Author Topic: Anyone used raytec Magic Gel to pot electronics?  (Read 1788 times)

Online mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Anyone used raytec Magic Gel to pot electronics?
« on: January 20, 2018, 04:58:13 pm »

Looks like a good option for potting for waterproofing electronics , allowing possible re-entry, and not too expensive - anyone tried it ?

Looks like they're promoting it more for electrical uses - filling junction boxes etc.

http://www.raytech.it/product/low-voltage/magic-gel?lang=en
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
Re: Anyone used raytec Magic Gel to pot electronics?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 11:57:43 pm »
Yeaah, a guy named Ray tried to give me some magic gel once. It didn't end well and I don't like talking about it.

It does look like a neat gel, but of course could only be used inside an enclosure, and even though it has a low viscosity, it does appear to not turn into a gelatin or solid from what I can see. To me that means while it's nice to take it out, perhaps it would be a nightmare to clean out of stuff it's not supposed to be in? Another wonder if it does flow and how fast in it's cured form.

I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline janekm

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 02:08:49 am »

Looks like a good option for potting for waterproofing electronics , allowing possible re-entry, and not too expensive - anyone tried it ?

Looks like they're promoting it more for electrical uses - filling junction boxes etc.

http://www.raytech.it/product/low-voltage/magic-gel?lang=en

I've used it on a research project putting wireless GPS trackers on wild horses in Spain. We used it both for the water-proofing aspect but also to give some degree of shock-proofing (the design had some wired and soldered components including the battery connection). The devices held up well despite getting knocked into trees by the horses trying to get rid of them, and I don't believe we had any moisture issues with any of the devices that we collected at the end.

The working time can be a bit short when you're filling a lot of devices at once (we tried batches of around 20, which was a bit much), and any spillage will leave a very slippery residue on the floor that is exceedingly difficult to clean up (seems to be silicone based). Probably best to put down a tarp first.

Online mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 09:24:49 am »
Why not get something from a real professional electronics chemical supplier like MG Chemicals?
Because it's easy to buy in small quantities and appears to have some good attributes.
Raytech seems to be an electrical box manufacturer, not a professional chemical manufacturer.
So they probably have it manufactured by someone else - so what? 
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 09:44:16 am »
It's silicone resin

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 11:15:16 am »
Interesting name and box graphics, it makes it look like something you would have given the kids to play with on the kitchen table.

Actually, Magic Gel is what they used to rub their skin to numb it before injections (and therefore what I ask for before a Cystoscopy, but that's another story!  :D).
Best Regards, Chris

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf