a little, to compensate for old tired emissive coatings on the filaments. This will also speed up the death of the filaments, but if it makes the unusable display usable again for a while, then it's worth it. If it is just a few segments that are dim, then that is the phosphors that are worn out, and nothing can be done for them.

I like to see these excellent Keithley instruments fixed. So, CJay, to compensate you for giving away your VFD to a good cause, I'll offer you a 20x2 character module for free, just pay postage (same as your offer to azer). This module has a controller and 8 bit microcontroller interface so it is more suitable to projects than a bare VFD glass.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 01:54:07 pm »

I like to see these excellent Keithley instruments fixed. So, CJay, to compensate you for giving away your VFD to a good cause, I'll offer you a 20x2 character module for free, just pay postage (same as your offer to azer). This module has a controller and 8 bit microcontroller interface so it is more suitable to projects than a bare VFD glass.

If you mean a VFD 20x2 then I will take you up on that generous offer. The OP hasn't responded yet though. If they decide they don't want it would you like the VFD on the same terms?

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 02:23:03 pm »
I also purchased DD52 (and a 2000-Benchkit) quite recently from guy.warner@tektronix.com.  I think the DD52 was around £60+VAT

I'm UK based but you will probably find Guy can point you in the right direction if they have a more local source

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 02:25:48 pm by NivagSwerdna »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 10:26:30 am »
Thanks for the info everybody.
I'm waiting on a quote from tek, I'm in Norway though, so I assume I need to go through the local sales rep.
If the price is too steep I'll take up on CJay's offer.
I might have another smaller VFD lying around, I'll have to check over the weekend.

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 02:48:37 pm »
Hi Ash,

Can you tel me what the company in australia was? I tried getting a vfd for my 2015 about 18 months ago and I kept going round in circles with no success.

Offline EA1RJ

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 10:19:02 am »
Hello All,

During last weeks i have in contact with some distribuitors of Tektronix in Spain, Germany and UK.

The best price for the DD52  was arround 230€ + VAT +shipment.

Other partners only could offer the complet display PCB at much higher price.

Finally i wrote to Guy Warner and he told me this:

"DD-52 it is now no longer available for sale to the general public. Any examples that may still exist are reserved for the service technicians only."

The distributor partner in Spain gave me price for repairing and calibration.... was arround 730 € +VAT + 70 € shipment  :-DD

So it looks that will be very difficult to find DD52 VFD in EU.

Any information about where to buy outside EU will be very wellcome.

Regards

Ricardo  - EA1RJ

Offline Ash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 03:26:13 pm »
Hi Ash,

Can you tel me what the company in australia was? I tried getting a vfd for my 2015 about 18 months ago and I kept going round in circles with no success.

Hi

I purchased mine through Celemetrix.

http://www.celemetrix.com.au

This was in January this year.

Hope that helps.

Ash.

Offline msraya

• Supporter
  • EA7EE
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 07:28:20 am »
Ricardo:

So it looks that will be very difficult to find DD52 VFD in EU.

Interesting to know... so I think it's more interesting to get a HP 34401A, because the display can be found in China..
So I do have both..  :-+

I have a HP 53131A with poor VFD and I have same problem...  :'(

Regards
Manuel

Offline rob2630

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 09:35:21 am »
You need to order the display direct from the manufacturer. This is Newhaven Display International  email nhtech@newhavendisplay.com. Part number is C29-1305N and this will fit the Keithley 2000 and 2015 THD, maybe others I don't know. I bought two at the beginning of the year at a price of $22 per display and they will take Paypal. Very helpful people.

The following users thanked this post: TiN, NivagSwerdna, Ash, julianhigginson, eplpwr

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 10:45:43 pm »
That is a awesome lead. Email has been sent to new haven display and I'll let people know how it goes. If there's anyone in australia looking for one, I'll probably be ordering extras for a stockpile

Offline rob2630

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2017, 07:34:22 pm »
If you  do manage to get the displays you may wish to see this video. It is very helpful when it comes to taking the kit apart:

I used a gun like his to desolder but of course you can cut the pins and remove them and then clean out the holes. I also managed to prise the display off without using a heat gun and then re-used the sticky tape. But you must use a plastic tool to lever the display. I used a large plastic trimmer tool.

The following users thanked this post: julianhigginson

Offline Rycroft

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2017, 02:33:52 am »
PTR_1275,

I'll be in for one if it works out.

Rick

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 12:06:00 pm »
I finally got around to contacting Newhaven and got the display in less than a week.
Works perfect and well packaged.
Thanks for the lead 8)

Online mk_

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2017, 02:04:26 pm »
I finally got around to contacting Newhaven and got the display in less than a week.

Same here, Danielle and Jane did a great job, even when UPS  messed up the first shippment.... (how the hell can UPS loose tracking and send such a tiny parcel in a completly different country...- you name it - Australia and not Austria)

Michael

Online mk_

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2018, 06:32:17 am »
FYI all outside the US: Newhaven Display will rise the prices for the VFD significant at monday 24. Sept.

They say because of the new "tariffs on goods and materials that are manufactured in China"

°   Effective September 24th, 2018, Newhaven Display will apply a 10% tariff surcharge to all product orders. Any orders that have already been accepted with scheduled deliveries will be shipped and invoiced without a tariff surcharge.
°   Effective November 15th, 2018, the tariff surcharge on all product orders will change to 25%. Any orders accepted by Newhaven Display between September 24th and November 14th 2018 will be shipped and invoiced at the lower 10% tariff surcharge.

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2018, 03:01:46 pm »
Damn  not funny at all to source some vfd's ...  :--

Offline msraya

• Supporter
  • EA7EE
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2018, 07:15:32 am »
Hi!

Newhaven Display is U.S. based, so that's the problem.
We need to find a non-U.S. based distribution.  :--  It become a big problem, I don't know  :-//

Regards
Manuel

Online voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2020, 06:10:34 pm »
Another option, for the brave, might be Alibaba:

Vacuum Fluorescent Display Type VFD29-1305N VFD Module

The following users thanked this post: Taviman

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf