Author Topic: A Simple DIY Vacuum Pick & Place Hack  (Read 8168 times)

Offline Jon ChandlerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Throw Away PIC
A Simple DIY Vacuum Pick & Place Hack
« on: August 20, 2013, 11:46:02 pm »
While pondering how to best build a vacuum pick & place tool, I wondered if anyone had every converted a nebulizer for the task.  A nebulizer is used by asmatics and others with breathing difficulties to inhale medications – basically, it's a low pressure, low volume air pump and they can be frequently found at thrift stores around here for a few bucks.

My search didn't discover anyone who had done this, but had a lot of results for "nebulizer/vacuum pumps."  Turns out that the heart of a nebulizer is just a diaphram air pump that's perfectly happy pumping air or drawing a vacuum!

To convert a nebulizer to a vacuum pump for pick & place, all you have to do is swap the hoses at the connector ports inside the box – literally a five minute job.

The details of the system I built are shown here.  I added a simple filter to the suction line to prevent ingesting crap into the pump and built a handpiece from a BIC pen body.

Offline Mike Warren

• Supporter
    • Personal Website
Re: A Simple DIY Vacuum Pick & Place Hack
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 02:27:40 am »
I converted a fish pump 10 years ago and it's still working fine. I just reversed the valve rubbers so it sucks instead of blowing. Really cheap and easy.

Offline Orpheus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 12:25:50 am »
A Reynolds Handi-Vac (a phaser-looking hand held vacuum for their proprietary valved zipper bags) draws a surprising vacuum --- down to a few tenths of a psi end pressure. That's as good as perfect for suction applications. I don't know what they cost now (or if they've downrated its performance), but I grabbed a bunch at $8 when they first came out, just a few years ago.

I cut the tip off its small side-ported plastic outlet to make it end-ported, slip some polyethylene tubing over that, leading into a hole (and suitable fitting) in the lid of glass jar (to act as a "vacuum capacitor" for smoother output), with a second fitting in the jar lid as my vacuum "output". The set-up has proven itself quite versatile over the years.

The great thing about vacuum is that (unlike pneumatic/hydraulic pressure), it's self-limiting. You rarely have to worry about your fittings/vessels unless you need HIGH vacuum. Any food product jar normally sits indefinitely at (perfect vacuum + vapor pressure of water) so the few extra Pa of even a perfect vacuum wouldn't stress it appreciably.

No other food-sealer vac I've tried, whether wall- or battery-powered, has come close to The Reynolds' terminal vacuum, though wall powered units have higher throughput, which can be a big benefit if you don't need every last PSI, because (as I configure it) you have to suck all the air out of the jar ("charge the vacuum capacitor") at the start of each session (use a small jar!)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 12:30:19 am by Orpheus »

Offline JuKu

• Frequent Contributor
    • LitePlacer - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 08:00:11 am »
Also, what made a huge improvement to my setup was to get a vacuum relay (from a local aquarium shop) and a foot switch toggle. No stray vacuum (full release) and no hand movement when releasing.
http://www.liteplacer.com - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf