Author Topic: Advice on a new multimeter  (Read 3229 times)

Offline WebserferTopic starter

Advice on a new multimeter
« on: November 25, 2015, 10:11:17 pm »
So been watching the EEV blog YouTube videos and this seems like the best place to get advice. I'm looking to buy a new multi meter, recently found out the one I grew up with and have been using for 5-7years is a cheapy one. Like the $4 you find on ebay just older, has been rather reliable but I cant be sure of its accuracy anymore. I'm not an electrician but I do mess around with lithium batteries and other stuff that would need a good level of accuracy.

So im looking for a meter that I can trust, reliable brand and will last longer than my cell phone.
I could go up to maybe $100aud but but that's at the very high point of my budget and I'd only like to spend that much if the jump in price is worth it.
If it's much cheaper just for a slight quality drop id take that.

So, who can help me out here?

Cheers.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Advice on a new multimeter
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 10:14:24 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Have you seen this thread?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/multimeter-spreadsheet/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline daybyter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 10:59:53 pm »
Uni-t 61e ?

Offline FireFlower

• Regular Contributor
  • Wish had a cabin in Lappland
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 12:01:33 am »
Yeah I would say Uni-T UT61E is the best meter within your budget.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 12:53:39 am »
Although I am not a big fan of Uni-t meters and I have a couple this particular meter does get some good reviews as others have recommended, a local search reveals that this mob linked below in South Australia is currently clearing them out for $55.00 AUD which is about the cheapest that I could find them.

For testing batteries and such a meter with at least min/max or preferably a logging capability would be my choice, the UT-61E does have PC connectivity so that may be beneficial for your application, I don't own this meter nor am I affiliated with the linked seller. 

http://www.goodkit.com.au/ut-61e-uni-t-true-rms-multimeter

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 12:54:28 am »
Dave Jones also has a new Brymen that will be released soon. No idea of the price but from what Dave implies it could be in your price range. The UT61E is good buy especially if you can get the GS version. The GS version has better input protection.

There are other options like the Amprobe AM-510 and the Uni-T UT139C.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 02:02:16 am »
Although I am not a big fan of Uni-t meters and I have a couple this particular meter does get some good reviews as others have recommended, a local search reveals that this mob linked below in South Australia is currently clearing them out for $55.00 AUD which is about the cheapest that I could find them.

Probably unbeatable in that price bracket.

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 05:03:18 am »
We got a couple of the Extech 430's I believe as just knock around ones in the shop. We are not very happy with them. The selector switches are hit and miss and there is just a general cheapness about them. The probe sockets have needed fixing several times. I have since bought some used 70 series Fluke meters on ebay and have those around for non critical measurements. I got them all for under $60 in various conditions and the only one I had to "FIX" was to add a layer or two of masking tape to the LCD bezel because the zebra strip had become a little loose. They are not true RMS and they were only single current range selection, 300ma and 10A sockets, but they are reliable. The Fluke 27 models are also great. They add the microamp scale as well and can be had for very reasonable prices. Once again the only "FIX" I have ever had to do was the LCD tape trick. And again be advised the 27 is not a True RMS meter.
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Offline FireFlower

• Regular Contributor
  • Wish had a cabin in Lappland
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 05:50:06 am »
Hmm have to say UT61E looks very nice but it sure is slow when I have got used to nice and fast Metrahits and flukes but hmmm maybe I buy one myself to replace my good'ld deadly Mastech my-64 :P

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 06:58:13 am »
Hmm have to say UT61E looks very nice but it sure is slow when I have got used to nice and fast Metrahits and flukes but hmmm maybe I buy one myself to replace my good'ld deadly Mastech my-64 :P

But it's a completely different price range  ;)

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 04:54:28 pm »
So been watching the EEV blog YouTube videos and this seems like the best place to get advice. I'm looking to buy a new multi meter, recently found out the one I grew up with and have been using for 5-7years is a cheapy one. Like the $4 you find on ebay just older, has been rather reliable but I cant be sure of its accuracy anymore. I'm not an electrician but I do mess around with lithium batteries and other stuff that would need a good level of accuracy.

So im looking for a meter that I can trust, reliable brand and will last longer than my cell phone.
I could go up to maybe $100aud but but that's at the very high point of my budget and I'd only like to spend that much if the jump in price is worth it.
If it's much cheaper just for a slight quality drop id take that.

So, who can help me out here?

Cheers.

If you have been able to use a $4 meter for this many years with no problems and you are happy with it, you may just want to check it against another friends meter and make sure it's still accurate enough for your needs.    Maybe spend another $4 and get a second one?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf