Author Topic: WTB soldering station and multimeter  (Read 1693 times)

Offline haggarTopic starter

• Contributor
WTB soldering station and multimeter
« on: September 19, 2017, 04:46:58 pm »
Hey all.

I've been wanting to get into electronics for a while, and I'm looking for a decent (and safe) soldering station, and a multimeter. 

I know I could go and buy some cheap thing off eBay, but I'd much rather buy a good second hand one from someone who took good care of it.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of money, but I figured this was a good placed to start.

I did make contact with my local university to see if they ever got rid of any older equipment or sold it cheaply, the chap there said it normally goes in the bin and they couldn't give it away.  Which made me a bit sad.

I'm also looking for any other test equipment, or components.  So if anyone is in the Bedfordshire, UK area, maybe let me know.

Or alternatively, if anyone could recommend anything, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
Re: WTB soldering station and multimeter
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 05:33:48 pm »
Can you give an idea as to budget?

Makes it really hard to suggest anything.  :-//

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 05:52:36 pm »
Good point :)

I guess around £100 for the soldering station.

Not sure for the multimeter, I guess around £50.

Although that's literally all my money, so I'll take what I can get haha.

Thanks.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 06:05:47 pm »
These will make your budget (including VAT):
  • DMM = UniT UT139C
  • Soldering Station = Hakko FX-888D (230V & EU plug, so you'll need a simple adapter)
Just add some tips (there's info on starter sets if you search), and postage of course. This may require some additional funds, but not all that much.

Offline picandmix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 07:11:09 pm »
You could spend all your money on a new bees knees hakko soldering iron etc etc but  then have nothing for anything else.

Ebay stuff can be rubbish but there is also some reasonable units ideal for beginners thats are surprisingly good value.

I've used one of these solder stations for years, very reliable and a meter similar to this one, measures within 0.01v at 5v against a reference.
Both ideal for getting into general low voltage work, like micros etc but you do not mention the particular area/s of electronics you are looking to follow ?

Have a Hankek 6022BE USB digital scope, 18 months old, but hardly used,  as by chance got a s/h Digital scope soon after, £20 + postage if interested.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312086-936-Electronic-Soldering-Rework-Station-400-Degrees-Temperature-Control-/272315456416?hash=item3f67441ba0:g:ELkAAOSw3YJZTEyo

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rapitest-DM25-Multi-functional-Electronic-Digital-Multimeter-New-/282605761355?epid=1868162882&hash=item41cc9db34b:g:dtAAAOSw4CFY1sz-

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 07:18:12 pm »
Thanks for the info.

I'm mostly looking to working with old games consoles, fixing them up, and maybe looking into repair work on motherboards.

It'll all be low voltage stuff, well DC anyway. 

I've sent you a PM about the scope.

Offline daybyter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 08:12:43 pm »
Old motherboards or current motherboards? Current motherboards are mainly SMD, so some hotair station, like a 858 clone might be important.

A simple 936 clone might do the job for small resistors, but desoldering capacitors from boards with lots of copper might cause trouble, because 50W are not thaaat much.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 08:43:22 pm »
Potentitally a mix of old and new.

I did have an 858 clone hot air station, it was next to useless. It barely produced enough airflow even on max to do much surface stuff.

I think I'd rather save up and buy a good one.  Although I don't really know what makes a good one haha.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 01:22:52 am »
Potentitally a mix of old and new.

I did have an 858 clone hot air station, it was next to useless. It barely produced enough airflow even on max to do much surface stuff.

I think I'd rather save up and buy a good one.  Although I don't really know what makes a good one haha.
As per airflow, you're better off using a lower air flow setting for soldering/desoldering. Higher airflow rates are more suited to heat shrink tubing and pre-heating areas prior to actually trying to remove or solder in an IC.

In terms of a hot air station, you could take a look at a Quick 957D when you're ready. It's quite decent for the funds according to other members that own one IIRC (info available in a search).

FWIW, I've a different model from the same manufacturer (UK version). The 861Dx is actually on par with a Hakko FR-810 in terms of performance and capabilities IMHO, but for a fraction of the price (you sacrifice the high-end level of customer support = the tradeoff).

With say more than 4 layers, you'd likely be better served by a pre-heater of some sort rather than turning up the heat too much and scorching your board/s (especially considering you're interested in fixing/modding mother boards). On the cheap, even a simple electric skillet that's manually controlled with a DMM capable of temperature readings would do the trick (i.e. DMM uses a K-type thermocouple).

All of which can wait vs. a DMM and soldering station (you'll use both more frequently).

Offline rudika79

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 05:22:42 am »
Hi,

I have couple Uni-T UT61E DMM for sale. I can sell for £25 each (UK postage include). This meters I bought couple years ago from China. There are like brand new. If you are interested then PM me.

Rudolf

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf