Author Topic: About growing fed up of wireless input sh*t!  (Read 6298 times)

Offline VinzCTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • See you later, oscillator.
About growing fed up of wireless input sh*t!
« on: June 01, 2018, 01:08:03 pm »
Foreword: this is a rant.

I've progressively grown fed up of those wireless keyboards and stuff — that said mainly keyboards, mice and combos. Fact is *all* the ones I've tried have failed miserably and without warning, just all at once they *all* stopped functioning. When they don't require changing the batteries every month (hmmm, Logitech?) they just stop working while I'm typing.

The latest one is a Trust wireless keyboard with trackball. I've tried Logitech, Medion, Trust... *all* (i.e. 100%) of them have failed after 6-12 months. Absolutely *none* have been reliable in the long or even medium run. And I do handle them with care all the time.

The ones I'm talking about are those that come with a USB dongle. I'll never ever be caught again buying those pieces of crap.

But I want to know: is it just me or is there really something very crappy about all those wireless input devices?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: About growing fed up of wireless input sh*t!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 01:12:28 pm »
I've been using wireless keyboard and mouse for about 3 years or more.  My first one was Logitech - and so is the second one - that I'm using at the moment.

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 01:16:03 pm »
Its a very mixed bag,

I ended up settling on a logitech K400r (trackpad stopped working, but I dont use it) and a microsoft wireless mouse 5000 (Its bundled keyboard and its replacement failed within 2 weeks)

So far the microsoft mouse I have had to pull down a few times simply to clean it to keep it going, things like hair getting in the scroll wheel. but I don't blame the device for needing a yearly cleanout, the fact I can easily pull it down to clean is far better.

The logitech keyboard, has just kept on going solid, Its a membrane keyboard, but key presses have a good standoff

Offline CopperCone

• Super Contributor
  • *knock knock*
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 01:49:20 pm »
I think its a security nightmare

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 02:16:05 pm »
I got an old Logitech G700 which you have to change battery in basically every day (it also had nickel in the scroll wheel which made it unusable).

I now use two newer Logitech mice (an M590 and a G602) which work well. I'm not sure how often I have to change battery but it's not often. I use NiMH batteries so always have a charged one ready when you need to replace it.

Don't like wireless keyboards because of the security risk.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 03:26:58 pm »
I hated my one and only wireless keyboard. It had right around 2-3 key rollover, and dropped out more times than California's students have dropped out of high school.

I am currently a Ducky One with MX Greens, which are absolutely dreams to use. The 80cN actuation force (and I believe 110cN of full depression force, but that's just a number that's in my head) is PERFECT. My fingers absolutely love it. I spent 100 bucks on it.

My mouse is just some cheap Chinese Redragon thing that was given to me as a gift. It lights up, has adjustable lights and has (barely) programmable extra buttons. The scroll wheel is annoying to press down, and has broken on another one I know of (doesn't bump as you move it anymore), but while it still works, it's usable.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 04:16:02 pm »
 For my desktop computer at home - I see no point in using wireless KB or mouse.  They sit on my desk, computer alongside it. And after going through 2 Logitech wireless mice, the first of which ran down a pair of AA batteries in less than a week, and the second replacement one (free - because the scroll wheel stopped working in the first one while still under warranty, so Logitech sent me a replacement, a different model because the one that failed was no longer produced), I went back to a wired mouse, and the current one (also Logitech) I've had for  or 7 years now.
 On my laptop - well, I had a nice Logitech wireless one, complete with the same fancy scroll wheel as my desktop one, the ones that are metal and you can have it either click or freewheel. That lasted all of 4 months before the left click stopped working. Supposedly an easy fix by putting a dab of CA is just the right spot to depress the tac switch inside, but the heck with that. It didn't have great battery life anyway - better than that first desktop wireless one, but not great like the old Microsoft wireless mouse I had. Since I was in a hurry (can;t STAND track pads, even the "high quality" ones), I picked up a cheapy wireless mouse at Walmart, I think this was under $14USD. That was 4 years ago, and while a couple of the slippery pads on the bottom have fallen off and been lost, it still works great. A pair of AAA batteries lasts for months, and the thing really works down to a low cutoff - I mentioned this mouse back when the Batteroo debacle was in full swing.  Once it stops working, no load (standard hi-z voltage setting) measurement with a multimeter shows like .8xx volts. The only downside of this long battery life is I usually completely forget about it and then when it does die, I don;t have any spares in my bag.

Offline BBBbbb

• Supporter
About growing fed up of wireless input sh*t!
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 04:37:01 pm »
I don’t see too much benefit of going wireless for my desktop. I have too many dead batteries piling in the “battery bucket” at home as it is, and mobility is not really an issue for me to create more waste.
For the laptops I usually buy one of those low end logitech mouses (M185 I think). Battery holds usually for more than 6 months, and the mouse lifetime is around 3-4 yrs, but they don’t undergo heavy usage.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 05:10:44 pm »
I see two or three nice Logitech Multimedia wireless mouse/keyboard combos that use the 'Unifying' receivers returned to me for E-Waste disposal every month.

I test every single one and have only found one faulty mouse (leaked batteries) and two faulty keyboards (liquid damaged), reinstalling the software and pairing them again fixes a multitude of problems.

Having said that, I still prefer a wired mouse and keyboard for myself.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 05:15:23 pm »
I agree. Got a Logitech M185 mouse here. The M185 crashes at least once a day and needs the battery removed to reset it. Does my head in, but not enough to do anything about it (yet).

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 05:19:41 pm »
I got an old Logitech G700 which you have to change battery in basically every day (it also had nickel in the scroll wheel which made it unusable).
G700 is a gaming mouse, hence short battery life. But it can be charged over microUSB cable and used as wired mouse as well. Basically you should plug the cable when not using it to charge.

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2018, 05:39:12 pm »
Logitech K360 keyboard, M317 mouse, Unify USB dongle.   Love them.  Change batteries in mouse more than keyboard, but I will deal with that until the plutonium versions come along.

Only thing about the keyboard that I didn't like was the flip-down plastic feet that break easily. I use it flat until the anti-gravity version is out of beta testing.  Of course, from what I hear, that will need to run on some power source other than alkaline batteries.

Offline dnwheeler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 07:05:48 pm »
I've been using the Microsoft Sculpt keyboard and mouse at home and work for the last few years. The batteries last for months (the separate keypad battery lasts at least 2 years), and are ergonomic (split keyboard, "more" vertical mouse). Also, the keyboard is the "fastest" I've ever used (i.e., I type faster on this keyboard than I have on any previous keyboard).

Offline TheWelly888

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 07:30:44 pm »
A few years ago I "liberated" a Genius wireless PC mouse and keyboard set from old medical equipment that was being scrapped at work. Judging by the plastic discolouration, the set was at least 10 years old at the time.

I gave the set to my Dad who was fed up of the cables attached to the mouse and keyboard and they have worked very well since then.
You can do anything with the right attitude and a hammer.

Offline BBBbbb

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 07:50:08 pm »
A few years ago I "liberated" a Genius wireless PC mouse and keyboard set from old medical equipment that was being scrapped at work. Judging by the plastic discolouration, the set was at least 10 years old at the time.

I gave the set to my Dad who was fed up of the cables attached to the mouse and keyboard and they have worked very well since then.
It could have easily been a few months old (e.g. replaced recently) but just exposed to UV lamps, common in ORs and auxiliary facilities.

Offline hans

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2018, 07:50:51 pm »
Years back I had a wireless desktop mice. It ate 2xAA batteries every 2 weeks or so. That's 1 pack of 4 batteries per month, which costs like 2-3 euro at a discount store. Easily 25 per year to use a freaking mice.

Though it was one of those LED versions, the newer mice I have used were all laser. I also had a wireless Logitech travel mice for about 3 years, but at one day suddenly stopped working and was unable to fix. The battery life was actually rocksolid on that one, I think it lasted for over a year on 1 AA battery.

I've also had a few wireless keyboards. However some have really shady reception, even if you're in front of the dongle. Since then I've gone back to wired stuff. For laptop I have a decent trackpad, or I bring a wired mice with me on the seldom occasions I need it.

I still use a K400 media keyboard from Logitech though because it's easy to use on the couch for HTPC. But it's really only used for like 10 clicks every evening.
Batteries on that keyboard is not much of a problem.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2018, 08:29:59 pm »
Years back I had a wireless desktop mice. It ate 2xAA batteries every 2 weeks or so. That's 1 pack of 4 batteries per month, which costs like 2-3 euro at a discount store. Easily 25 per year to use a freaking mice.
And what for rechargeable batteries are made?  |O

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2018, 08:32:16 pm »
I feel wireless is more of a marketting buzzword at this point.  Lot of things are wireless and have no reason to be, but when people see that something is wireless they go "ooo shiny!" and buy it.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2018, 08:51:17 pm »
I feel wireless is more of a marketting buzzword at this point.  Lot of things are wireless and have no reason to be, but when people see that something is wireless they go "ooo shiny!" and buy it.
I wouldn't ever buy wired mouse for my own use. Wire hanging from them just suck and often obstruct movement. Wired keyboard is more bearable but then I would not be able to remove it from my desk when I need more space.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2018, 09:44:18 pm »

For the most part, I think you're right. They do have uses however. For my desktop, a wired keyboard and mouse does just fine. It has worked for me for the past 25 years. I do use a Bluetooth keyboard for my media centre however.

Speaking of shitty wireless devices: I don't know what Apple were thinking when they designed the Magic Mouse 2. Not only did the "geniuses" place the charging port on the base of the mouse (so while it's charging, it cannot be used), they relocated the optical sensor from the centre to the top (leading) edge, so if you're using a mat, you essentially lose half of your vertical space and moving the mouse any further past the middle of your mouse mat causes the sensor to over-shoot the mat and stop working. But that's Apple for you.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2018, 10:03:31 pm »
Apple mice have always been fucking shit. And I’m being polite there. Going back right to the “oh fuck it’s a puck” mouse to today they’re all just horrid.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2018, 10:07:31 pm »
Going back right to the “oh fuck it’s a puck” mouse

:-DD

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2018, 10:12:53 pm »
I do not understand the need for wireless mice and keyboards for desktop machines. What wire clutter? Please.

I hate mice, can't work with them, so at work I have a Kensington Expert Mouse trackball that's gotta be 15 years old now. Wired, of course. The keyboard is a Lenovo standard wired thing, $9 at the local surplus place and way better than most new things (I hate hate hate a lot of the new keyboards that are basically laptop jobs, no feel, no key travel, and I can't hook my thumbs on the space bar). At home I have another Expert Mouse and an old MacAlly keyboard, again, real travel, real feel. Amazon had a sale awhile ago, so I bought another Expert Mouse as a spare.

We have a Mac mini under the TV for streaming and DVR and gaming use, so a bluetooth keyboard and mouse makes sense. Those are the small-size Apple keyboard (no numeric keypad) and the Magic Mouse. Since they don't get the sort of use a workstation keyboard and mouse get, the batteries last a few months, and they get replaced with rechargables.

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2018, 10:14:19 pm »
I’ve got a Logitech K750 wireless keyboard that has solar cells across the top. Sits in the loungeroom on the coffee table for when we want to use Netflix or YouTube stuff. Had it for 5 years and zero problems. Must have been lucky?

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2018, 11:55:48 pm »
I tried a wireless mouse back in 2005 or so. It was okay but went through batteries fast. When I hooked up a computer to the living room TV, I bought a wireless combo for that. I needed to play games on that setup, so the mouse and keyboard have to work correctly all the time. It didn't work too well though, too much tendency to skip and ignore input, so I scrapped that idea.

I bought a cheap laptop some years ago at Walmart and a small wireless mouse to go with it, mainly because touchpads suck. That mouse works fine, maybe because it never gets more than a foot away from the receiver and there's never any obstruction. But I never use the laptop, because I don't really travel any more.

I still have all of them I think. Now that I have more rechargeable batteries than I know what to do with, maybe I'll dig them out and give them another try. I need to see if the batteries in the laptop still work anyway.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf