Author Topic: Agilent meters...What's happening  (Read 7662 times)

Offline FreighternutTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Agilent meters...What's happening
« on: September 28, 2011, 11:49:40 pm »
Hi,

I have been looking to expand my multimeter range and have been looking closely at the Agilent 34405A bench meter and the U1272a hand held.

I have noticed a couple of strange supply situations on these. Firstly RS (New Zealand) has withdrawn the U1272a from sale and secondly Tequipment have a clearance sale on the 34405a.

I am wondering if there is any significance in these or whether they are just a couple of companies adjusting stock levels.

Anybody heard anything on the grapevine re supply of these two meters?

Thanks...
Save the earth - Travel the world by Container Ship! Almost zero carbon foot print

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Agilent meters...What's happening
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 11:54:06 pm »
I haven't heard anything.
The U1272A is new design they are pushing hard, so I'd be very surprised if it was replaced any time soon.

Dave.

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 12:02:33 pm »
I have noticed a couple of strange supply situations on these. Firstly RS (New Zealand) has withdrawn the U1272a from sale

Probably they go mad , because its on heavy discount in USA, offered by true Agilent partners.  :)
And RS is not one of them.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 12:04:14 pm by Kiriakos-GR »

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 02:01:48 pm »
RS is a true Agilent partner.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 02:28:55 pm »
1272a has held up very well to my abuse, and my units came with the original defective firmware, that eevblog discusses here.

After some months of continuous use, I really like its functionality, but my old eyes have trouble with the LCD without backlighting, or strong ambient light.  Its smaller than the 1252a, which is perfect, while the Fluke 87V is very readable.

My guess: after the bug was reported, there was time it wasn't available in the US via Amazon, this has since past.  It could be they have reach NZ and are fixing the firmware released with the shipped models, so no units are available temporarily.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Semantics

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 03:30:01 pm »
I think they are just trying to push away the A models to focus on the B models. As I understand it, they're spec'd the same except they are orange. Which is a shame because I really like the blue/grey stormy night color theme.

Offline grenert

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 05:43:42 pm »
For the 125X models, the A versions come with more accessories than the B versions.

Offline Lawsen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 06:49:22 pm »
The Agilent-34405A is a scaled down derivative of the original HP-34401A 6.5 digits bench top or table top multimeter.  HP at Loveland, Colorado designed this HP-34401A bench top, before Agilent was formed, when HP have no business interest in test and measurement electronics.  They wanted to specialize in consumer computers and Compaq products and commercial blade servers computers and printers.  Agilent is the only company left that is original HP product, an audio frequency range signal generator in a bread box like enclosure, the HP-model 200CD, 5 Hz to 600 kHz (Kc/s).  This high frequency audio signal generator remained in production from 1952 to 1985, 33 years in production and people still ordered them.   I first saw one at my first science work place, a microwave spectrometry electron spin resonance work shop, a matter exploring work shop.  I never asked why my professor has one on her shelf among other test and measurement instruments and I have my own instruments kept there at the time, too.  I have found a large instrument rack and enclosure and installed it there.  I get to learn my calculus, experienced how to build an exploring workshop, and received my first large pay check, never repeated again after wards.  I can never achieve the income of a research assistance, after graduation. 

http://www.hpmemory.org/wa_pages/wall_a_page_01.htm

http://www.hpmemory.org/wb_pages/wall_b_page_10c.htm

The HP code name for the development of the HP-34401A is Alf.  It was designed and made in Loveland, Colorado, US.A.  The Agilent 34405A is a less by one digit than the original 34401A.  The Agilent 34405A is a 5.5 digits.  It costs the same as a second hand HP-34401A from E Bay around $750.00 USD.  You will get one less digit, thus your multimeter's accuracy suffers at +/- 0.03% and you will gain a capacitance meter function that is absent in the original HP-34401A.  There were never any battery options for these multimeters.  The classic Fluke 8012A has a battery option and is enjoyed by another member of this blog, he likes his.  The vacuum fluorescent display uses too much electricity power to be battery powered.  The readings per second is less with the Agilent 34405A at 70 readings per second, not the HP-34401A's 1000 readings per second.  I enjoy the HP-34401A very much.  If you could purchase any of these, you will not be disappointed for a table top, indoor use multimeter to explore, repair, or just enjoy hobby to test your creations and curiosities.  Agilent in recent years made several derivatives from the original Alf project 34401A to match the needs of various customers.  It competes very well with the dual vacuum fluorescent display Fluke 45.  The Fluke 45 has a battery option.  The Fluke 45 is discontinued.  Fluke felt the capabilities for 4.5 digits and 5.5 digits are done better with a hand held multimeter. 

http://www.fluke.com/fluke/usen/bench-instruments/bench-multimeters/fluke-45.htm?PID=56082

There are no plans for Agilent to discontinued their rugged, water resistant Agilent U1272A.  The U1272A is more rugged than the U1253B in organoLED version.  A member on this blog has a great review and a taken the covers off view of the inside of the U1252B a basic read able in bright sun light LCD version of the U1253B on this blog.  Dave Jones has done a review on the older model, which is still available, the organoLED U1253A in blue color, instead of orange color.  These are all 7 readings per second.

None of them are being discontinued at the present.  You might see discounts from over stocked, promotion at your location, or just a sluggish economy global as the U.S.A. is in the middle of a mild recession, a second one. 

http://www.home.agilent.com/agilent/product.jspx?nid=-536902435.0.00&lc=eng&cc=US

Conclusion, nothing is happening, just over stocked multimeters or slow economy for electronic test and measurement stuff.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 07:13:42 pm by Lawsen »

Offline zaoka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 07:54:00 pm »
Other than dark display and "cheap feel" when using rotary switch I really love my U1272!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 12:47:59 am »
I think they are just trying to push away the A models to focus on the B models. As I understand it, they're spec'd the same except they are orange. Which is a shame because I really like the blue/grey stormy night color theme.

Someone emailed me about a story that their company purchased large numbers of the A model when they first came out and had a few major problems with long term drift/calibration, which Agilent would not admit too. And that it was magically fixed it in the B model.
I have no idea if there is any substance to that story though, so take it with a grain of salt I think.

Dave.

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 01:05:17 am »
Other than dark display and "cheap feel" when using rotary switch I really love my U1272!

The new Fluke 87-5/EUR (2011 ver.)  looks to come with a darker display too.
About the rotary switch, I do not have any complain .
Probably due the fact that I had No-autorange DMM for 22 years , and I was always careful when using it.
The Fluke 28II and 87-5 haves less positions on the range switch, than the Agilent,
and so the Agilent has more narrow stepping.

About turning it  off , yes you have to double check , but even if you did not, and get at the Z-Low mode,
it will sleep by it self in few minutes.
The adjustable sleep timers is something that I really love on it.

Soon I will add few lines on my main review , something like : Impressions after living with it for few months. ;)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 03:52:51 pm by Kiriakos-GR »

Offline FreighternutTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 11:58:09 pm »
Thanks guys, very helpfull!

I will likely buy both of these (34405a Bench and U1272a Handheld) as I have a need for both style of instruments.

I was just a bit concerned that something new might be on the horizon and I hate buying something at the end of run. Especially when the new
model has some really attractive feature that I must have.

Many thanks again for your input.
Save the earth - Travel the world by Container Ship! Almost zero carbon foot print

Offline Achilles

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 08:10:19 am »
I don't think sth. changes there in next time. There may be a 1272b when all Agilents are getting a green color or so ;) Just buy one. I just ordered a 1253B, too.
If it fits your needs it's great, but if you look exited for a newer relase with more features you "must have" have a look for another meter ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf