Author Topic: A rant at bad questions  (Read 8621 times)

Offline LightagesTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
A rant at bad questions
« on: October 06, 2015, 08:22:39 pm »
I would like to buy a piece of test equipment and was looking at many. Which is best?

This is almost not a joke. I can't count how many times questions this vague and open come up. C'mon people, ask a question that can be answered!!!!!  |O

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
Re: A rant at bad questions
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 08:24:36 pm »
I would like to buy a piece of test equipment and was looking at many. Which is best?

This is almost not a joke. I can't count how many times questions this vague and open come up. C'mon people, ask a question that can be answered!!!!!  |O

Response:
I would like to make money and have many for sell. Which would you like to buy?
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 08:34:46 pm »
The problem is that inexperience means that some people do not ask the right question. A beginner looking for a multimeter will see hundreds of choices so they ask 'what multimeter should I buy'. It's our job to educate them about CAT ratings, maximum counts and the perils of cheap stuff made in China.

Now expand this problem out to the myriad of other subjects, we could be busy.

The websites have guides on what equipment to buy (TRX Bench has a good one on SMD soldering right now) so we could start by steering them in the right direction. The knowledge is out there, just well hidden.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline Balaur

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 08:35:42 pm »
C'mon people, ask a question that can be answered!!!!!  |O

Well, I have this thing I bought on eBay, but it's not working. I'm sure it's something easy though, as the seller said it's like new. Maybe it's just a broken wire or something. Please help me.

PS: This question is for experts only. Anybody else please abstain.

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 08:38:19 pm »

1. What do you want to do with it.
2. What else have you got.
3. What do you want to spend.

It's a jungle out there, give them some guidance...
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline lukewproffitt

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 09:45:06 pm »
Well, I have this thing I bought on eBay, but it's not working. I'm sure it's something easy though, as the seller said it's like new. Maybe it's just a broken wire or something. Please help me.

PS: This question is for experts only. Anybody else please abstain.

Have you tried recalibrating the primary field stator to the inverse frequency of the phase shift oscillator? If so, you may also need to invert the polarity of the secondary induction coils and increase the frequency to compensate for quantum helix drift.

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 12:03:27 am »
wilfred:

I understand what you are saying, but the joke question I posed is really not far from reality. I do not expect everyone to think like me. That would be boring. I do expect people to ask a question with at least some information. Just asking a cold question like "I want to buy a multimeter, what is best for me?" and they provide absolutely nothing else........

I have provided information over and over and over about the same subjects and have spent a lot of time trying to help educate those who are new to a subject. It just gets tiring to have to ask over and over and over what the questioner thinks he wants and what he wants to do with whatever item he wants to purchase.

My rant is clear and to the point. A rant by definition is not a rational expression and I was just getting it off my chest. Don't try to over analyze a rant...  :-DD

Now that I have gotten it off my chest, I will continue to help where I can, even if the question isn't clear.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 12:38:39 am by Lightages »

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 12:13:11 am »
Hi, I would like to know which components to solder into the holes.
:-DD
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 07:00:28 am by crispy_tofu »

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 02:28:22 am »
Kindly give the answer. I will do the needful.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline cimmo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 05:08:53 am »
Hi, I would like to know which components to solder into the holes.
:-DD
A CPU!   >:D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 05:11:17 am by cimmo »
Noise filter is set to ignore: Zapta, dunkemhigh, dannyf

Offline Skimask

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 08:13:33 am »
Have you tried recalibrating the primary field stator to the inverse frequency of the phase shift oscillator? If so, you may also need to invert the polarity of the secondary induction coils and increase the frequency to compensate for quantum helix drift.
Inverting the polarity of the secondary induction coils is only necessary if the phase detractors have evidence of increased side fumbling.
I didn't take it apart.
I turned it on.

The only stupid question is, well, most of them...

Save a fuse...Blow an electrician.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 08:25:56 am »
I usually reply: "Is it a hamster?"

Offline lukewproffitt

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 09:52:46 am »
Inverting the polarity of the secondary induction coils is only necessary if the phase detractors have evidence of increased side fumbling.

What about the effects on the reciprocating dinkle-arm? Surely that gives an offset to the deractive capacitance.

Offline wiss

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 01:54:15 pm »

Hey! That's my attitude when I browse ebay!  >:D

Offline bitslice

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 02:03:43 pm »

This is the exact same person who sells electronics equipment on eBay

"I'm selling this thing, I am unable to plug it in even though I have a box full of the required mains leads,
I also have a £2,000 oscilloscope, but I'm unable to connect a paperclip from the test point to the input to show it working.
If it helps I have a blurred picture of the front taken from 20 feet away, just in case you wanted to know the model number"

|O

« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 02:05:19 pm by bitslice »

The following users thanked this post: sokoloff

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 02:10:50 pm »
I would like to buy a piece of test equipment clothing and was looking at many. Which is best?

Adapted it for shopping women  :-+.

Solution? Get a lot of them. In the end you're taking practically nothing into consideration, so just do what women do when shopping and grab the things you like. Not that it's bad, it's just the way women like to shop ??? You might end up only using one or two, but at least test gear can be sold.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 02:14:08 pm by ivan747 »

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 07:13:39 am »

This is the exact same person who sells electronics equipment on eBay

"I'm selling this thing, I am unable to plug it in even though I have a box full of the required mains leads,
I also have a £2,000 oscilloscope, but I'm unable to connect a paperclip from the test point to the input to show it working.
If it helps I have a blurred picture of the front taken from 20 feet away, just in case you wanted to know the model number"

|O

:-+
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline matts-uk

• Contributor
  • select * from user where clue = null
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 09:50:49 am »
In my experience, five is the optimal many.  However, if you would like to buy a piece a test equipment, may I recommend you look at a piece of test equipment.

How many exclamation marks is enough (!)

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 11:26:41 am »
my personal favourite is people who don't bother setting a location on their profile, nor state it in their post asking "where's the best place to buy xxxxx".

Online Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2015, 03:58:14 pm »

"Multiple exclamation marks are the sign of a diseased mind" - T Pratchett
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2015, 07:40:49 pm »

Hmm, well is it bad form to ask if being morally bankrupt is in itself morally bankrupt or is it morally bankrupt to be morally bankrupt in one persons mind but not anothers, or are we in fact morally bankrupt to even ask the question in itself.  :-DD
Electrons are typically male, always looking for any hole to get into.
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2015, 08:23:51 pm »
my personal favourite is people who don't bother setting a location on their profile, nor state it in their post asking "where's the best place to buy xxxxx".

Well, if they don't want to be specific and helpful in their quest, be equally helpful by telling them where the best place to buy it in YOUR corner of the world is.  You'll have answered the question as it was asked...   >:D

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2015, 08:45:58 pm »

"Multiple exclamation marks are the sign of a diseased mind" - T Pratchett

Diseased? No. Ranting mind? Yes!

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2015, 08:54:10 pm »

More like, I know it's faulty but I hope some poor sod takes a risk and I'll get more for it that way.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2015, 09:11:12 pm »

More like, I know it's faulty but I hope some poor sod takes a risk and I'll get more for it that way.

I was recently looking at HP VNAs on ebay, found one listed as used even though the screen was showing an error that indicated it had exactly the same fault as mine had. So I asked the seller to clarify and he assured me that it was working perfectly, but wouldn't put a fresh picture up of it working.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf