Author Topic: wtb: SCSI CD writer with caddy  (Read 7573 times)

Offline legacyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
wtb: SCSI CD writer with caddy
« on: July 21, 2018, 03:38:42 pm »
Some early CD-ROM and CD Writer drives used a mechanism where CDs had to be inserted into special cartridges or caddies to protect the disc from damage. It was cool, but it did not gain wide acceptance among disc manufacturers. Drives that used the caddy format required "bare" discs to be placed into a caddy before use, making them less convenient to use. Drives that worked this way were referred to as caddy drives or caddy load(ing), but from about 1994 most computer manufacturers moved to tray-loading, or slot-loading drives.

I'm looking for an SCSI CD Writer drive with caddy-loading mechanism. The read/write speed doesn't really matter, any drive with at least 1x speed (300150Kbyte/sec) is OK!

The following models are known to use the caddy-loading mechanism
  • Yamaha CDR102
  • Plextor PX-R412Ci

let me know if you have for sale  :D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 08:32:57 pm by legacy »

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
Re: wtb: SCSI CD writer with caddy
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 11:35:59 am »
Some drives which used caddies also allowed bare disks to be used.

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 11:55:15 am »
I'm looking for an SCSI CD Writer drive with caddy-loading mechanism. The read/write speed doesn't really matter, any drive with at least 1x speed (300Kbyte/sec) is OK!
1x speed is 150KB/sec.

I checked my old stock and no caddy load.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 08:34:10 pm »
I need the caddy mechanism  :popcorn:

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 09:37:01 pm »
I've been on the lookout for one of these drives for many years and haven't found one so far. Let me know how you go!

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 11:27:28 pm »
can you tell us  why do you need caddy mechanism ?  is it for an special project ???

Seen your model for an ridiculous 999$ usd on ebay   wow

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 01:23:14 am »
The one I have is actually a DVD-RAM drive which has a tray and can use either bare disks or a caddie set in the deep tray; it is PATA though.  I think the only SCSI CD/DVD drive that I have is my ancient Nakamichi 4 disk changer which only reads CD; at the time, only SCSI drives could reliably read audio CDs digitally.

Offline thermistor-guy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 03:39:38 am »
I'm looking for an SCSI CD Writer drive with caddy-loading mechanism. The read/write speed doesn't really matter, any drive with at least 1x speed (300150Kbyte/sec) is OK!

IIRC, my i486 50MHz PC, sitting in storage, has a caddy-type, single-ended SCSI, optical drive. But I can't swear that it's RW (instead of RO). The PC also has a SCSI Exabyte tape drive, and an Adaptec SCSI host controller.

I'll check the optical drive and post an update.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 03:57:15 am »
I still have a caddy type Plextor reader in my stash of stuff I've held onto but no writers. By the time writers came down to where they started to get affordable, the caddy style had fallen out of favor.

The caddies were nice in theory, they protected the discs and made them easier to handle. The problem is that caddies were expensive so most people had only one, which kind of defeated the purpose. The idea was that you'd have a caddy for each disc and keep them in there.

Offline thermistor-guy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 04:00:00 am »
I still have a caddy type Plextor reader in my stash of stuff I've held onto but no writers. By the time writers came down to where they started to get affordable, the caddy style had fallen out of favor.

The caddies were nice in theory, they protected the discs and made them easier to handle. The problem is that caddies were expensive so most people had only one, which kind of defeated the purpose. The idea was that you'd have a caddy for each disc and keep them in there.

Yes, I used to keep various Linux distro CDs in their own caddies (which I still should have).

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 04:59:28 am »
I had one in a bunch of ancient tech I had been hoarding for many years - but a streak of conscientiousness brushed by me about 4 years ago and I had a cleanup.   :-[

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 04:56:29 pm »
That's why I have so much old "junk" around, practically every time I throw away something worthless I end up regretting it later when everyone else has thrown theirs out too and they're suddenly very rare.

Offline thermistor-guy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2018, 11:32:41 am »
I'll check the optical drive and post an update.

False alarm. I have an NEC MultiSpin 3X CD-ROM Reader.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 11:19:44 am »
That's why I have so much old "junk" around, practically every time I throw away something worthless I end up regretting it later when everyone else has thrown theirs out too and they're suddenly very rare.

me too. But usually, people are not willing to pay for this stuff, this it makes no sense unless YOU need some of these old "junk".

I am not a collector, the caddy is for a project.

Offline Tom45

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 01:05:24 pm »
I had one of those at one time. Whether I still have it and whether I can find it is another matter. If nobody else has one I could start looking.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 05:16:32 pm »
My interests rotate and often I get interested in something I have set aside for years. Also prices do increase down the road when there is not much of something left. To some degree there is value in historical preservation as well.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2018, 08:55:53 pm »
To some degree there is value in historical preservation as well.

yup, the pricing psychology must have a theory(1) on its feet, but the value in historical preservation is not what I see from my experiences on eBay  :D

people have recently offered *** 10 Euro *** for a perfectly preserved in aesthetical and working conditions board by Motorola  that is also very rare to be found with a gold cap MC68882@50Mhz FPU installed, original manuals, software (with license), and hw-debugger :palm: :palm: :palm:

people have also offered *** 50 Euro *** (I am not kidding, I still have their PMs) for a for a perfectly preserved in aesthetical and working conditions SGI workstation Indigo2 with a very hard to preserve gfx aka Maximum Impact with 4Mbyte of texture ram  :palm: :palm: :palm:

usually, in my experiences, people have shown a different pricing psychology; I mean they feel they can pay for a vintage Car, motorcycle, an old house, an old van ... vintage guitar, vintage trousers, even for a pair of vintage shoes, but not for vintage computers: this, they have decided, must be of the same order of money they pay for a couple of beers  :-//

edit:
(1) something like "an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it"
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 10:23:29 pm by legacy »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2018, 04:00:07 am »
Well you can't blame people for making lowball offers. I think I sold an Indigo2 for $40 a few years ago, I needed to make some space and was happy just to get it into a home. Some vintage computer stuff goes for crazy amounts of money, some is cheaper. Personally I prefer it when prices are lower, it's more fun to buy/sell/trade hobby stuff when there isn't a ton of money tied up in it. I don't need to get rich from my hobbies, I just like playing with old stuff. Occasionally you get someone who thinks their old stuff is made of solid gold, no shortage of greedy people on ebay.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2018, 08:46:30 am »
Well you can't blame people for making lowball offers.

This is rather offensive for the effort you put at the activity. Your time and effort have a value, especially for those who are not recyclers and don't want to smash stuff.

You say * I wanted to make some space *  ok, but for the same purpose, if am I am offered 10 euro, I am really tempted to save my effort and time by smashing the board, rather than spending time at testing, repairing and restoring the electronic,  cleaning and polishing the plastic, documenting everything, and giving sort of assistance to "customers".

on eBay I listed the board for 100 euro + s/h, giving people the possibility to negotiate for a discount. I sold two of these items with -30% off (70 euro), and with -50% off (50 euro) at Xmas.

And that's fine, but * offering 10 euro *?!? WTF, it's -90% discount and the get off price must have a minimal border below the which you are really looking like Santa Claus.

Companies like Newark have always listed the board for a starting price of 400 euro (+ VAT), without giving software (opensource + customizations), neither assistance.

Personally, I prefer it when prices are lower, it's more fun to buy/sell/trade hobby stuff when there isn't a ton of money tied up in it. I don't need to get rich from my hobbies

a ton of money? Have you ever contacted companies like wildfiresystems? they offer refurbished HP and SUN workstations, with warranty, assistance, and professional packaging. I do too.

Look at their price list: an HP C3750/8Gbyte ram/2x80Gbyte HD is listed for 1600 euro + VAT + S/H, whereas I have always offered it for 500 euro (VAT already included) + S/H with the same specs.

And I have recently got two ridiculous offers in the range ~ 50..100 euro  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:

This opens the doors to the bad attitudes like what happened on the marketplace of a forum like Nekochan where guys usually want an O2+ for 100 euro + S/H, cause this must be the range of budget to be allocated for their hobby.

I refused since those activities were my second core business done honestly for a living, and the workstation we are talking about was a restored R12K@400Mhz/1Gbyte ram/and DCD kit (extremely rare to be found in working conditions); it had cost me a lot of time, effort, and money, thus, in order to avoid a negative gain, I was expecting a minimal offer of 500 Euro, but one of those guys was so * brilliant * (sarcasm) that he thought hardware must be given away for cheap, thus for his concept of "fair price" when he saw my offer on eBay he informed the mod of Nekochan that there were two offers of the same item in two different places: eBay and Nekochan. Now, on Nekochan you can't include software for their policy, which was respected by the announcement on their forum, whereas on eBay I was offering the workstation with the hard drive loaded with the software I found installed in the machine when I picked up it from a company.

and I am talking about Autodesk's, so ... do you know what happened? Do you guess how it ended?

mr brilliant must have informed eBay(1) cause I one day later I got an alarming message about a suspicious software found in one of my auctions, and eBay reacted suspending my account for verification. Someone must have told it was warez. It was not, but this story ended with the cost of two weeks of suspension, 122 euro paid to a third party company to provide a written proof the software was not warez, and a lot of time wasted.

(1) eBay confirmed they got informed by someone, but they can't reveal who was the source due to the privacy policy. Do you want to know whom you have to thank? You need to quote them in a court case. No thanks.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 09:20:46 am by legacy »

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2018, 10:23:23 am »
iirc didn't some of the early mac towers use the caddy system and they would of been scsi - I may have something but on ther other hand it could be a internal zip drive

Offline testpoint

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2018, 10:50:25 am »
I have a HP 9600 external SCSI CD writer, you can dismount it, the internal is a 5.25 CDROM, but, I do not find where is it now, sure in my stock house.

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2018, 11:11:31 am »
A little bit of info, sony made bare scsi recorders (caddy) for oem (inc apple) back in the mid to late 90's, one of the many brands was smart storage solutions

Edit. Sony CDU921S, Sony CDU526R, Logitec LCW-7408/M

my memory is a bit foggy but i will do some more digging

also around the time of the Amiga A600 come out there where also external pcmcia drives iirc these where 50 pin scsi recorders with caddies in a external case

As above there now "vintage" and seem to command a premium
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 11:32:57 am by bob225 »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2018, 03:40:20 pm »

This is rather offensive for the effort you put at the activity. Your time and effort have a value, especially for those who are not recyclers and don't want to smash stuff.

You say * I wanted to make some space *  ok, but for the same purpose, if am I am offered 10 euro, I am really tempted to save my effort and time by smashing the board, rather than spending time at testing, repairing and restoring the electronic,  cleaning and polishing the plastic, documenting everything, and giving sort of assistance to "customers".

on eBay I listed the board for 100 euro + s/h, giving people the possibility to negotiate for a discount. I sold two of these items with -30% off (70 euro), and with -50% off (50 euro) at Xmas.

And that's fine, but * offering 10 euro *?!? WTF, it's -90% discount and the get off price must have a minimal border below the which you are really looking like Santa Claus.

Companies like Newark have always listed the board for a starting price of 400 euro (+ VAT), without giving software (opensource + customizations), neither assistance.

Personally, I prefer it when prices are lower, it's more fun to buy/sell/trade hobby stuff when there isn't a ton of money tied up in it. I don't need to get rich from my hobbies

a ton of money? Have you ever contacted companies like wildfiresystems? they offer refurbished HP and SUN workstations, with warranty, assistance, and professional packaging. I do too.

Look at their price list: an HP C3750/8Gbyte ram/2x80Gbyte HD is listed for 1600 euro + VAT + S/H, whereas I have always offered it for 500 euro (VAT already included) + S/H with the same specs.

And I have recently got two ridiculous offers in the range ~ 50..100 euro  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:

This opens the doors to the bad attitudes like what happened on the marketplace of a forum like Nekochan where guys usually want an O2+ for 100 euro + S/H, cause this must be the range of budget to be allocated for their hobby.

I refused since those activities were my second core business done honestly for a living, and the workstation we are talking about was a restored R12K@400Mhz/1Gbyte ram/and DCD kit (extremely rare to be found in working conditions); it had cost me a lot of time, effort, and money, thus, in order to avoid a negative gain, I was expecting a minimal offer of 500 Euro, but one of those guys was so * brilliant * (sarcasm) that he thought hardware must be given away for cheap, thus for his concept of "fair price" when he saw my offer on eBay he informed the mod of Nekochan that there were two offers of the same item in two different places: eBay and Nekochan. Now, on Nekochan you can't include software for their policy, which was respected by the announcement on their forum, whereas on eBay I was offering the workstation with the hard drive loaded with the software I found installed in the machine when I picked up it from a company.

and I am talking about Autodesk's, so ... do you know what happened? Do you guess how it ended?

mr brilliant must have informed eBay(1) cause I one day later I got an alarming message about a suspicious software found in one of my auctions, and eBay reacted suspending my account for verification. Someone must have told it was warez. It was not, but this story ended with the cost of two weeks of suspension, 122 euro paid to a third party company to provide a written proof the software was not warez, and a lot of time wasted.

(1) eBay confirmed they got informed by someone, but they can't reveal who was the source due to the privacy policy. Do you want to know whom you have to thank? You need to quote them in a court case. No thanks.

You seem to be too easily offended. There's a very simple solution to offers that are not worth the effort you put into the stuff, ignore them, or use the auto-decline feature, very simple. If you sell stuff you are going to get a few lowball offers, that's just life, they happen because sometimes they work. I have put in lowball offers on items before and had the seller accept, sometimes they have no idea what something is worth and price it way too high, sometimes they are desperate to get rid of it, sometimes they accept my offer, sometimes they decline. Either way no big deal. You would rather smash something than give it to someone too cheap, which I would consider being a jerk. I would rather lose money on something and have it go to somebody who will do something with it rather than have it just get recycled into scrap.

You put a lot of effort into fixing stuff up for sale, I put the effort into fixing stuff up for me. If I sell something it's often as-is, or I've had my fun and I want something else. Sure if you go to a company that specializes in selling refurbished Sun or SGI stuff the prices will be high, so what? That's irrelevant to the hobby market. I never paid more than $25 for an old workstation and at one point I had a stack 4 feet high of Sun and SGI boxes, most of them I got for free. I tried to give away a Sun Sparc 20 to a good home and had no takers, it's still in my closet. I have a Sparc IPC that originally cost $13k currently acting as a book-end on a shelf. This stuff isn't (or wasn't) worth much, eventually when most of it is gone it may be worth more but there is a point where prices bottom out. No big deal, I paid little or nothing for it and had it just to play with, I don't expect it to be worth a lot. I would never try to earn a living refurbishing old stuff and selling it, it's just too easy to end up with a bunch of stuff that isn't worth much.

I have no idea about the software, most of my workstations were obtained without hard drives or with nothing of interest on them. It's so easy to find just about any software online that I never worried about it and never had any problems.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2018, 05:56:39 pm »
You would rather smash something than give it to someone too cheap, which I would consider being a jerk

I consider dorks those who insist at insisting on obtaining stuff for free, and when you say "no", they try to revenge. That is what happened on eBay due to this attitude.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2018, 06:01:57 pm »
so what? That's irrelevant to the hobby market

The consequence of this is the new attitude of putting tons of junk on eBay  :palm: :palm: :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf