Author Topic: Left/Right handness of our population?  (Read 4360 times)

Offline JoeO

• Frequent Contributor
  • I admit to being deplorable
Re: Left/Right handness of our population?
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2018, 03:14:27 am »
My grandmother was from the old country, eastern Europe.  She was forced to learn to write as a righty because lefthandedness was thought to be a sign that you were possessed by the devil.
The day Al Gore was born there were 7,000 polar bears on Earth.
Today, only 26,000 remain.

Offline basinstreetdesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2018, 05:54:25 am »
I'm a righty.  But I can well believe that there are more lefties amongst the intelligentsia than the general population.  I also believe that lefties tend to be, on the average, a little more intelligent (10%?) than the general population.  I get this from direct observation and have no official studies to quote.  I also note that those who are involved in science and/or technology at a professional level also tend to be musical to some degree.
I myself play drums from time to time which is good encouragement to simultaneous two-handed dexterity.  Coincidence?
STAND BACK!  I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2018, 06:01:28 am »

That was in the fountain pen era, so learning to write without smearing the ink with my hand was a matter of trial and error.

For some bizarre reason in the 1970's in the 4th Grade we were 'forced' to buy and use nib pens, the difference in my hand writing before and after is HUGE as I adopted the overhand cramped non smudge technique.

The other bane of my earlier life used to be cheque, receipt or docket books in particular the triplicate ones  :horse:

** Not me in the photo
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2018, 07:44:48 pm »
I'm a righty.  But I can well believe that there are more lefties amongst the intelligentsia than the general population.  I also believe that lefties tend to be, on the average, a little more intelligent (10%?) than the general population.  I get this from direct observation and have no official studies to quote.  I also note that those who are involved in science and/or technology at a professional level also tend to be musical to some degree.
I myself play drums from time to time which is good encouragement to simultaneous two-handed dexterity.  Coincidence?

Not sure if this is directly related to intelligence per se. My guess is that lefties and dyslexic folks have to try harder from a young age in a society made for right handed folks and during school and by the time they reach university or college they have an established work habits and perseverance better than other folks.
You can also see that aspect to people with good memories that got it easy until they hit first year of university where hard work and understanding of the concepts is all of the sudden relevant.
Dyslexic also tend to have good 3D and spatial visualization. Skills that are good for machining, topology, electronics and several STEM fields.

Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2018, 11:16:24 am »
We did have a poll...

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/are-you-lefthanded/25/
Forgot how shitty the forum looks like on mobile. God bless tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 01:19:22 pm by JPortici »

Offline InductorbackEMF

• Regular Contributor
  • Repair/Rebuilding.
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2018, 01:04:27 pm »
As left as left can be.
:D

Alex.
Want a cup of TEA? (just one more meter please..)
Alex.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf