Author Topic: Yihua 937D+ ... where to get it?  (Read 7376 times)

Online VEGETATopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
Yihua 937D+ ... where to get it?
« on: October 06, 2017, 10:57:53 am »
Hi guys,

I was going to get some soldering equipment and this is the list:

https://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-5-Feet-2_0mm-1_5m-Desoldering-Braid-Solder-Remover-Wick-Cable-Wire-CP-2015-p-49770.html?rmmds=cart_middle_products

https://www.banggood.com/0_3-mm-6337-Tin-Solder-Soldering-Welding-Iron-Wire-Lead-Rosin-Core-Flux-Reel-p-986826.html?rmmds=cart_middle_products

http://www.banggood.com/12pcs-Solder-Screwdriver-Iron-Tip-900M-T-For-Soldering-Rework-Station-Tool-p-1041504.html?rmmds=cart_middle_products

https://www.banggood.com/937D-220V-Solder-Soldering-Iron-Station-Welding-SMD-Tool-Stand-ESD-ER-Gadgets-p-1076914.html?rmmds=cart_middle_products

Total price is about 60$ shipped which is perfect.

However, I don't want the Yihua 937D, but the 937D+ version which has a better iron as their support said to me.

Where can I get it? of course 220v version since I live in Jordan. I wanted to get a used good quality station but no one sells it at that price due to shipping.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
Re: Yihua 937D+ ... where to get it?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 07:39:40 pm »
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/YIHUA-937D-Soldering-Station-ESD-60W-Digital-Thermostat-Soldering-Iron/1048703_32252799688.html

Check if you can find it cheaper, that seems a complete waste of money paying that much for a chinese clone. The original 936 station is just $20 and a few years ago it was $11. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/soldering-station-with-adjustable-heat-range-with-eu-plug.html
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 07:57:02 pm by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 07:47:56 pm »
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/YIHUA-937D-Soldering-Station-ESD-60W-Digital-Thermostat-Soldering-Iron/1048703_32252799688.html

Says "no longer available"... but even if it does, how much shipping?

I already said that Yihua official store on Aliexpress offers it but with too much shipping cost! like.. a lot!

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 08:44:29 pm »
It's really in your best interest to get quality consumables.

Seriously, it works much better = significantly reduced damage to PCB's & components. And as a result, it simultaneously reduces or even eliminates the aggravation associated with using cheap crap.

For solder, wick, and liquid flux, look for brands like Kester, Multicore (Henkel), Alpha Metals, Indium, MG Chemicals, and Stannol for example.

Can you solder anything at all ATM?

If so, you could opt for a T12 Soldering Iron Kit, an aluminum case made for it, and a PSU for it needed to complete the station under your budget.  :-+ It's also going to be a better performer.

Otherwise, they also come ready-made for a bit more (example).

You'll also want a reasonable stand for it (example); it's a knock-off, but will do the job well enough for ~$12. And a Hakko 599B (or clone) brass wool cleaner will fit in the round tray portion.  ;) Here's another cleaner that seems to work from what I've read (YIHUA 08B), and is even less expensive (not sure on diameter, but I suspect it will fit the linked stand).

T12 tips are cheap enough to get started, and the knife profile is very useful. In time however, I'd strongly recommend you use genuine Hakko T15 series tips as they last a LOT longer (10+ years is actually reasonable if you keep it tinned; BTW, the T15 series replaced the T12 series). They're not expensive either (i.e. common profiles go for ~$10 - 11 per from TEquipment).

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 09:03:39 pm »
There is also the Bakon 950D (T12 tip version recommended). This station is loosely based off the Hakko 951 (FM2027/FM2028 handles) but made cheaply with a SMPS power supply and all in one handle. The Bakon should outperform the Yihua 936/937 as the T12 is a cartridge style tip.

Offline ciccio

• Frequent Contributor
  • Designing analog audio since 1977
    • Oberon Electrophysics
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 09:26:05 pm »
I strongly second Nanofrog suggestion.
I've recently bought another soldering kit from Banggood (Product ID: 1157305) similar to the one he suggest, but including a plastic case, to avoid buying the aluminium one. 
The problem is that the plastic case is too short  to house the 24V/3A power supply .
I  did a quick check of the unit without the case and it works very well, better than any Hakko clone I've tested.
You can find many videos on YouTube about the assembly of the kit.
One of these videos shows a ready built unit: the power supply inside is a recycled Apple power adapter, with the Apple logo.. :-DD :-DD :-DD
That one did not came from Banggood. I don't know what is inside the ready built unit suggested by Nanofrog.
The Bakon unit is nice, and the price is good. It uses the same T12 tips.  On Youtube there is a video with the test and (if I remember well) a peek inside.
I suggest you to build a kit. It is not difficult, only requires some attention, and you'll get a return in terms of pride and personal satifaction
Regarding solder consumables, I can assure you that most Chinese solder I've tested is crap, makes an horrible smell and the joint is dull.
I've ordered a small reel from Banggood to see if the one they sell is decent, but it is still in transit.
Best regards

Strenua Nos Exercet Inertia
I'm old enough, I don't repeat mistakes.
I always invent new ones

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 12:32:20 am »
...[snip]...plastic case, to avoid buying the aluminium one.
FWIW, I read somewhere the ABS plastic case sucks (can't recall who posted about it  :-[), but the cost is nearly the same on banggood (~$10). So I made sure I linked an aluminum one. Like the plastic versions, it has 2x different face plates for whichever display version the builder buys.

The problem is that the plastic case is too short  to house the 24V/3A power supply .
I didn't check the dimensions, but the PSU I linked for the kit was lower down on the page (related products?), so I'd expect it to fit.

Still, a good idea to double check. So thanks for reminding me of this, as verifying dimensions totally slipped my mind.  :palm:

One of these videos shows a ready built unit: the power supply inside is a recycled Apple power adapter, with the Apple logo.. :-DD :-DD :-DD
That one did not came from Banggood. I don't know what is inside the ready built unit suggested by Nanofrog.
Neither do I, but it did state it delivers 24V @ 3A to the tips (72W), so that shouldn't be a recycled Apple power adapter as I understand it (Apple PSU has a lower power output @ 61W). Perhaps it would be a good idea to contact the seller for verification.  :-//

Even the units that use an Apple PSU do work, but they're not quite as powerful or heat as fast due to the lower power output.

FWIW, listings I've seen on eBay that use an Apple power adapter all state it as if this was a good thing.  :o  :-DD

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 05:15:41 pm »
Well, I have liked the 937D+ version since it uses a better iron, but it seems that it is not available like the others. As I said, their Aliexpress shot sells it with EMC delivery to Jordan by double its price! DUH!!! I could get a genuine Hakko if I wanted to pay that.

I am now confused, should I buy the 937D (without +) listed above or try the one in this video:

the one in the video is also pricey (70$) but he says it costs less... I don't know how.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 05:22:32 pm »
There is also this 937D+: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131136973262?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

it is not Yihua but a "ZENY" one... go figure!

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 11:47:48 pm »
Your guess is as good as ours, that is 110V by the way. Even if they are telling the truth about the upgraded element, it's not like the other stations can't melt solder.

I also doubt that any of them are going to have a genuine Japanese Hakko element in it, just a clone/counterfeit of it like any other clone station. Another point is, was the element designed for a higher voltage? So did they put a better transformer in it?

So if you want everything to be perfect, don't buy a clone instead save up and get the original.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 12:35:15 am »
Your guess is as good as ours, that is 110V by the way. Even if they are telling the truth about the upgraded element, it's not like the other stations can't melt solder.

I also doubt that any of them are going to have a genuine Japanese Hakko element in it, just a clone/counterfeit of it like any other clone station. Another point is, was the element designed for a higher voltage? So did they put a better transformer in it?

So if you want everything to be perfect, don't buy a clone instead save up and get the original.

There are 220v versions of the + model. They use an imported iron which is for sure better than their own, regardless if it is by Japanese manufacturer or not.

I need a cheap station not a genuine one. That is the point.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 09:03:19 am »
getting a full soldering station for around 50$ shipped is unbeatable for me. Hakko cost is 90$ and you may add another 60$ for shipping which equals 150$ not to mention customs. So it is a big difference.

Plus, this will be my first station, other than these crappy wall plugged garbage... my current one is not even capable of heating the solder! yes the solder diameter is relatively big but still!! I need to make solder touch the tip from the sides not the tip's end like proper soldering... it is not doable at all!

So now I need to make sure I get the best 50$ total cost station. The kit featured in Voltlog is not available at a reasonable 50$ price.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 10:52:24 am »
Just don't expect "imported iron" or "genuine element" to be a real Hakko part, it's almost guaranteed to be a fake with Hakko markings. They have been selling fakes claiming this for years.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 07:27:45 pm »
What about the links I originally posted?   

The finished station is just under $43, and the kit form is even less @ $30 (kit + PSU + aluminum enclosure in order to have a complete station).  :-//

You'd even have some funds left over for a stand and brass wool tip cleaner and still be within your budget.  :-+

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 06:50:05 pm »
What about the links I originally posted?   

The finished station is just under $43, and the kit form is even less @ $30 (kit + PSU + aluminum enclosure in order to have a complete station).  :-//

You'd even have some funds left over for a stand and brass wool tip cleaner and still be within your budget.  :-+

I found this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/232537544645
along with these tips: https://www.ebay.com/itm/291836000614

station is just under 16$ DELIVERED to Jordan! tips are about 3$. I decided to buy 2 of each (for me and my cousin) since it is extremely cheap. total price for 2 sets = 36$.

I think this is kinda nice as a start up station, then I might get Hakko fx888d.

What do you think?

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 01:52:30 am »
Plenty of info on 936 clones both here in the forum and other sources all over the web.  ;) Simplest answer is YMMV.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 02:12:03 am »
This is closer to what they sold the Yihua 936 for a few years ago. I think I have seen these before but they didn't show up under a ebay.com USA search last time I checked.

A couple of things, that seller sets all his transactions to private and has a bit of bad feedback, a warning sign. It also says that the mains voltage is "110V and 220V can both use" which is not normal for 936 clones using transformers.

Unsure if it's a mistake or uses a cheap switch mode power supply instead of a transformer. Having the power switch on the front is useful but may also point to a switch mode supply.

You will find out soon enough anyway. You should do a video checking over the internals before plugging it in. Important things would be what mains voltage it's really wired for, what is earthed/grounded through to the mains and the quality of the connections/soldering.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2017, 06:20:36 am »
This is closer to what they sold the Yihua 936 for a few years ago. I think I have seen these before but they didn't show up under a ebay.com USA search last time I checked.

A couple of things, that seller sets all his transactions to private and has a bit of bad feedback, a warning sign. It also says that the mains voltage is "110V and 220V can both use" which is not normal for 936 clones using transformers.

Unsure if it's a mistake or uses a cheap switch mode power supply instead of a transformer. Having the power switch on the front is useful but may also point to a switch mode supply.

You will find out soon enough anyway. You should do a video checking over the internals before plugging it in. Important things would be what mains voltage it's really wired for, what is earthed/grounded through to the mains and the quality of the connections/soldering.

The Yihua 936 is on hobbyking for the same price of 16$ but with shipping it will reach around 50$ so it is not worth it much. However, this one is 16$ delivered to Jordan (the country near Palestine) with no extra fees! Sometimes I wonder how they could charge such a ridiculous price for that long distance and manufactured tools (regardless of quality).

I didn't order them yet as I wait for the seller to answer my questions. What would you buy if you had say 40-70$ budget for this item?

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 08:31:42 pm »
I have order them xD. 2 soldering stations for 31$ only! the tips set about 6$ for two sets.

Lets see what they will be! I will get back a month later for feedback.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2017, 12:40:40 am »
Since I brought 4 Yihua 936 clones for about $70 delivered in 2013 I don't need any more, however I did get another $100 in genuine T18 tips from the USA, so I have a very good selection to choose from. This came out still way under the cost of a Hakko station here locally.

If I was to choose today from whats out there, I'd salvage a suitable transformer, buy a T12 controller and iron. Find an enclosure for it, and finally use a genuine Hakko T12 tip. So perhaps around $60-70 instead of paying $300 USD here? Sort of cheating to get the price down but I'd end up with a better iron, just not as pretty.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf