Author Topic: Amazon emails disappear - How do they do it?  (Read 10324 times)

Offline ez24Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
Amazon emails disappear - How do they do it?
« on: May 26, 2016, 05:03:08 am »
Little background:

I bought something on Amazon and it did not fit (a ring for a rifle scope ) and I left a 1 star rating because the ad was wrong.  The seller contacted me and confessed they did not know what they were selling.  I helped them re-write their ad and deleted my review.

They contacted me via Amazon about this.  Well anyway there were many emails between us because I was helping them with their ad, and the emails were getting long.  I highlighted some old text to trim the email and hit delete, and immediately I was reading my next email in my inbox.  I did not know what happened.  Well I had enough emails I tried again and again. 

The last one I just highlighted one word and hit delete and the email was gone.  No trace of it, not in Trash not in Spam, no where on my computer.  It completely disappeared.  When I hit the delete key, immediately I read the next email.

My god what is next, an electrical shock, swap team at the door (oh shit I hear a helicopter overhead).  I just cannot believe this kind of control over my computer.  Can anyone else had this happen or can try this out?

Any ideas on how to stop this?

Edit - I use Yahoo and I did not delete the email - it was automatically deleted without my control

« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 05:20:13 am by ez24 »
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Dago

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronics blog about whatever I happen to build!
Re: Amazon emails disappear - How do they do it?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 05:17:56 am »

Don't delete your emails?
Come and check my projects at http://www.dgkelectronics.com ! I also tweet as https://twitter.com/DGKelectronics

Offline ez24Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 05:23:29 am »

I am not deleting them - Amazon is.  I do not want them to be deleted.  They just disappear - no warning, no message nothing, they just disappear.  How is this possible?
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Nerull

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 05:28:26 am »
Is this a troll? Do you not know what the delete key does?

Offline AndreasF

• Frequent Contributor
    • mind-dump.net
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 06:34:21 am »
I highlighted some old text to trim the email and hit delete,...

The last one I just highlighted one word and hit delete and the email was gone.  ...

When I hit the delete key, immediately I read the next email.

Not sure what this has to do with Amazon. Granted, it could be a bug with Yahoo (especially if they don't end up in the trash folder), but then it shouldn't be specific to Amazon emails.
my random ramblings mind-dump.net

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 09:46:39 am »
I am not deleting them - Amazon is.  I do not want them to be deleted.  They just disappear - no warning, no message nothing, they just disappear.  How is this possible?

It's not possible. I think that's the point most users here are making. Either you're hitting a hotkey to archive or delete them or Yahoo Mail (not having used it before, so I'm just guessing) just "assumes" you want to do something with that message and "takes care of it for you".

Amazon doesn't have access to your e-mails. There is no team of crackers at Amazon that go around wiping evidence. Worst case scenario is your computer is infected with a virus/malware and something else is doing the deleting for you, or, (more likely) it's happening because of some "feature" of YMail.

I would first check your keyboard isn't faulty and you're unknowingly hitting SHIFT or CTRL + DELETE instead due to a stuck key.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 09:48:22 am by Halcyon »

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 09:59:21 am »
Little background:

I bought something on Amazon and it did not fit (a ring for a rifle scope ) and I left a 1 star rating because the ad was wrong.  The seller contacted me and confessed they did not know what they were selling.  I helped them re-write their ad and deleted my review.

They contacted me via Amazon about this.  Well anyway there were many emails between us because I was helping them with their ad, and the emails were getting long.  I highlighted some old text to trim the email and hit delete, and immediately I was reading my next email in my inbox.  I did not know what happened.  Well I had enough emails I tried again and again. 

The last one I just highlighted one word and hit delete and the email was gone.  No trace of it, not in Trash not in Spam, no where on my computer.  It completely disappeared.  When I hit the delete key, immediately I read the next email.

My god what is next, an electrical shock, swap team at the door (oh shit I hear a helicopter overhead).  I just cannot believe this kind of control over my computer.  Can anyone else had this happen or can try this out?

Edit - I use Yahoo and I did not delete the email - it was automatically deleted without my control

My understanding is you CAN'T edit emails, which have been sent to you.

If you highlight some text in it and hit delete, it DELETES the email (Yahoo).

I just tried it, it says:

Delete Message
Are you sure you want to permanently delete the selected message?
OK Cancel

You may have pop ups blocked and/or changed the settings (options) in yahoo to just delete emails, WITHOUT yes/no confirmation.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 01:04:02 pm »
Were you trying to edit an email you received, not making a reply and editing the reply, but actually trying to delete parts of an email in your inbox?

The holes in othrwise smart people's knowledge is often quite surprising.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 01:18:55 pm »

You made my day, conspiracy!!!
How do they do it?
With your own hands, mind control  :-DD

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 02:17:51 pm »
It is called the 'Cloud'. They are there one minute and gone the next.

Offline Farley

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 02:23:15 pm »
The emails you deleted should be in your Yahoo Mail "Trash" folder. You can move them back to the inbox.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 03:22:07 pm »

The following users thanked this post: Cyberdragon

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 04:00:56 pm »
So...you had an email in your inbox selected, you hit the delete key, the email was deleted, and you think Amazon did it?

The following users thanked this post: Cyberdragon, sokoloff

Offline XOIIO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 04:11:55 pm »
These comments are really cheering my morning up.

This comes to mind:

https://youtu.be/zADUIwNwglM?t=1m30s

LOL

Offline 71ga

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2019, 08:04:12 am »
THIS happened to me as well. I have Gmail and I always sort electronic PDF bills to the folder "e-bills". Well when I looked at the folder today I noticed there ain't a trace of emails from my purchases from Amazon! All gone! All guarantees gone. E-bay bills are still there, Thomann bills are all there... This is a big time fraud from Amazon! Maybee they are paying Google & other providers to delete their e-mails in order to save money from returns... Could someone check this?

Also e-mails can be HTML formated and I am not sure, but is it possible to set an expiry date somehow?

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2019, 08:52:50 am »
Try to use a local Email client and store your email on C:.

I still do not believe it is happening.

Reading this makes me happy since I switched to FastMail.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2019, 01:18:08 pm »
Expiring emails just send you a link to a page where the email is kept, they do not send you the actual email. That page can be deleted at any time but you will still have the email you received with the link. Your side has to delete that. Nobody can delete an email from my side over the internet. Only I can do that.

That is one reason I keep my stuff in my computer. There is no "cloud"; there is only computers you have control over and computers that are controlled by others. I prefer to keep my things under my control.

If anyone would send me that type of email I would never get to read it at all. My email client would not download it and I would not even try.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2019, 06:12:18 pm »
EDIT:

I misunderstood the original post.  Reply (quoted below) doesn't below here, considered it deleted.

I started a new thread instead so as not to hijack someone else's discussion

Rick

It happens to me also - email from AliExpress has been missing; Ordered Aug 8 (multiple), Aug 13, and today Aug 14 - normally I would receive order confirmation email and payment email for each order, but none came for those three days.
... ... ...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 02:55:59 am by Rick Law »

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2019, 09:35:40 pm »
Rick, that seems like a totally different issue from the OP.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2019, 02:45:17 am »
Rick, that seems like a totally different issue from the OP.

Yeah, you are right - thanks for the heads up.  I did not read carefully the first time around!  I saw missing email and switched gear into wondering why my email was missing...  I guess I am not as perfect as I thought...

I will post that as a separate thread.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 02:46:56 am by Rick Law »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf