Author Topic: ]Inside the new Poundland Power-geek 2200mAh power bank.  (Read 8342 times)

Offline johnlsenchakTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • js@antihotmail.com
    • paypal.me/johnsenchak
]Inside the new Poundland Power-geek 2200mAh power bank.
« on: September 17, 2018, 08:14:21 pm »

Inside the new Poundland Power-geek 2200mAh power bank.
bigclivedotcom
Published on Sep 17, 2018

A comparison between the new £2 Power Geek 2200mAh power bank and the standard £1 1200mAh unit. These units both put out 5V continuously with no glitches or low load shutdown. This makes them suitable for running low current loads for long periods of time.
John Senchak "Daytona  Beach  Florida "
 jls (at)  antihotmail.com   http://www.antihotmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/john.senchak.1

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
Re: ]Inside the new Poundland Power-geek 2200mAh power bank.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 08:59:52 pm »
I thought everything in poundland was supposed to be a pound, why is this now two?
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 09:07:17 pm »
I thought everything in poundland was supposed to be a pound, why is this now two?
Inflation. They needed to start selling things which cost more at some stage.

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 02:59:13 am »

Many things are still a pound (infact the vast bulk of things are £1). But they have started new ranges, where the price is higher, e.g. £2.
If I remember correctly, some things are even £5 (or some amount above £2), maybe more.

E.g. I recently bought some USB chargers there, for £2 each.

As Hero999 says, inflation as well.

Here are some pillows they sell, for £5 for a pack of 2.
http://www.poundland.co.uk/2pk-filled-pillows
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 03:05:25 am by MK14 »

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 03:11:06 am »
Forgive me, but Poundland doesn't sound good... It sounds like nothing but a brothel chain  to me.

I like having a huge range of items, I can buy for £1.
Anything priced more than that, is optional. You can just stick to £1, for everything, if you want.

A pack of screwdrivers, something like 5 or 6 screwdrivers, for £1, isn't bad. The quality is not going to be brilliant. But they are useful for some things.

A USB powerbank (as in this thread), for £1 or £2 for a better one. Sounds like very good value to me, and I'm tempted to buy them.

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 04:32:13 am »
A USB powerbank (as in this thread), for £1 or £2 for a better one. Sounds like very good value to me, and I'm tempted to buy them.

Anything with a Li-ion cell in it for that price is asking for trouble.
FYI, if you search Taobao, you will have a hard time to source the battery cell alone for that price, and that's even from China directly.

I have checked (watched), BigCliveDotComs video reviews of other (Not watched much of USB power bank video, yet), PoundLand stuff. The other items seem pretty reasonable for £1 (or £2), such as USB chargers.

PoundLand buy things in massive bulk quantities, and negotiate hard to get the best prices. If they can't get good prices, they pass (don't buy) on that item/seller and carry on finding other "bargain" items.

But you still have a valid point.
For my "main" USB powerbank, I've bought an "expensive" one, which had very good reviews on Amazon.
It's worth it, for when I'm out and about, and need a decent power source. Or even for when at home use and I don't( want to) or can't plug something into the mains.

But £1/£2 USB power banks, tempting, for powering quick projects and/or messing around and stuff. At that price, you can just bin it, when/if it eventually breaks.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 04:35:49 am by MK14 »

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 11:50:22 am »
Probably "good" recycled cells with most of their capacity still left.

Often, laptop packs will be discarded when one cell fails, but the others are still good. This is likely where those cells come from.

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 01:35:31 pm »
Probably "good" recycled cells with most of their capacity still left.

Often, laptop packs will be discarded when one cell fails, but the others are still good. This is likely where those cells come from.

I hope not. But you could easily be right, and you have me worried.

My primary concern is safety. As long as they are not going to burn the place down, then it shouldn't be too bad.

The thing is, the cheapest ones are £1 there.
I could easily pay £1 for a pack of 4 AA alkaline batteries, which would expire after 10 hours of use (depending on current drain of usage application), which would then be binned.
So, at £1, it is hard to go wrong (unless they are a fire or other, safety hazard).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf