Author Topic: 16 4K PC monitor array  (Read 642 times)

Offline Homer J Simpson

• Frequent Contributor
16 4K PC monitor array
« on: August 03, 2017, 10:08:46 AM »

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
Re: 16 4K PC monitor array
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 01:40:48 AM »
Those consumer electronics fanboys...
Putting those bolts, clicking those connectors, laying those cables.
What an archievement.
Being professional is making money while showing less dedication than a hobbyist.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 09:31:15 AM »
$10,000 worth of video cards and $12,000 worth of monitors to play a friggin' video game. |O  The sad thing is that I could see some gamer boy with no social life or skills with a good job and no one to spend his money on will go and do this.  (as I sit here with my dual 1920 x 1200 24" monitors)
Sometimes you have to look at life like a dog.  If you can't eat or hump it, piss on it and walk away.

Offline TwoOfFive

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 03:15:41 PM »
$10,000 worth of video cards and $12,000 worth of monitors to play a friggin' video game. |O  The sad thing is that I could see some gamer boy with no social life or skills with a good job and no one to spend his money on will go and do this.  (as I sit here with my dual 1920 x 1200 24" monitors)

I find it weird that some people on this forum like to bash video games and those who play them. Most people who play them are normal people, myself included. Alright, maybe I'm not so normal, but my point stands. In fact the largest demographic of video game players are adults, not children.

The misunderstanding of video games and everything around them is amazing to me. I apologize if I seem a bit salty on this topic, I do have a passion for video games. Computing in general is what inspired my interested in EE, and video games is to me as card and board games are to many other people.
Making programmers cry since 2002.
If it's broken, it's probably the caps.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 03:31:07 PM »
The most extreme gamers go as far as to buy actual aircraft parts to try to match the experience of flying a real plane.
http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2012/04/17/flying-the-world-from-his-own-garage/

Offline Halcyon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 04:02:43 PM »
This array of monitors is more distracting than anything. Does anyone find the frames and bezels of the displays distracting and annoying? No matter how high the combined resolution is, it still looks shit having the image broken up into 1/16th blocks. It's really not impressive in the slightest.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 04:46:59 PM »
This array of monitors is more distracting than anything. Does anyone find the frames and bezels of the displays distracting and annoying? No matter how high the combined resolution is, it still looks shit having the image broken up into 1/16th blocks. It's really not impressive in the slightest.
That's the main reason why I have a 50" 4K monitor instead of 4 25" 1080p monitors. I also had the chance to get a good deal on another large 4K monitor, but passed because having two puts the border right in the middle of the viewing area and I didn't have the room for three.

Back when 4K cost a fortune, I have seen a store display with 4 1080p monitors arranged in a grid to showcase the GTX 680 that was then the best GPU available.

I would really like to see a monitor design that's truly "borderless" - literally having pixels all the way up to at least one edge. The main downside of one very large monitor is that it's hard to move.

Offline Halcyon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 04:55:40 PM »
I would really like to see a monitor design that's truly "borderless" - literally having pixels all the way up to at least one edge. The main downside of one very large monitor is that it's hard to move.

They exist, we use them at work as part of a "video wall" which is roughly about 7 metres long by 3 metres high. It can be configured on the fly into any number of different "displays". For example, you could have one large tile that takes up the entire height of the display with several smaller tiles surrounding it. I think at any given time, it's probably displaying about 20 or more different inputs.

We use it to feed inputs anywhere from computers, to CCTV feeds, television and text information. Each segment almost has no borders at all (only a few millimetres between segments).

Of course it's very expensive and not something you'll find in someone's home.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 04:57:50 PM by Halcyon »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 10:46:17 PM »

I find it weird that some people on this forum like to bash video games and those who play them. Most people who play them are normal people, myself included. Alright, maybe I'm not so normal, but my point stands. In fact the largest demographic of video game players are adults, not children.

The misunderstanding of video games and everything around them is amazing to me. I apologize if I seem a bit salty on this topic, I do have a passion for video games. Computing in general is what inspired my interested in EE, and video games is to me as card and board games are to many other people.

You misjudge me.  I have played more than my fair share of Doom, Quake and Duke Nukem back in the day.  I simply don't have the interest in video games any longer.  I don't begrudge anyone their video games.  But to spend $22,000 for a wall of monitors, that in my opinion, looks like crap, is utterly ridiculous.  Halcyon is right, those borders would ruin the experience for me.  Why not buy a Sony VPL-VW365ES 4K projector, get a big screen or properly prepare a wall for use with the projector and have a large 4K display without borders for a third of the money.

I know the biggest demographic is adults.  If it wasn't, there wouldn't be professional gamers making a good living from it.  Both my sons-in-law play video games, they just do it on less than 50" and enjoy their gaming time just fine.  It's not the size that counts, it's what you do with it that does.
Sometimes you have to look at life like a dog.  If you can't eat or hump it, piss on it and walk away.

Offline kalel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 10:54:56 PM »
I know the biggest demographic is adults.  If it wasn't, there wouldn't be professional gamers making a good living from it.  Both my sons-in-law play video games, they just do it on less than 50" and enjoy their gaming time just fine.  It's not the size that counts, it's what you do with it that does.

To focus on this, here are a few parameters that I personally think matter:

- Color quality

Something that's not easy to know before purchasing a monitor, especially if doing so online. Some will just have nicer colors and better contrast than others. Sure, it depends on the technology but it's not easy to get an idea from the specs. Of course, you can't get a clear idea from YouTube videos either. The only solution would be to go to a store that shows multiple monitors together, and see which looks best.

- Refresh rate

Higher refresh rate will provide a more fluid experience. But... it will cost more too. You may end up needing two expensive graphic cards instead of just one. It's not always going to be worth it. If budget is not a concern, I would say this does actually improve the experience.

- Resolution

Higher resolution is obviously going to give you more detail. The only real downside is again the cost (higher resolution monitor means a more expensive computer again). Also, textures in games need to be higher resolution to look good on a better resolution display, so that means a larger size and a longer download, but that's not necessarily an issue these days.

I would put all of those before size. As long as the size is reasonable (e.g. 20 something inch). Provided that the resolution is large enough, the screen size will depend on how close or far you are sitting from the computer. If you want to play from a distance (e.g. console games), you might be better off with an LCD TV.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 11:08:56 PM by kalel »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Sparky Lab's
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 11:04:01 PM »
I think I'll stick to my one 4K IPS monitor as I don't have time for games :) Surely the frames becomes really annoying ? I mean I appreciate the fete of putting it all together but who wants one ?
The ĀµCurrent has landed in Europe and now also selling Probe Master probes: http://www.simonselectronics.co.uk New stock now in.

Offline TwoOfFive

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 12:27:21 AM »

You misjudge me.  I have played more than my fair share of Doom, Quake and Duke Nukem back in the day.  I simply don't have the interest in video games any longer.  I don't begrudge anyone their video games.  But to spend $22,000 for a wall of monitors, that in my opinion, looks like crap, is utterly ridiculous.  Halcyon is right, those borders would ruin the experience for me.  Why not buy a Sony VPL-VW365ES 4K projector, get a big screen or properly prepare a wall for use with the projector and have a large 4K display without borders for a third of the money.

The point of the video isn't to suggest to anybody to buy this. Not only does nothing run, the borders of course get in the way. It's not intended to be practical in the slightest, it's just intended to be an insane setup.

I actually just beat the first doom yesterday. I am an avid old PC collector, and I still enjoy those games.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 02:33:40 AM »

The point of the video isn't to suggest to anybody to buy this. Not only does nothing run, the borders of course get in the way. It's not intended to be practical in the slightest, it's just intended to be an insane setup.

I actually just beat the first doom yesterday. I am an avid old PC collector, and I still enjoy those games.

Oh, I understand to point of it.  But I can also see someone with more disposable income than they know what to do with would say, cool, I have to have that.  The comedian George Carlin once said that nail together 2 things that have never been nailed together before and some schmuck will buy it.  You just beat doom, huh?  I might have to go looking for my old discs.

Offline TwoOfFive

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 02:38:56 AM »
I have Doom on tape.

Seriously, I have a QIC-80 backup tape with Doom 2 on it.

Online rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 08:14:45 AM »
Original floppies, one won't read though.

I made a few pretty decent levels for both Doom and Quake over the years. I still break out the map editor every now and then.

Online RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 09:15:54 AM »
The most extreme gamers go as far as to buy actual aircraft parts to try to match the experience of flying a real plane.
http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2012/04/17/flying-the-world-from-his-own-garage/
The setups when Star Citizen releases will be insane also. If it ever gets finished...

Imagine what he'd have done it he was as enthusiastic over Theme Hospital  :scared:

Linus always likes to do extreme systems and sets. It's what drives views and he can get companies to provide the equipment for loan or even keep for free.

Honestly I'd do the same in his position just to see if it's as ludicrous and audacious as it sounds.
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Online Circlotron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 10:18:53 AM »
We can relax in the smug knowledge that those overspending game fanboys will be punished by the fact that in six months their hardware will be superseded by something new and better that they will be wanting to go and buy. Us normal people will get their old stuff for a fraction of the new price.   :-+

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2017, 01:10:12 PM »
What bothers me with these setups is that they always go with pair numbers, they should go with impair numbers, so that the centre of the display is not the + created by the bezels.  So go with 9 monitors, or 25 etc.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

http://opalkelly.com/