Author Topic: Advice on cheap Linux computer for my kids  (Read 21518 times)

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
Re: Advice on cheap Linux computer for my kids
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2017, 06:49:47 am »
Just get a used Dell D620 on ebay for cheap ($40 if you're paitent), and throw ubuntu on it. No need for the peripherals, and they were designed to be robust.

I'm sorry, but anything not server grade with a Dell or HP logo on it is NOT designed to be robust, full stop.

They are designed to be cheap, easy to replace, and to be just thrown in an office somewhere for somebody to use it.

Generally almost anything made by Dell, Lenovo, HP(don't have much experience using there business class notebooks) are going to be rather reliable. Provided that they were not abused.
Heck my pos* Inspiron 1525 lasted 6 years without any problems, and It did not live a pampered life.
* The hinge locked up twice. First time (Left hinge) broke the screen bezel, when I tried opening it up. Then the second time did even worse(right hinge) haven't looked into fixing it yet. That lappy will be the gpib machine  >:D .
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline firehopper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2017, 08:17:09 am »
another option is look to see if you have a local freecycle list you can join and watch, some nice stuff gets given away occasionally on those. I got a nice parallax propeller dev board and a old digital/analog trainer case. freecycle.org I do believe is the url

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2017, 03:03:11 pm »
Pretty much any laptop from the last ten years will run Ubuntu MATE quite happily.

K.I.S.S.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2017, 03:45:53 pm »
Just get a used Dell D620 on ebay for cheap ($40 if you're paitent), and throw ubuntu on it. No need for the peripherals, and they were designed to be robust.

I'm sorry, but anything not server grade with a Dell or HP logo on it is NOT designed to be robust, full stop.

They are designed to be cheap, easy to replace, and to be just thrown in an office somewhere for somebody to use it.
I can vouch for business laptops from Dell are quite good. However, I would stay away from D620/D630 due to the Nvidia graphics chip failure. I had both at work and both had to have their motherboards replaced twice.

Otherwise they were great laptops. Nowadays I use a D6520 and it is quite a laptop. The family D642x/652x and D643x/653x are quite good computers.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline shteii01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2017, 04:55:02 pm »
My only issue with off lease business laptops is the 14" screen.  If it has 14" screen, I will never buy one.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2017, 05:13:01 pm »

That is true for their consumer grade PCs but not for their 'for business' machines. They have to be robust (and even more robust than a server which usually sits in a relatively dust free airconditioned room) because replacing a PC or loss of production due to crashes increases the cost of ownership. The price for these kind if machines is kept low by not having a fancy graphics & audio card, clever design of the housing so assembly is cheap and using slightly older technology.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2017, 05:34:39 pm »
My only issue with off lease business laptops is the 14" screen.  If it has 14" screen, I will never buy one.

I sit all day in front of a 12" screen. It's not how big it is but what you do with it :)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2017, 05:52:11 pm »

14" is a bit too big for a laptop in my opinion. My personal laptop has a 12.5" 1080p screen and I find that just about perfect. On my desktop I have a nice big 24" monitor which is great but I don't have to lug it around or slip it in a backpack.

Offline skylinrcr01

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2017, 06:34:35 pm »
As others have said, Dell has pretty crap consumer stuff, aside from the XPS13. Their business stuff is pretty decent though, as is HPs. The only trouble I've had with older Dell business laptops have been failling HDDs, which comes with age, so not abnormal.

Offline edyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2017, 07:46:54 pm »
Thanks for all the advice!  :-+  I really appreciate it. I will look into getting a desktop PC for now, and if it has Windows preferably already on it I can install a dual-boot Ubuntu partition. That way I don't "force" the kids into Linux-only land, but they will have an option to use Windows when need be.

With respect to pricing, I know there are bargains to be found... but the simplest option for me may be to shell out $70-100 and have a business-class machine (like a Lenovo, etc) from a local refurbisher who has completely wiped the machine and put a clean Win7 installation on it, ready to go and tested. I realize I could find better deals by looking at local listings/personal sales, but I don't have the time to drive around and take a chance on what I'm getting (unless it is free).

Unfortunately, being here in Toronto, by the time I factor in cost for shipping anything from the USA that heavy (like a $30-50 US machine with $20-30 shipping), it ends up costing the same or more to buy anything from eBay. So my best option is finding local refurbishers who list on eBay or Craigslist, contact them directly and just drive to their store for local pickup.

The main issue here was not so much the cost, but whether to consider: 
- Raspberry Pi
- Barebones computer
- Laptop
- Chromebook
- Desktop PC
(especially given my kids current needs and since I already have VGA monitor/mouse/keyboard).

After all things considered, the desktop PC seems like the best choice even for $100 budget.
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2017, 09:36:58 pm »
You could try an Asus Tinker board much like a raspberry Pi but twice the power and only a bit more expensive.

Offline shteii01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2017, 10:49:04 pm »
I have netbook too, 11 or 12" if I recall correctly.  That is why I will not waste my money for the in between sizes.  I either want 17" on laptop or I will take the work home and do it on pc in comfort.

I sit all day in front of a 12" screen. It's not how big it is but what you do with it :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 10:51:57 pm by shteii01 »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2017, 12:40:30 am »
My daily driver is a Lenovo X250, a small notebook with a core i7 and a 1080p screen. It's a wonderful machine for the most part although the touchpad is awful. Unfortunately these horrid gigantic "clickpads" without physical buttons at the bottom and so big that I'm constantly bumping it with my palms have spread like cancer. This machine with the nice little touchpad from my old X100e would be a dream.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2017, 01:28:59 am »
Personally I absolutely can't stand laptops. They are slow, hot, and expensive. If I need to take my computing on the go, I would get an Android tablet, or just don't go anywhere.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2017, 05:23:05 am »
I prefer to use a desktop in general, but a laptop is nice when I want to sit on the couch. I've played with Android and iOS tablets and never really found a good use for them, they won't do 90% of what I use my computers for. Can't do PCB layouts on a tablet, can't do FPGA development on a tablet, can't transcode videos on a tablet, can't run virtual machines on a tablet, can't run DosBox to play old games. I can do email or use forums like this one if I feel like being a masochist but a laptop with a keyboard is infinitely more pleasant to use.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2017, 06:24:52 am »
There actually is a port of DOSbox for Android. Old games made do with so little horsepower that the overhead of emulation is no big deal nowadays. But I do see the future being "2 in 1" devices. Hopefully they'll come out with an affordable one with good pen input.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2017, 02:21:05 pm »
There actually is a port of DOSbox for Android. Old games made do with so little horsepower that the overhead of emulation is no big deal nowadays. But I do see the future being "2 in 1" devices. Hopefully they'll come out with an affordable one with good pen input.

The current PC market is leaning towards portable devices for low power business use, with high end desktop PCs being for gaming.

And I have a very special place in my life for Emulation. It is good if you want to no hassle play a game without getting away from your desk, but there is no substitute for a good 486 or Pentium machine for DOS gaming.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2017, 04:18:36 pm »
My kids and my wife and I all 4 have laptops.  I buy the 'refurbished' Dell Latitudes for $200-$250 each.

For a desktop my son saved up his $ for one.  I took him to a local pc shop and let him pick out a low cost case, MB, cpu, etc.  I helped him pick out what parts he needs and walked him through putting it all together.  Was a good learning experience. 

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2017, 02:56:30 am »
The 2-in-1 concept has so far been a big failure failure despite massive effort being put into developing and pushing these things. Microsoft wrote off hundreds of millions of dollars worth of unsold Surface devices and of the few people I know who have 2-in-1 computers they are used almost exclusively in laptop mode. It's the Spork of computers, a compromise that makes it a lousy tablet *and* a lousy laptop. IMHO it makes a lot more sense to have a laptop and/or a desktop and a tablet, each device optimized for what it is. Hardware is cheap enough now that this is not a big deal. You can easily slip a tablet into the storage pouch of a laptop bag so it's not like you have to lug around an armload of equipment.

Offline edyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2017, 05:30:22 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions. I found a local refurbisher that sells on eBay/Craigslist but offers local pickup to avoid shipping charges. Unfortunately I still need to deal with the 13% tax in Ontario. Here are my choices, from cheapest to most costly depending on my budget (pre-tax):

1. $74 = Lenovo ThinkCentre M58p 6137 Business Small Form Factor Computer Core2Duo 3.0GHz, 4G, 160G, DVD, Windows 10 Home.
Model: SFF 6137 C2D 3.0G/4G/160G/DVD/W10H.
MFT SKU: 6137AU8 Condition: refurbished Grade A. C2D/E8400/3.0G/DDR III/4G/SATA/160G/DVD/W10H MAR/BLACK

2. $124 = Dell OptiPlex GX755 mini-tower computer QuadCore 2.4GHz, 4G, 250G, DVDRW, Windows 10 Home.
Model: TW GX755 QC 2.4G/4G/250G/RW/W10H.
SKU: 392537 Condition: refurbished Grade A. QC/Q660/2.4G/DDR II/4G/SATA/250G/DVDRW/W10H MAR/BLACK
Stock: 1

3. $137 = Dell Precision T3400 Workstation. Model: TW Pre T3400.
SKU: 390277 MFT SKU: DELDKM88 Condition: refurbished Grade A. C2D/E8400/3.0G/8G/SATA/160G/DVD/TOWER/W10H MAR

4. $149 = LENOVO ThinkStation S20 4105 TW.
Model: TW 4105. SKU: 364139 MFT SKU: 4105R9F Condition: refurbished Grade A. QUADXEON/W3550/3.06G/DDR III/8G/SATA/250G/DVDRW/W10P MAR/Black

5. $162 = Lenovo ThinkCentre M90 3245 Small Form Factor i3 3.2GHz, 4G, 250G, DVDRW, Windows 10 Professional.
Model: SFF 3245 i3 3.2G/4G/250G/RW/W10P
SKU: 350455 Condition: refurbished Grade A. I3/3.2G/DDR III/4G/SATA/250G/DVDRW/W10P MAR/Black

6. $162 = Lenovo ThinkCentre M90p 3853 Ultra Small Form Factor USFF i5 3.2GHz, 4G, 250G, DVDRW, Windows 10 Professional.
Model: USFF 3853 i5 3.2G/4G/250G/RW/W10P.
SKU: 348736 MFT SKU: 3853RN9 Condition: refurbished Grade A. I5/650/3.2G/DDR III/4G/SATA/250G/DVDRW/WIN10P MAR/BLACK

Any thoughts, comments? Are these prices ok? I just want to split up the primary Windows partition and install some version of Ubuntu, and plug in a USB WiFi dongle so they can access the internet. I assume all of these desktops have VGA output (or is HDMI output only these days)? If the $74 machine is good enough, I'll just get that, unless you think it's not worth the money and I would get better value from the other machines listed.  Thanks for your help!
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2017, 05:33:34 pm »
#1 is more than sufficient for your needs. That will have VGA or I'm a donkey's uncle.

For what they want (Light web browsing/youtube, scratch, basic open/libreoffice work) that will do perfectly fine.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2017, 06:11:03 pm »
Enforcing a Linux only policy on kids seems to me a similar thing as enforcing kids to be vegan (sorry if this sounds too harsh). And no, I have nothing against Linux and I do use it regularily.
That comment made me laugh.

So if you give them a machine with Windows or Mac OS on, then you could say you're forcing Windows or Mac OS on them.

Nonsense. There's nothing wrong with giving your children a Linux PC. There will be plenty of opportunities for them to learn to use Windows at school and nothing was said about forbidding them from using other computers. Being exposed to different software and platforms is a good thing.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2017, 06:47:07 pm »
Enforcing a Linux only policy on kids seems to me a similar thing as enforcing kids to be vegan (sorry if this sounds too harsh). And no, I have nothing against Linux and I do use it regularily.
That comment made me laugh.

So if you give them a machine with Windows or Mac OS on, then you could say you're forcing Windows or Mac OS on them.

Nonsense. There's nothing wrong with giving your children a Linux PC. There will be plenty of opportunities for them to learn to use Windows at school and nothing was said about forbidding them from using other computers. Being exposed to different software and platforms is a good thing.

If they want Linux or Mac and you mandate they run Windows then yes that is forcing it on them. Doesn't really matter though, give them what you want to support and they can use what you give them. If they want something else, they'll have an opportunity eventually to earn their own money and buy whatever system they desire.

It's just a computer, it's not a major life decision. It's pretty easy to change from one OS to another at any point. Those refurbished systems will likely have a Windows 7 license sticker on them providing the option to run that, or Linux of course is free to install on anything. You can even install both and dual boot. Heck even MacOS can be installed on generic PCs provided they have compatible hardware.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2017, 08:06:45 pm »
Our schools mandate chromebooks, so Linux/win/mac doesn't matter.

Depending one the kids age and other factors they might not even know what windows only tools they are missing.  There are plenty of games, minecraft, 0 A.D. simutrans, etc.  They will get used to Linre/openOffice then wonder why Excel crashes all the time when they get in front of a windows PC.

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2017, 08:09:37 pm »

It's just a computer, it's not a major life decision.

True. Really it comes down to where you incur the frustration:

Linux: you have to mess around to get everything working to start with.

Windows: you have to mess around to get everything working again a couple of weeks after you install it.

MacOS: you have to go to the Retard Bar in an Apple store or deal with someone who is clearly on an MDMA drip on the phone if they mess it up.

ChromeOS: messing is forbidden unless you are Google. All bow before the monolith.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf