Author Topic: A member change the title of my post ? Is this common ?  (Read 3715 times)

Offline ez24Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
A member change the title of my post ? Is this common ?
« on: January 22, 2018, 02:29:23 am »
First time this has happened to me (that I know of)  -  look at the titles of messages   12 and 13.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/aneng-an860b-multimeter-aliexpress-warning/msg1405915/#msg1405915

It confused the hell out of me for a long time (I am easy to confuse  :-DD)   so I really do not like this.  I kept thinking I was in the wrong post, so I went back and forth for about 1/2 hour until I figured this out  |O

ebastler

changed the title of my post!  Is this common - I never noticed this before ?   Is this something that I should pay attention to?  I have changed the title of my posts but I never dreamed of changing someone's post.  Should I ?  I learned something new.

thanks
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 02:33:44 am by ez24 »
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
The Quick Brown Fox Jumps Over The Lazy Dog
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 02:32:39 am »
I've seen this on forums before, and it doesn't surprise me that it exists.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: A member change the title of my post ? Is this common ?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 02:35:27 am »
changed the title of my post!

He didn't change the title of your post, he changed the title of his post in response to yours. Everyone is entitled to put any title they like on their own posts. Only you can change the title of your own posts.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
First time this has happened to me (that I know of)  -  look at the titles of messages   12 and 13.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/aneng-an860b-multimeter-aliexpress-warning/msg1405915/#msg1405915

It confused the hell out of me for a long time (I am easy to confuse  :-DD)   so I really do not like this.  I kept thinking I was in the wrong post, so I went back and forth for about 1/2 hour until I figured this out  |O

ebastler

changed the title of my post!  Is this common - I never noticed this before ?   Is this something that I should pay attention to?  I have changed the title of my posts but I never dreamed of changing someone's post.  Should I ?  I learned something new.

thanks

When you reply to a post, the subject line at the top of the reply box can be edited or replaced (as I did above).  I never noticed it until you mentioned it, but now as I actually look at it, it's obvious.  Though I think it only changes the title of the post being made, and, I would guess, any that quote that post.  I'd expect that a later quote of an earlier post would retain the original post's title.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 02:37:24 am »
He didn't change the title of your post, he changed the title of his own post in response to yours. Everyone is entitled to put any title they like on their own posts. Only you can change the title of your own posts.

Yes I know (after 1/2 hour)    Is this common ?
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 02:50:05 am »
Pretty sure most forum software works like this. Look at Slashdot for example.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 02:57:32 am »
So far no one has changed these   :-DD :-DD :-DD

Guess it is something I have to keep my eyes open for.  Is there any purpose for this? 

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
Rhubarb Rhubarb Rhubarb
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 03:01:29 am »
Guess it is something I have to keep my eyes open for.  Is there any purpose for this?

It's no different than changing the subject line in an E-mail thread. Sometimes posts drift off topic, and it's a nice way to indicate a change of tack.

The following users thanked this post: ez24

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 04:22:03 am »
Is there any purpose for this?
Yep, to make the title of a thread more accurately represent its content.

One you most likely know but probably not by its link:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hear-kitty-kitty-kitty-nope-not-that-kind-of-cat/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
So far no one has changed these   :-DD :-DD :-DD

For the original poster (the one who created the thread) changing the title of the original post will change the title of the thread on the board lists ... something which gets suggested on occasion when the OP hasn't chosen their wording particularly well.

Other times, the members responding have their own thoughts on an appropriate title - sometimes because they feel like it and sometimes because:
Sometimes posts drift off topic, and it's a nice way to indicate a change of tack.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 05:00:45 am »
It is apparently rare enough (at least for your threads and those you read) that you never noticed it before.
Since it is a common feature in most forum software, it doesn't seem like a big deal.   :-//

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
I am in love with the AN8008 (inside joke)
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 05:23:20 am »
Actually I find this rude  (not you Brumby).  I have "suggested" a couple of times to the OP it might be better to change the title but I never did.

In my case the member changed it to something that had NOTHING to do with me or my post !

I like the meters the company makes, I have 3 and I want more.

It had nothing to do about communications.

It was about seeing Awaiting shipment on one page and Order Cancelled on the detail page.  Tomorrow I will read it again and perhaps make it clearer.  :-+

I will change the title tomorrow (I am getting too tired to think  :-DD)

I remember the Kitty  - funny it was changed in #2 and joe never said anything

I do not like this but I guess it is something I need to keep an eye on.  In the meantime I am trying to understand Brumby's title  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Learn something new everyday is a good thing.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 05:24:00 am »
Its rare, I did only few on my own threads, which started as a questioning thread to buy a new T&M, and the thread turned into discussions, while in the middle discussion, I bought it and did a teardown.

At that specific post that has the tear down post, I did rename the post's title as reference, hopefully to aid searching in the future.

Example at this thread -> HERE which started as questioning thread, and in buried in the middle of the thread this particular post -> HERE, just watch this post's title.

Also did this few times in my gigantic Tektronix 2465B thread, main purpose is just to improve the visibility of search result.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 05:27:29 am by BravoV »

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 05:41:02 am »
I suspect that occasionally people don't realise or notice that they have accidentally altered the thread title during a reply and somehow seem to add all sorts of garbage to the original title, what's worse is people making the thread title too long without a break as Brumby has done in reply #9, it screws up the column widths in the recent posts list on the main page because the sentence cannot wrap, not an issue when viewed from a PC but from other devices it can be a real headache to pan around and view.

:palm: ::) :P
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 06:13:16 am by Muttley Snickers »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: I am in love with the AN8008 (inside joke)
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 06:26:26 am »

I remember the Kitty  - funny it was changed in #2 and joe never said anything

Further into the Kitty thread I started a dialogue with Joe about his thread title and suggested that a name better relevant to the thread content would/should get many more views and a larger following.
He thought about it for a few days and changed the OP to what it is today, a great resource for anyone wanting to research any of the better DMM's.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 01:56:35 pm »
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 02:11:42 pm by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf