Author Topic: 3D Printer yet?  (Read 319186 times)

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: 3D Printer yet?
« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2018, 12:19:06 am »
The Ender Pro compared to the CR-10 does slam the limit switches and I think shares the same board. I have never looked at the Marlin Firmware but maybe something in there to tweak even tweak the pot on the driver board? If it is hitting a hard stop then time to change the position of the switch the Pro seems to be 5-6mm clear of anything on the X axis. I believe there may be enough memory on the board to add Bed Levelling too.

The Stock Nozzles on the Flexion extruder are short compared to the Creality ones and the Silicone  sleeve adds some depth to the block making it difficult to get in close. I have tweaked the duct design again to get a little more clearance over the bed/job (angled the ducts down). That one in the photo was down to 2mm from the nozzle tip.

I had a job go a little wrong dimension wise (bottom part didn't go where it was supposed to) so I tweaked the design into a lid to do another job :) Pin Punches are perfect for popping supports out of holes BTW. Lettering -0.2 printed at 0.2 layer, more playing with depths and layer heights to improve it.

Also re measured and fixed the dimensions for it's initial purpose.  :palm:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2018, 01:54:10 pm »
Slamming hard could indicate they're not using interrupts on the limit switches, or possibly just homing way too fast.

Also possible the limit switch inputs are just too slow - my Anet board came with 10uF(!!) caps as 'filters' on all the limit inputs, this was rather a problem for my Z probe. China..

Offline metrologistTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2018, 02:08:32 pm »
Found a reddit topic and seems a few have commented similarly, and posted a video. One said they bent the switch levers out to give more time and that helped.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: October 10, 2018, 02:01:56 am »
Re: Ender 3 hitting the stops. I did just as I read on reddit, I bent the x home switch lever end slightly out with needle nose pliers. Now homing is soft and nice. I need to bring the Z limit and bed down to maximize height. I am now printing a dimensional "turner's cube"

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: October 10, 2018, 07:50:13 am »
Cubes are boring find something interlocking and test it ;)

WIP just tweaking the clearance between the lid and base (forgot to allow for a side wall on the base :palm:) As I broke my hacked case for my TS-100 I reworked a split enclosure design I have been playing with into a light compact shell to throw in my onsite bag. Allen Key has a holder under the solder. Beats the hell out of travelling with a Weller soldering station/Inverter.

The Enclosure is made from two identical parts +- whatever mounts or cutouts get added. I have designed a TPU sleeve to keep them together when I get the Flexion/Ender dialled in.

Good news on the switch too  :-+

** Sorted, Samsung S7 for comparison. Case is 160x0x16.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 11:02:25 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: October 10, 2018, 01:20:43 pm »
The cube is just a dimensional reference of the printer's accuracy. Worst is (+0.5 -0.13)mm. That is pretty much with default settings all around and using Cura. I downloaded FreeCAD and gave it a spin for this test.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: October 10, 2018, 02:55:16 pm »
Still going back and forth with GearBest on warranty for my Creality Ender 3.  They appear to be giving me the rope a dope treatment.  "Thanks for your contact.  We will get back to you within two business days."  Repeat when questioned on status.

I have been coming up the learning curve on FreeCAD and am pretty happy at the moment.  There are some quirks that may be unique to the Windows implementation on numeric entry (can't enter numbers from numeric keypad, but can from number keys - can't enter fractional numbers for scaling until existing zero pad is erased and similar things), but so far most of the problems have been getting me up to speed on solid modelling terminology and methods.  I am looking forward to trying the Electrostatic and Fluids solvers in the FEM module once I get over the initial hump.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2018, 03:16:24 pm »
I did not understand the "toolpaths" that I ended up with. I created a thin-walled cube and it printed from corner to corner in a back and forth way, but would move to an adjacent corner for every "wall" - just my guess. I did not quite get what number of walls mean in Cura. Anyway, crumby cellphone picture. It can't print the top part of a vertical hole very well.

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #108 on: October 10, 2018, 03:25:33 pm »
Still going back and forth with GearBest on warranty for my Creality Ender 3.  They appear to be giving me the rope a dope treatment.  "Thanks for your contact.  We will get back to you within two business days."  Repeat when questioned on status.

I have been coming up the learning curve on FreeCAD and am pretty happy at the moment.  There are some quirks that may be unique to the Windows implementation on numeric entry (can't enter numbers from numeric keypad, but can from number keys - can't enter fractional numbers for scaling until existing zero pad is erased and similar things), but so far most of the problems have been getting me up to speed on solid modelling terminology and methods.  I am looking forward to trying the Electrostatic and Fluids solvers in the FEM module once I get over the initial hump.

Numeric pad? Works for me. Do you have numlock active, otherwise it'll just function as cursor keys.

Fortunately both my sons are studying mech eng, so I just ask one of them to create the 3D models (they use solidworks) for me :) Though I really need to get proficient at it myself...

cheers,
george.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: October 10, 2018, 03:50:18 pm »

Numeric pad? Works for me. Do you have numlock active, otherwise it'll just function as cursor keys.

Fortunately both my sons are studying mech eng, so I just ask one of them to create the 3D models (they use solidworks) for me :) Though I really need to get proficient at it myself...

cheers,
george.

It is weird.  Numlock is active (my default condition).  Problem shows up predominantly in the scaling process.  But when setting a scaling factor can only enter positive integers using the keypad.  I can enter positions, sizes and so on just fine when using the numeric pad.  It may still be something about the way I am using the program.  Or something specific to Win10. 

As with much GNU stuff the documentation is voluminous, but not necessarily informative.  Fortunately it shares a lot of fundamental concepts with commercial modelling programs and I have a couple of good books on Solidworks to guide me.

I am sure there are better ways to do some of what I have done.  For example, the only way I could figure to get a complex regular, but non standard shape in was to set up the equations for the shape in Excel, plot it there, use the Snipping tool to copy and paste to Inkscape, trace that bitmap graphic in Inkscape and then export the result as an .svg file for import into FreeCAD.  Works a charm, but probably there are a couple of easier ways to do it.  One would be to write a Python script (yet another learning curve).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: October 10, 2018, 07:04:41 pm »
Did you try any of the FreeCAD youtube tutorials? To get off the ground I watched this one, and his second has a different approach using a constrained system that might be more interesting to you.

There is a Learn FreeCAD channel too...

Note that I too had some issues entering values, usually for positioning a part. Click and it highlights the field, type numbers and rather than changing the numeric value in the highlighted field, the view angle would change. I was trying to figure out what I did wrong. I was sure I selected the part first.  :-//
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 07:06:41 pm by metrologist »

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2018, 11:29:13 pm »
I have looked at several of the help files and tutorials.  The two you posted were new to me, and some of the better ones.  I picked up a couple of things from them.  But I am still left with mysteries that are glossed over in the videos.  He quickly moves things around using the placement values to get things lined up.  But where he got the values used is a little mysterious.  In the first video it apparently comes because he knows the zero reference for the primitives.  I say apparently because in my own fiddling around they sometimes get put in in strange places, and you end up just trying values until it gets to where you want it.  It also gets strange when making two or more fairly complex assemblies and then putting them together.

He did make the use of constraints clearer than other "tutorials" I have read and watched. 

He places his focus on the Part and Part Design workbenches.  So far I have found it necessary/useful/clicks with me to add the Draft and Sketcher workbenches.  I think the key is groking the FreeCAD hierarchy of coordinate systems and inheritance.  I'm not there yet.

I will repeat that I am finding FreeCAD better than any other low cost tool I have tried and at least as far as I can tell nearly as good as the very high end tools.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: October 11, 2018, 10:43:18 am »
Much as Autodesk has issues Fusion 360 Free plan is a good option too.

Nothing to do with Electronics in particular other than my shacks Espresso machine in down for a proper overhaul (my 'real job) :o Brewed Coffee saving the day on that front.

What has 8 top, bottom and perimeter layers and 50% infill? This jig and some 6mm wood inserts is what. I have made it a tap on with a hammer fit then screw in the locators and break out the big stilsons. Last time I did this was a very horrid hacked up thing drilled and tapped from scrap steel since lost in the pile. 5 hours to print this one and should be fine for a few uses and cheap to make another if it breaks or wears out.

The Wood inserts are 'interesting' to use but doable with 180-200 on the rework gun to warm the insert and general area before winding in. I had 6mm knurl nuts but these have better side area for this job.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 10:45:35 am by beanflying »

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: October 16, 2018, 01:56:01 am »
Due to a shift in Beer choices  :popcorn: I needed a stubbie opener in the shack (and on the keyring), a trip to thingiverse got me an STL to use as a base with a 0.01 Euro coin. I have a big baggy of Aussie 1C coins that are out of general circulation so I made a new Fusion 360 drawing to suit.

6 layers all round and printed side down is plenty strong enough but I will try a 4 layer one before I make a little stash as company/friend giveaways. Just warm the coin slightly if you make the slot just undersized as I did for mine and press in.

Dave got a dirty head as I had a bad idea to use permanent marker to colour it in (bleed down the layer lines) maybe nail polish or enamel paint in the cut might work?

Due to the variations in coins or washers you might like to use I have included the Fusion drawing below along with an STL EEVBlog logo opener to take the Aussie Peso if anyone is interested.

Nothing to do with Electronics for the other project but interesting putting together some learned CAD skills to roll a complete R/C Glider fuselage. Without chopping it into smaller bits it is max size for the CR-10 and will suit 1.2-1.5m wings. Basically 0.8-1mm walls seems to be plenty stiff and strong and the nose sheath gets a double layer if you dork it in  :palm: Lots more to do with the internal structure/mounts etc. but I have started work on a laser cut wing kit for one of my other toys to make.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: October 16, 2018, 07:35:34 am »
I think like Trump, Dave does not imbibe. Coincidentally, I heard on the news tonight that global warming is expected to hit the barley and hops hard, so price should rise accordingly.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: October 18, 2018, 08:10:15 pm »
Well, now the fun begins. I'm starting to have bed adhesion issues and some other anomalies at the start of the print.

In some cases, I've seen the first layer or so simply start to lift at some narrow edge or corner. If a small amount and there is enough buildup, the print can continue with a minor defect. But usually, the head will come across and hit the lifted section. Other times I notice a small fuzzball or artifact mysteriously appear almost immediately. After that, the nozzle will hit that and break that section free of the bed. I haven't figured out what's going on there as it's almost impossible to focus on the nozzle when it's that close to the bed. I almost want to say I see some plastic curling up around the nozzle that eventually sticks to the part, or other times it looks a piece of the plastic just curls up from the part layer.

Maybe I am experiencing the issue with the bowden tube working its way out of the head because of poor quality tube and quick connect fittings. Also, the center of my bed is getting smooth due to the scrapper and trying to work the finished parts off. The bed had immense grip on the first prints - it was too good! That was certainly a better problem than what  have now, so I was thinking of a way to restore some of the texture. I may also get a thin piece of glass or mirror and have it coarse sandblasted. Maybe I'll keep one smooth for variety.

Another question, if bed leveling, or rather, Squish is so important, how is that addressed when printing thin layers? Is that done by the extrusion rate relative to linear motion? I might have the nozzle too close as I usually use a skirt adhesion and it is typically much flatter than anything like a D shape, but I am also using thinner layers than when I started out. There are so many settings it's getting hard to remember what I did and changed. Cura does provide a list of deviations from the default settings, however. Time to start serializing these combinations and marking the prints.

I finally figured out how to get "vase" mode by selecting Spiralize Outer Contour under the Special modes...

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #116 on: October 19, 2018, 01:41:38 am »
I run my first layer at half speed or sometimes even slower.

I now have a heated bed, but you don't need that for pla, at least.  the 'build tak' style platforms are great, them them a try.  once I went with build-tak style, I never have pla issues anymore.

also, I make the bottom layer 101% thickness, so that lines touch each other more than normal, just to get that first layer sticking better.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2018, 03:24:50 am »
Thanks! I found Initial Layer Height in mm and Initial Layer Flow in %. I cleaned the bed well and 'roughed' it up with a small stainless 'tooth' brush, and slowed the initial layer speed to 20mm/s. I'm printing a reference rocket and it's working better now - perfect actually.

There may not be a Cura setting, but I'd like to turn off the heated bed after several layers as it seems unnecessary to keep that hot.

Here we go, I guess it's about a buck in material alone to print this size rocket, and that is not something I'd buy in the dollar store. The fun I'm having though is almost priceless, and maybe I'll learn something too...  :-+

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #118 on: October 19, 2018, 08:04:12 am »
@ beanflying

You can print as much samples as you want, but this printer remains a simple sausage printer for me with poor quality of the parts and bad ecological fingerprint as it is a source of micro plastic. Sorry, but had to say that.

-branadic-
Computers exist to solve problems that we wouldn't have without them. AI exists to answer questions, we wouldn't ask without it.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: October 19, 2018, 12:21:38 pm »
I don't see how this printer is any worse than any other 3D printer as a source of microplastic.  It is my understanding that PLA is biodegrade able, so not a huge issue.

I have seen high quality prints from this printer and made a couple myself.  Are you asserting that other printers are less sensitive to the myriad of settings involved?

My personal issue with a defective component is being resolved (after a threat to get my credit card company involved).  Since I can't compare defect rates between various venders/suppliers I don't know if there is a valid quality knock against Creality or the retailer I purchased it from.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: October 19, 2018, 01:50:39 pm »
I wasn't sure if branadic was referring to his Anycubic Photon or generally FDM printers, and general failure rates.  :-//

So far I've had very little waste in the projects I've done. It is certainly orders of magnitude less than if I were machining parts from bulk stock plastic.

So now I have planned to print a case for my LCR component tester (~10m of filament) and will design something I fancy for my Arduino LCD shield. The designs I found on Thingiverse use too much plastic (~30m).

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: October 20, 2018, 03:52:54 am »
@ beanflying

You can print as much samples as you want, but this printer remains a simple sausage printer for me with poor quality of the parts and bad ecological fingerprint as it is a source of micro plastic. Sorry, but had to say that.

-branadic-

PLA prints are the bulk of what I am doing so plant based and to a fair degree biodegradable over time even without proper recycling. ABS, PETG etc are a different matter and as generally parts lack recycle numbers or proper waste stream access for a lot so. As humans we generally tread heavy in the environment  :(

Quality for one offs or prototypes please give me a better and more cost effective process? There is NO better alternate I am aware of on quality to cost for this purpose!

Balsa Bashing for model making was faster than belows effort  :palm:

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: October 20, 2018, 02:14:47 pm »
The two cases I mentioned, and a straw to replace something I did...

Note: I tried to sand and then use a torch to smooth the fuzzies. PLA is quite flammable and those cases caught fire! Maybe not as suitable for electronics...

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2018, 02:20:24 pm »
You should try ABS, then. Jeez that stuff can get an inferno going.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: October 20, 2018, 11:10:36 pm »
As most plastics are insulators I don't see a problem with using 3D printed or any plastic enclosures for light duties. Elevated temps or harsh environments then use what you need to. I have set up gear in explosive UL rated enclosures before $$

Use a heat gun or rework station rather than if I read you right you were using naked flame  :o Also up you retraction in your slicer by 1-2mm should sort out some more of the fuzzy bits.

Yesterdays slightly pointless but handy kit to keep the place nicer. Designed and put to CAD over a beer then printed while I slept. Woke up this morning to this good but slightly imperfect solution (wire is still a bit untidy).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf