Author Topic: Answering Machine App for Android  (Read 4518 times)

Offline MrOmnosTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • BE in Electronics and Communication
Answering Machine App for Android
« on: September 22, 2017, 07:58:44 pm »
So, as a student I spend most of the time in class or labs. So, I miss a lot of calls. I use a android phone and so I thought there must be an app that would function as old school answering machines and record the calls after the beep like in the old days. But I couldn't find one. There were apps that use texts to reply but nothing with voice. Yes, Voice mail is an option but it costs money and carriers here charge a lot of money.

I have phone that has lots and lots and memory. Why should I use voice mail and pay the carriers? My ph is capable of recording calls and storing them. Why isn't there any apps that have such functionality? Is it not doable on android? The operating systems limits this feature?

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: Answering Machine App for Android
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 03:55:43 pm »
I’m not sure I get the situation. If calls are prohibitively expensive, such that listening to voicemail is an unreasonable expense, then I wouldn’t expect you to be getting many calls, and I’d expect people to be texting you instead. But they’re calling you a lot, so presumably the call to listen to voicemail would also be reasonable?

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 09:58:20 pm »
I just searched for 'Voicemail' on GooglePlay, since I am also interested...  There are apps which do what you want, but, their main complaint is bugs and hardware compatibility, so for now, I personally am avoiding them and I wont put any specific links in this thread.

I assume the bugs are related to that the phone manufacturers don't always implement all the 'Doors' needed for a software app to take over and answer a cell phone call from the built in software 'Phone' services in a friendly manner, or, just not enough people want such an app who use it and report on issues so that such bugs are corrected on such a large myriad list of hardware devices and revisions of Android.

Offline MrOmnosTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • BE in Electronics and Communication
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 12:17:26 pm »
I’m not sure I get the situation. If calls are prohibitively expensive, such that listening to voicemail is an unreasonable expense, then I wouldn’t expect you to be getting many calls, and I’d expect people to be texting you instead. But they’re calling you a lot, so presumably the call to listen to voicemail would also be reasonable?
Ph companies can not survive if they make their calls  prohibitively expensive in this era of interwebs, so no the calls are cheap. Listening to voice mail is not like calling and prices are not same. If you need a voice mail, you have to pay a monthly subscription charge for that service, which is expensive. My point is, if my phone already has enough storage to store my calls then why should I pay someone else a subscription charge to store it for me and so that I can listen to it later.   :-//

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 12:32:46 pm »
Ph companies can not survive if they make their calls  prohibitively expensive in this era of interwebs, so no the calls are cheap. Listening to voice mail is not like calling and prices are not same. If you need a voice mail, you have to pay a monthly subscription charge for that service, which is expensive. My point is, if my phone already has enough storage to store my calls then why should I pay someone else a subscription charge to store it for me and so that I can listen to it later.   :-//
Oh, they charge a monthly fee for the service? That’s lame. I can see why you want a local answering “machine”! I wish I could help but I use iPhone, where third party apps do not have any access at all to the telephony hardware and software.

Bear in mind that if you can find an alternative voicemail service, that voicemail works by configuring call forwarding when you don’t answer. So if someone else offers it cheap or free, that could be an option.

As for listening to voicemail: there are only two systems I’m aware of: 1. receiving the recording as data (like in Apple’s visual voicemail and in google voice), 2. traditional voicemail, where you call a number to listen to it (which really is a phone call and is billed as such).

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 12:52:23 pm »
Try reading around about your phone providers messagebank options, over here atleast the 2 providers i have used have had a free Message2text option, where the recorded message was then sent as a text message to your phone saying such and such tried to ring, and a generally pretty good transcription of there message.

To activate it i had to use dial code settings, e.g ##002# to disable messagebank which then defaulted to the Message2text option

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 06:04:39 pm »
Yes, true. I’d lumped that into #1 in my reply.

Not that I really care, I probably get less than 10 voicemails per year!!!

Offline vyukhlin

Offline vyukhlin

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 05:55:42 pm »
try it - the app is realy working
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 05:58:30 pm by vyukhlin »

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 09:26:16 pm »
For lsndline or VOIP, you can set up an Asterisk system, which includes "comedian mail" (crazy name) a voice mail system.  Not sure how to put this on a cell phone, but there might be some way to do so.  Or, have your missed calls forwarded to the Asterisk phone, if you have a landline or VOIP.

Jon

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 09:16:16 am »
 ;D same Idea. I would Setup an Astarisk Setup at Home and use LTE on my Phone to connect.
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 06:39:39 pm »
Do the APIs even have access to the telephone or it’s audio? Are there any call recorder Apps?
It certainly isn’t for iOS. There was once a text reply (to voice call) App for jailbroken iPhones.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2018, 08:18:16 pm »
Do the APIs even have access to the telephone or it’s audio? Are there any call recorder Apps?
It certainly isn’t for iOS. There was once a text reply (to voice call) App for jailbroken iPhones.
I don't think they do. The developer who necroposted this ancient thread (vyukhlin) got around it by using a loopback device you plug into the headphone jack.

Offline vyukhlin

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 02:25:32 am »
I don't think they do. The developer who necroposted this ancient thread (vyukhlin) got around it by using a loopback device you plug into the headphone jack.

A simple loopback device is not enough; more audio signal processing is required.

Since it is impossible to pick up the phone programmatically on Android, you need to set the mode to "Automatic off-hooking when using a headset." It is in almost all phones. If you do not have this mode, the Application will not be able to work correctly.

As a headset uses a special adapter that is inserted into the headset audio jack. The adapter contains a 4-pin Jack Audio and two resistors. This is a very simple device. See the Headset Adapter section for a diagram. Adapter will need to make yourself or order the manufacture in the electronic laboratory.

To quickly try and test applications instead of the adapter,  you can use the standard headset that comes with your phone, but the sound will be worse.  See the Headset Adapter section for instructions.

In PRO version: built-in Java to Java Virtual Machine compiler: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.yukhlin.answeringmachinepro

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 02:45:11 am »
For Android there are for sure. I don't think you need a rooted device either.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf