Author Topic: WTB:Used Brymen BM235 or BM257  (Read 4593 times)

Offline sonnyTopic starter

• Contributor
WTB:Used Brymen BM235 or BM257
« on: July 03, 2018, 08:30:41 pm »
Hello,
I want to buy used Brymen BM235 or BM257 without "s" at a reasonable price. I prefer people from EU, because of the shipping costs. I suppose if someone throw me a good offer from another part of the world I won't complain. :-)
Thank you.

edit: BM235 was added.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 01:25:59 am by sonny »

Offline Jon.C

• Supporter
Re: WTB:Used Brymen BM257
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 11:23:26 am »
if you're interested I have a 257s like new

90 €  plus shipping, shipping from Spain Post = (Correos)   (it's easier for me)

I think the shipping to Europe is about 20 €

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 11:28:42 am »
if you're interested I have a 257s like new

90 €  plus shipping, shipping from Spain Post = (Correos)   (it's easier for me)

I think the shipping to Europe is about 20 €
Hello Jon,
Thanks for your offer. I assume you are not aware that the new one BM257s from brymen.eu costs 100€ and delivery within EU is only 10€.
Regards,

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 12:35:35 pm »
Unfortunately, I expect owners of the original BM257 won't be parting with them anytime soon (S variant changed the input protections slightly to handle higher transients per an update to CAT ratings). They're just too good and too new right now. If they've been around a couple of decades, then it would be a different story.

So you'd either have to buy a new one from TME (need to save up a bit?), or settle for something else that fits your existing budget. Best to check out the latest "what DMM to get" threads to get an idea of starting points.

For example, the Uni-T UT139C has decent protections (safe for probing mains), lots of features, and can be had for ~$50USD shipped off of Banggood, ...  (under $40 shipped to EU nations on eBay). Lots of info on this one here in the forum. Decent meter to start with IMHO, and doesn't cost a mint.  :-+

BTW, if you go into your user profile and set your country, the flag will be displayed beneath your userID of each post. Makes it drastically easier for members to post relevant links.  ;)

Best of luck.  :)

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 01:21:19 pm »
So you'd either have to buy a new one from TME (need to save up a bit?).
Hello nanofrog,
Thanks for your message. TME sell BM257s for 120€ and as far as I know the warranty is 1 year, not 3 years. I already own UT61E and I want something with better protection and a little bit more precision.
My hope is for someone who upgrade their BM257 for something better. I'm searching for the model without 's', because it should be cheaper and I have spare HRC fuse that I can use in a case of emergency. :-)
I suppose you are right about the owners, but I hope to save €20-40 bucks from new and not to pay the full price for a second hand.
Regards,

edit: TME warranty is 1 year!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 01:41:04 pm by sonny »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 02:49:28 pm »
TME sell BM257s for 120€ and as far as I know the warranty is 1 year, not 3 years. I already own UT61E and I want something with better protection and a little bit more precision.
My hope is for someone who upgrade their BM257 for something better. I'm searching for the model without 's', because it should be cheaper and I have spare HRC fuse that I can use in a case of emergency. :-)
I suppose you are right about the owners, but I hope to save €20-40 bucks from new and not to pay the full price for a second hand.
Brymen only offers a 1yr warranty. Longer might be possible as a rebrand or per national/EU regs. that govern warranty.

I wouldn't sweat the warranty term though, as they're really well made IME (I've a BM857a made back in the late '90's still going strong). Others' comments echo this as well.

In regard to getting a used BM257, I neglected to mention a critical fact. Which is most of use tend to add to our collections rather than swap it out (other gear too), but especially when it comes to DMM's. And there's a valid reason for this; it's not uncommon to need simultaneous measurements which usually requires multiple meters (i.e. simultaneous current and voltage measurements).

In regard to Uni-T, their meters are all over the place in terms of protections and build quality, so you have to do your homework.

For example, the U61E is a 22,000 count meter that doesn't have good protections and is also known to drift rather notably (it's covered here in the forum if you search). In contrast, the UT139C is a 6,000 count meter (as is the BM257, which is why I mentioned the UT139C). But unlike the UT61E however, it has decent input protections suitable for mains use and no reports of them drifting out of spec.

In regard to counts, accuracy, and resolution, you might want to take a look at the following video:

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 03:00:28 pm »
TME sell BM257s for 120€ and as far as I know the warranty is 1 year, not 3 years.

105€ with free shipping here: https://www.welectron.com/Brymen-BM257s-Multimeter_2
And as a consumer in the EU, you should get two years of obligatory warranty from the dealer in most (all?) countries.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 05:49:12 pm »
For example, the U61E is a 22,000 count meter that doesn't have good protections and is also known to drift rather notably (it's covered here in the forum if you search). In contrast, the UT139C is a 6,000 count meter (as is the BM257, which is why I mentioned the UT139C). But unlike the UT61E however, it has decent input protections suitable for mains use and no reports of them drifting out of spec.
As far as I know there are two main revisions of the pcb for UT61E. The old ones used a very low quality pot in VR1 (no brand) which is the main reason for drifting in the voltage. And the new ones come with JML branded pot, which gives better stability. I know JML is not quite an improvement, but it's a way better than the old crappy one. And as I see the complains for drifting are mostly from the old revision.
As for the UT139C I completely agree. It hasn't any pots inside and the calibration data is stored in EEPROM. So no vibration could cause loose of the calibration like with the pots.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 05:53:49 pm »

105€ with free shipping here: https://www.welectron.com/Brymen-BM257s-Multimeter_2
And as a consumer in the EU, you should get two years of obligatory warranty from the dealer in most (all?) countries.
Thanks for the link. If you add €10 more for the "Edition+" you'll get BL21S2-T4SC silicone leads and a soft case, which is very nice. :-)

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 07:06:43 pm »
Thanks for the link. If you add €10 more for the "Edition+" you'll get BL21S2-T4SC silicone leads and a soft case, which is very nice. :-)

Right -- and I can confirm that the case, and specifically the test leads, are very nice quality. The test leads also come with screw-on banana plugs for the tips. When I ordered my meter, a year ago or so, Welectron did not have the two separate ordering options, and always sold the meter with the accessories. I am glad they made that decision for me, but would indeed recommend ordering the set including the accessories.

Disclaimer: Happy customer, but no other affiliation.

The following users thanked this post: Photolunatic

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 07:56:02 pm »
Right -- and I can confirm that the case, and specifically the test leads, are very nice quality. The test leads also come with screw-on banana plugs for the tips. When I ordered my meter, a year ago or so, Welectron did not have the two separate ordering options, and always sold the meter with the accessories. I am glad they made that decision for me, but would indeed recommend ordering the set including the accessories.
How much did you pay for it? I'm curious, did you get two sets of leads or just the silicone one?

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 08:34:19 pm »
How much did you pay for it? I'm curious, did you get two sets of leads or just the silicone one?

Just looked up the invoice - my BM257s was 109 Euro with the accessories, in May 2017. Only the silicone leads were included. I believe Welectron get the meters configured complete with the case and better leads directly from Brymen; they are an official distributor.

Offline ozlow.own

Re: WTB:Used Brymen BM235 or BM257
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2018, 01:40:26 pm »
Same with me. Bought some days ago (130€ on Amazon Marketplace). It came with one set of silicon leads, banana plugs and the soft bag. I know it's my first post and it sounds strange but i'm not affiliated or anything.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 01:47:45 pm by ozlow.own »

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2018, 02:14:32 pm »
Same with me. Bought some days ago (130€ on Amazon Marketplace). It came with one set of silicon leads, banana plugs and the soft bag. I know it's my first post and it sounds strange but i'm not affiliated or anything.
I suppose you got BM257s, right?
Regards,

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2018, 03:42:05 pm »
Welectron has BM257 With one temp probe, premium leads and pouch for 115€ with VAT. Free shipping in EU..

Welectron is best source for Brymen in EU at this moment.

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2018, 03:46:26 pm »
Welectron has BM257 With one temp probe, premium leads and pouch for 115€ with VAT. Free shipping in EU..

Welectron is best source for Brymen in EU at this moment.
I think ebastler already pointed that out and it's BM257s, not BM257.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2018, 08:56:45 pm »
I think ebastler already pointed that out and it's BM257s, not BM257.

Of course it is  BM257S in Welectron. 257 (without S) is older revision... You can't get it anymore, unless it old stock..

Ebastler said he got his for 109 last year..  I just gave current data.

Regards,

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2018, 09:04:37 pm »

Ebastler said he got his for 109 last year..  I just gave current data.

Regards,

I assume that you are coming from another thread two times in a row. Nice.   ::)

If you add €10 more for the "Edition+" you'll get BL21S2-T4SC silicone leads and a soft case, which is very nice. :-)

Offline ozlow.own

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2018, 09:55:11 am »
I suppose you got BM257s, right?
Regards,
Yup! BM257s. I was actually surprised when it arrived because on Amazon there wasn't any mention about the additional stuff it came with, so i just assumed it costed that much. The blue/yellow temp probe is not included in the standard set? I got that one too.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 09:57:24 am by ozlow.own »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf