Author Topic: Analog Devices buys Linear Technology  (Read 34969 times)

Offline ECEdesign

• Regular Contributor
Re: Analog Devices buys Linear Technology
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2016, 07:29:14 pm »
I actually like the AD website it is very clean.  I really hate the TI website though and Linear's website is average.  Why do people hate the AD website so much?

Offline razberik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2016, 07:51:02 pm »
It is slow and not much information visible at first sight.

Offline dcarr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2016, 08:16:46 pm »
Well crap.  And yes the ADI website is terrible.  The old one was much more information rich.

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2016, 09:24:31 pm »
Another one from a while back:

Silicon Image -> Lattice
Best Regards, Chris

Offline exmadscientist

• Frequent Contributor
  • Technically A Professional
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2016, 11:54:53 pm »
At least it's my #1 and #2 preferred vendors merging, with not a Maxim or Microchip in sight. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out. Both companies have been historically strong in many of the same areas, so there's potentially a lot to lose if management starts really swinging the axe (and you know they will, it's only a question of where and how hard). I can hope though, that things might turn out okay, as NSC and TI merging more or less did.

I think the best thing to watch is new product introductions. As long as the shiny new toys keep coming, we'll be fine. What's interesting is how ADI products and LTC products differ a bit in approach. ADI has for a while had best-in-class ADCs and amplifiers, usually edging out LTC on specs (though of course not always). LTC products, on the other hand, simply do things no one else can do. It's easy to be top of the class when you're the only one who can do it at all! Both companies typically pursue higher specs and higher margins than, say, TI, who do anything and everything at a reasonable price but are rarely best of breed.

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2016, 04:08:03 am »
everybody get ready for scopes to go up in price!

Fortunately I only have a few LT parts in our current designs, and none of them are part critical. Just a couple of voltage boosters. Nothing I cant find from another vendor if those numbers get cut loose.  The only part I am screed on if it goes away is the Maxim MAX4460 as ts the only part of its type with low enough power draw and fast enough time to operation that we can turn it on, turn on the ADC and have a good signal to sample when the ADC is ready to go and them shut it off (battery powered application with a high sample rate)
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2016, 04:41:29 am »
:( After all that volt-nuttery I'm sorta become fanboy of LT parts and their clean and easy to use site.
Will we see AD labelled LTZ1000's in couple years? I bet that will revive LTZ1000 thread in Metrology section for another 50 pages or so  :scared:.

Probably site is not an issue for enterprise customers though, as those guys get direct FAE support and don't even need to see the websites :)
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline XFDDesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2016, 04:47:45 pm »
:( After all that volt-nuttery I'm sorta become fanboy of LT parts and their clean and easy to use site.
Will we see AD labelled LTZ1000's in couple years? I bet that will revive LTZ1000 thread in Metrology section for another 50 pages or so  :scared:.

Probably site is not an issue for enterprise customers though, as those guys get direct FAE support and don't even need to see the websites :)

No, the linear parts as they exist will always be LTxxxx. Anything new will be AD(ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ)xxxx.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2016, 05:46:25 pm »
No, the linear parts as they exist will always be LTxxxx. Anything new will be AD(ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ)xxxx.

Yep, Analog Devices did the same thing with the PMI part numbers after acquiring them.  Doing otherwise just invites confusion.  TI did the same thing after purchasing Burr-Brown and National.  I would not expect any new LT parts however and a continuing program of obsolescence with recommended AD replacements seems likely which is sad since LT makes some uniquely useful parts.

Seems like an odd coincidence that National and Linear Technology were both purchased by competitors shortly after Robert Pease and Jim Williams died.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2016, 06:08:25 pm »
consolidation wave is not over yet .... there's 2 more in the works ...
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2016, 07:17:01 pm »
consolidation wave is not over yet .... there's 2 more in the works ...

I have a strange feeling ST is going to do something, or have something done to them.
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Offline XFDDesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2016, 09:23:35 pm »
Seems like an odd coincidence that National and Linear Technology were both purchased by competitors shortly after Robert Pease and Jim Williams died.

Let's see. ADI:
-Pushed Ray Stata to a board level ornament.
-"Retired" Moshe Gershtaber (SP?)
-"Retired" Lou Counts
..and is pushing a few other 'fathers of industry' out the door...

Offline grouchobyte

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2016, 10:02:27 pm »
This is great news, especially if they keep the LT sales and applications people.
Wow....precision Analog from ADI with the power offering from LT. No more sucky opamps from LT and decent ADCs from ADI

What I want to know is : When will Maxim succumb to the acquisition gods and who will buy them? Then my life will be complete

@grouchobyte
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 10:06:07 pm by grouchobyte »

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2016, 11:07:43 pm »
This is great news, especially if they keep the LT sales and applications people.
Wow....precision Analog from ADI with the power offering from LT. No more sucky opamps from LT and decent ADCs from ADI

What I want to know is : When will Maxim succumb to the acquisition gods and who will buy them? Then my life will be complete

@grouchobyte

Sucky op-amps from LT? Hah, I don't know what datasheets you've been reading, but...
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline XFDDesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2016, 11:43:48 pm »

Sucky op-amps from LT? Hah, I don't know what datasheets you've been reading, but...

Well... he is looking forward to someone picking up Maxim...

Offline grouchobyte

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2016, 07:43:08 am »

Its a matter of opinion, but depending on requirements sometimes its hard to beat TI/burr brown and Nationals process. Also ADI have some amazing parts. That said, LT by their own admission are not the industry leader in making the best performing parts like opamps. I have been an analog design engineer for over 30 years and even my good friend Jim Williams told me over lunch, several times that LT sucks at opamps.They certainly have an amazing Power lineup and they are proud of that. Its the power stuff ADI wanted.

Also, Maxim makes some amazing stuff and I would love to spec something in after 25 years, but if you know anything at all about their technology and their business model  you would also wish that someone would buy them.

@grouchobyte

« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 07:46:01 am by grouchobyte »

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2016, 08:03:04 am »

Its a matter of opinion, but depending on requirements sometimes its hard to beat TI/burr brown and Nationals process. Also ADI have some amazing parts. That said, LT by their own admission are not the industry leader in making the best performing parts like opamps. I have been an analog design engineer for over 30 years and even my good friend Jim Williams told me over lunch, several times that LT sucks at opamps.They certainly have an amazing Power lineup and they are proud of that. Its the power stuff ADI wanted.

Also, Maxim makes some amazing stuff and I would love to spec something in after 25 years, but if you know anything at all about their technology and their business model  you would also wish that someone would buy them.

@grouchobyte
IDK, I've always placed LT opamps the same place, or higher than TI aor AD parts (Maxim ignored, others not even the ballpark) Now, they dont have fancy laser trimmed opamps and the zero drift parts are not the best (2057 huge exception). My biggest issue is the complete lack of instrumentation amplifiers from LT, at least the ones worth mentioning.
But they have 150V PSU opamp, power opamp to 2A, high voltage zero drift ones, they actually still release differential amplifiers... Maybe it is the last few years, but they have been pretty good at it.

The following users thanked this post: EmmanuelFaure

Offline grouchobyte

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2016, 12:39:57 pm »

@grouchobyte
IDK, I've always placed LT opamps the same place, or higher than TI aor AD parts (Maxim ignored, others not even the ballpark) Now, they dont have fancy laser trimmed opamps and the zero drift parts are not the best (2057 huge exception). My biggest issue is the complete lack of instrumentation amplifiers from LT, at least the ones worth mentioning.
But they have 150V PSU opamp, power opamp to 2A, high voltage zero drift ones, they actually still release differential amplifiers... Maybe it is the last few years, but they have been pretty good at it.

Agreed.......there are several special function LT parts that are unique and have used them successfully over the years in my designs. But overall, the datasheets are chock full of errors and hidden gotchas ( more than the competition), some important parameters  are spec'd typical and the notes reveal potential snafus that usually bring WTF angst down the road. I have to spend much more time vetting an LT part then I do any other, simply because of the inconsistently written data sheets. At LT, the design engineer writes the data sheet and thus the inconsistency. Also, LT parts almost always cost more then their competitors.

I don't hate LT, I just find their parts have too many interesting quirks which I consider "sucky" , especially their generic "me too" opamps.

@grouchobyte

Offline XFDDesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2016, 12:42:23 pm »

@grouchobyte

I'm mostly poking fun. Maxim does make some amazing parts. Their sample program was (past tense as I've not touched them after getting burnt too often) fantastic. But once I did a design or two around them, and finding stock was non-existent, it makes no difference how great they are when I can't get them. :)

The following users thanked this post: grouchobyte

Offline grouchobyte

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2016, 12:56:45 pm »

@grouchobyte

I'm mostly poking fun. Maxim does make some amazing parts. Their sample program was (past tense as I've not touched them after getting burnt too often) fantastic. But once I did a design or two around them, and finding stock was non-existent, it makes no difference how great they are when I can't get them. :)

Everyone or almost everyone I know has been burned by Maxim. Wouldn't it be great, if for example, we  could get exemplary sales and apps support that we now enjoy W/ LT  only with my Maxim's silicon?

Now that is an idea worth dreaming about. :-/O

« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 01:01:05 pm by grouchobyte »

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2016, 01:28:55 pm »
Please just rebrand the Linear website to be AD, rather than keeping the rubbish site and trashing the good one.

Now I'm beginning to wonder if I should make that prototype with LT parts or not.

The following users thanked this post: Tomorokoshi

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
Analog Devices buys Linear Technology
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2016, 01:29:46 pm »

@grouchobyte

Their high voltage 140V and high current 2A op-amps were precisely what I was thinking of. They also make a couple of very good, absurdly low input bias current amps. They even have a high voltage, low input bias part! (Capable of being used as a electrometer grade buffer for a DMM.)

I think LT is the only company doing an affordable "high voltage" op-amp (outside of an old National part). Apex has plenty of HV parts, going up to 1kV in fact, but they're insanely expensive (well over $100/ea).
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline mairo

• Supporter
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2016, 02:00:10 pm »
I hope LT website stays as it is (highly unlikely), I hate dealing with AD's website for the past several years, it was once a great website..

I also hope LT Spice stays and all AD parts get incorporated in.

Offline grouchobyte

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2016, 04:01:17 pm »
http://www.linear.com/product/LTC6090

I used this LT part in a recent Mach Zhander interferometer fiber sensing project to drive a piezo fiber stretcher. Nothing like it anywhere. This is certainly not part of the sucky group of opamps I was referring to in a earlier post

@grouchobyte

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2016, 08:50:59 pm »
I hope LT website stays as it is (highly unlikely), I hate dealing with AD's website for the past several years, it was once a great website..

I also hope LT Spice stays and all AD parts get incorporated in.
Same here, that's the main reasons I barely use ADs website.
Drives me insane  |O :scared:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf