Author Topic: All Radio Shacks closing in America  (Read 9539 times)

Offline netdudeuk

• Frequent Contributor
Re: All Radio Shacks closing in America
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2017, 06:40:34 pm »
The difference between a physical store and the net is the browsing aspect of a store is good for introducing people to new things in an immediate, experiential way. The best web sites - and especially communities like this forum, and videos like Dave's capture that, and take it farther, so for us, we lose much less, and gain more that we didn't have before - with the Internet.
If he understood business then he'd known what kind of future is ahead.

Yes, he has no idea about business  :-DD

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2017, 07:27:20 pm »
I know some people might consider this sacrilege, but it's about time they died! Nostalgia aside they've been crap for at least the last 10 years for anything.
Despite I understand their stores and products lost the appeal of older times, in my opinion I don't think this is a great way to put it; real people are losing their jobs...

The difference between a physical store and the net is the browsing aspect of a store is good for introducing people to new things in an immediate, experiential way. The best web sites - and especially communities like this forum, and videos like Dave's capture that, and take it farther, so for us, we lose much less, and gain more that we didn't have before - with the Internet.

However, for the average person who does not make an effort to get exposure to electronics as a knowledge domain in a general way, a source of potential exposure to the hobby vanishes.
The internet brings knowledge from previously unreachable places and unsuspecting sources (hopefully most of the times), but there is something different about the immersive experience of entering into a store and physically exploring the multitude of "trinkets and parts" bags, tools, etc. Several of my childhood friends got engaged in electronics after trips to the store with me.

So what we really need to get people interested in it, is for (very basic and functional) electronics and computer science to be taught in schools as one of the physical sciences, perhaps even in grammar schools.

I think also that in high schools, they also should teach basic database competency and the very basics of how the web and Internet work. (and how to tie them together) That would make it possible for kids to do science if they had an idea they wanted to explore.
Schools in my region never had anything of sorts; our parents were quite engaged in feeding our curiosity with challenges and resources. This worked for both myself and the field of electronics and for my brother and his interest in biology.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2017, 08:24:09 pm »
If he understood business then he'd known what kind of future is ahead. But then again even Bill Gates thought internet was going to be nothing more than a short lived hype.

He certainly understands bankruptcy, having been through it five or six times. :-DD

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2017, 09:14:26 pm »
I know some people might consider this sacrilege, but it's about time they died! Nostalgia aside they've been crap for at least the last 10 years for anything.
Despite I understand their stores and products lost the appeal of older times, in my opinion I don't think this is a great way to put it; real people are losing their jobs...
Yeah, I still feel really sorry for people who shuffle coal into steam locomotives for a living. The world moves on and so should people.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2017, 10:06:31 pm »
Yeah, I still feel really sorry for people who shuffle coal into steam locomotives for a living. The world moves on and so should people.
Yeah, right. Easy to move on if you are not close to retirement age and/or compatible employment opportunities around you are plentiful...
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Quarlo Klobrigney

• Frequent Contributor
  • This Space For Rent
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2017, 01:02:25 am »
Code: [Select]
Public Function
If
    Buggy whips & rug beaters & wagon wheels & magic lanterns & Radio Shack _
    (surely they'll come back!) = False, then
    Build a dang space fleet now!
    'Nostalgia is OK, but there's a new frontier.
    'It can't be built with carbon comp resistors, neon lamps, stone knives or bearskins.
EndIf
Voltage does not flow, nor does voltage go.

Offline zeqing

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2017, 04:10:59 am »
i know seeedstudio made more than 20 milions dollars business with Radioshack in 2012~2013, and actually the radio shake encounters serious problems in 2014 but it went back in 2015, and seeedstuio made more than 30 millions dollars with them that year... wish seeedstudio do not risk too much on this.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf