Author Topic: Apple & Customs STOLE Louis Rossmann batteries  (Read 27309 times)

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: Apple & Customs STOLE Louis Rossmann batteries
« Reply #125 on: October 23, 2018, 12:24:05 pm »
Believe what you want, ok? I’ve spent my entire career in the computer industry in one way or another, so I know what happens in the field.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #126 on: October 23, 2018, 06:41:16 pm »
There seems to be a misconception that Apple is selling these devices for less than it costs them to make. Apple doesn't pull Sony/Microsoft console moves with their devices (Xboxs and Playstations are sold at a loss but make back their money via game liscensing). Apple makes a large margin off every device and the actual device cost for them is far lower than the sticker price consumers end up paying.

Oh, good god, another hobbyist who doesn't seem to understand anything about producing consumer products.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #127 on: October 23, 2018, 08:33:12 pm »
There seems to be a misconception that Apple is selling these devices for less than it costs them to make. Apple doesn't pull Sony/Microsoft console moves with their devices (Xboxs and Playstations are sold at a loss but make back their money via game liscensing). Apple makes a large margin off every device and the actual device cost for them is far lower than the sticker price consumers end up paying.

Oh, good god, another hobbyist who doesn't seem to understand anything about producing consumer products.

I see a lot of insults being flung around, but not many numbers.  Can you guys bring me up to speed on specifically what Terrius said that was wrong? 

Speaking as someone who has worked in that industry, the economics of game consoles work more or less as he's suggesting.  The business model for consoles sold by Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft is based on charging royalties for licensing and distribution of titles for their hardware.  Initial profit margins are not that high, and sometimes aren't positive at all.  The manufacturers live and die by their attach rate, which is an industry term for the number of games that go out the door with every customer who buys a system.   

Apple does not depend on recurring or residual revenue at all, and this does in fact show up in their margins.  That's how they bring in 80+% of the sector's profits on 20% of the sales volume.  App sales are icing on the cake; the original model for the iPhone didn't even include apps.   Make no mistake, Apple brings in plenty of profit even if you never purchase a single app.  The console guys would kill to be in their position.

The following users thanked this post: wraper, PlainName, tooki, MT

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #128 on: October 23, 2018, 08:44:38 pm »
Apple does not depend on recurring or residual revenue at all, and this does in fact show up in their margins.  That's how they bring in 80+% of the sector's profits on 20% of the sales volume.  App sales are icing on the cake; the original model for the iPhone didn't even include apps.
Apple's business model is completely different. Luxury items (like an iPhone) are not affordable to the masses on purpose. An iPhone is similar to a 5000 dollar wrist watch or hand bag. There is a group of people who simply want to spend more to have something special and Apple is catering to that group. Ofcourse the manufacturers of luxury products are able to have much better profit margins on their products. LVMH (the company owning Louis Vuiton and many other luxury brands) for example is showing similar profit margins when compared to Apple.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: October 23, 2018, 11:42:45 pm »
Apple does not depend on recurring or residual revenue at all, and this does in fact show up in their margins.  That's how they bring in 80+% of the sector's profits on 20% of the sales volume.  App sales are icing on the cake; the original model for the iPhone didn't even include apps.
Apple's business model is completely different. Luxury items (like an iPhone) are not affordable to the masses on purpose. An iPhone is similar to a 5000 dollar wrist watch or hand bag. There is a group of people who simply want to spend more to have something special and Apple is catering to that group. Ofcourse the manufacturers of luxury products are able to have much better profit margins on their products. LVMH (the company owning Louis Vuiton and many other luxury brands) for example is showing similar profit margins when compared to Apple.

Apple iPhone is more like Samsung Galaxy than a LVMH handbag.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130 on: October 23, 2018, 11:50:46 pm »

I see a lot of insults being flung around, but not many numbers.  Can you guys bring me up to speed on specifically what Terrius said that was wrong? 

Speaking as someone who has worked in that industry, the economics of game consoles work more or less as he's suggesting.  The business model for consoles sold by Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft is based on charging royalties for licensing and distribution of titles for their hardware.  Initial profit margins are not that high, and sometimes aren't positive at all.  The manufacturers live and die by their attach rate, which is an industry term for the number of games that go out the door with every customer who buys a system.   

Apple does not depend on recurring or residual revenue at all, and this does in fact show up in their margins.  That's how they bring in 80+% of the sector's profits on 20% of the sales volume.  App sales are icing on the cake; the original model for the iPhone didn't even include apps.   Make no mistake, Apple brings in plenty of profit even if you never purchase a single app.  The console guys would kill to be in their position.

Re-read what I put in boldface in Terrius' post.

Teardowns of the $1000 iPhone X showed a BOM of $360 or thereabouts. That margin is not unreasonable; in fact, it's probably too low and I'm sure they'd rather have the BOM below $300. The hobbyists seem to think that the net profit on this phone is $640 when out of that $640 Apple's gotta pay for the overhead, including salaries and benefits for workers, real estate, utilities, all of what's necessary to actually run the business.

I don't see that misconception about Apple's business model to which Terrius refers. Nobody thinks that Apple sells anything at or near a loss.

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #131 on: October 24, 2018, 12:21:27 am »
Re-read what I put in boldface in Terrius' post.

I did.  Still don't see where he's wrong, at least not to the extent of warranting an insulting response.

Teardowns of the $1000 iPhone X showed a BOM of $360 or thereabouts. That margin is not unreasonable; in fact, it's probably too low and I'm sure they'd rather have the BOM below $300. The hobbyists seem to think that the net profit on this phone is $640 when out of that $640 Apple's gotta pay for the overhead, including salaries and benefits for workers, real estate, utilities, all of what's necessary to actually run the business.

I don't see that misconception about Apple's business model to which Terrius refers. Nobody thinks that Apple sells anything at or near a loss.

I'm always curious about those BOM estimates.  How do the people doing the teardowns know what Apple's line item costs are?  Do they just look parts up on DigiKey, or what? 

Safe to say the actual BOM costs are (a) lower than even the best-informed guesses, and (b) a closely-guarded secret.  Apple has a massive amount of leverage over their vendors, not all of which shows up on a balance sheet.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #132 on: October 24, 2018, 02:11:06 am »
not all of which shows up on a balance sheet

But what must be the world's biggest cash pile of around $250b does. Whatever profit they make on a phone, it's a hell of a lot by any standard :)

The following users thanked this post: wraper, thm_w

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #133 on: October 24, 2018, 04:48:53 am »
Believe what you want, ok? I’ve spent my entire career in the computer industry in one way or another, so I know what happens in the field.
Dunno what you were doing in your computer industry career but based on my past experience working as a warranty repair technician, I can say you have no clue what you are talking about.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 04:50:25 am by wraper »

Offline ZuccaTopic starter

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #134 on: October 24, 2018, 07:25:35 am »
a lot by any standard

I heard ice cream business is one of the worst...

Commercial Ice Cream machines generate high-profit margins for the catering and food industry. A good, quality commercial ice cream machine can make an ice cream for as little as 12p versus the average selling price of an ice cream cone at £2.00 and an ice cream dessert which can be anything from £3.95 upwards.

https://www.carpigiani.co.uk/ice-cream-profit/
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #135 on: October 24, 2018, 07:39:09 am »
Ice-cream doesn't sell in the many millions, though, so the operating costs per item are much higher (even though they are no doubt very low, overall, compared to Apple's). That's not to mention that £3.95 - 12p is just little but lower anyway than $1000 - $300 :)

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136 on: October 24, 2018, 07:46:27 am »
Compared to rent, wages, and taxes, the cost of the ice cream is insignificant

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #137 on: October 24, 2018, 09:38:34 am »
Dunno what you were doing in your computer industry career but based on my past experience working as a warranty repair technician, I can say you have no clue what you are talking about.
Well, I do. We were probably working in different areas of repair.

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #138 on: October 24, 2018, 05:06:24 pm »
Its said CrapApple patented their own screws (pentalobe etc) and screwdrivers so anybody who makes or replaces them violates their intellectual property. And as previously pointed out would be like if an car repair shop changes the tyres on your car then get sued by the car manufacturer or the tyre manufacturer for doing so.  :horse:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 05:10:08 pm by MT »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #139 on: October 25, 2018, 02:33:02 pm »
Its said CrapApple patented their own screws (pentalobe etc) and screwdrivers so anybody who makes or replaces them violates their intellectual property. And as previously pointed out would be like if an car repair shop changes the tyres on your car then get sued by the car manufacturer or the tyre manufacturer for doing so.  :horse:
They’re not patented. Both no-name and top-tier tool companies sell the screwdrivers for them. Replacement screw kits for iPhones existed for a while, but then the screwdrivers became so ubiquitous that now you just get the drivers. (They’re better than Phillips screws anyway, as they behave much like Torx, in that they don’t cam out.)

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #140 on: October 25, 2018, 03:47:57 pm »
I wonder what would happen if I were to set up a repair shop named "Louis Rossman Apple Repairs"?  He's spent a significant amount of effort building a specific image and brand to drive his business - I'm sure he wouldn't be happy to see someone hijack it.  There would be no end to his lawsuits, writing and calling government agencies to report me, demanding seizures and prosecution, cease and desist letters, lawyering, raising a media stink about it, etc.  Rightly so.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #141 on: October 25, 2018, 03:50:10 pm »
They’re not patented. Both no-name and top-tier tool companies sell the screwdrivers for them. Replacement screw kits for iPhones existed for a while, but then the screwdrivers became so ubiquitous that now you just get the drivers. (They’re better than Phillips screws anyway, as they behave much like Torx, in that they don’t cam out.)

Indeed. Wera sell Pentalobes: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/screwdrivers/1230844/

Cam out is a big problem. I've seen a lot of top tier stuff in defence sector with Philips and even slot screws turn up shredded when it was new believe it or not.

Pozidriv FTW.

I wonder what would happen if I were to set up a repair shop named "Louis Rossman Apple Repairs"?  He's spent a significant amount of effort building a specific image and brand to drive his business - I'm sure he wouldn't be happy to see someone hijack it.  There would be no end to his lawsuits, writing and calling government agencies to report me, demanding prosecution, cease and desist letters, lawyering, raising a media stink about it, etc.  Rightly so.

A very good point.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #142 on: October 25, 2018, 04:59:35 pm »
I wonder what would happen if I were to set up a repair shop named "Louis Rossman Apple Repairs"?  He's spent a significant amount of effort building a specific image and brand to drive his business - I'm sure he wouldn't be happy to see someone hijack it.  There would be no end to his lawsuits, writing and calling government agencies to report me, demanding seizures and prosecution, cease and desist letters, lawyering, raising a media stink about it, etc.  Rightly so.
If he were to produce and sell items under his own name and someone else would resell those through their own company, I don't think Louis would object.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #143 on: October 25, 2018, 05:08:20 pm »
A very good point.
Disagree.

Rossman is out there imparting his learnings and techniques to everyone for free on YouTube, and even offering 1:1 tutorials.  And telling us what materials he uses and where to get them.  And re-packaging and re-selling more obscure materials to make it more convenient.  To be sure, he is likely making a modest profit, but probably not enough to pay for good healthy smoothie drinks.

This is exactly the opposite of what Apple does.  They don't even offer that kind of support to their own repair people.  And they actively task their gang of lawyers to go after anyone who dares to try to repair their gold-plated turds.  People who support Apple especially in this forum continue to amaze me.  Apple not only has the largest nest-egg on the planet (perhaps only second to the Vatican) but they appear to also be #1 in brain-washing.

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
« Reply #144 on: October 25, 2018, 05:15:57 pm »
a lot by any standard

I heard ice cream business is one of the worst...

Commercial Ice Cream machines generate high-profit margins for the catering and food industry. A good, quality commercial ice cream machine can make an ice cream for as little as 12p versus the average selling price of an ice cream cone at £2.00 and an ice cream dessert which can be anything from £3.95 upwards.

https://www.carpigiani.co.uk/ice-cream-profit/

Fun fact! The current governor of Arizona is a guy called Doug Ducey, and prior to running for office, he ran a chain of ice cream parlors that went bankrupt.

That's right -- he couldn't make money selling ice cream in Arizona.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #145 on: October 25, 2018, 05:44:37 pm »
Cam out is a big problem. I've seen a lot of top tier stuff in defence sector with Philips and even slot screws turn up shredded when it was new believe it or not.

Pozidriv FTW.
It boggles the mind that Phillips and slot screws are still used for anything other than perhaps the the tiniest of precision screws. Pozidriv is an improvement, but if it were up to me, everything would be Torx.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #146 on: October 25, 2018, 06:01:03 pm »
Agree with torx for sure.

Just a point with Rossman: he’s a businessman who is marketing his business and his perception of things to support the business. If you think there’s some altruistic point in the YouTube channel existing I think you’re deluded.

He is expert at networking and marketing which I respect him for.

The following users thanked this post: Wan Huang Luo

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #147 on: October 25, 2018, 06:04:29 pm »
Fun fact! The current governor of Arizona is a guy called Doug Ducey, and prior to running for office, he ran a chain of ice cream parlors that went bankrupt.

Fun Fact!  Cold Stone is doing quite well, even with several shops here in chilly Oregon selling ice cream.  You might want to find a more reputable source for your "Fun Facts".

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #148 on: October 25, 2018, 06:29:13 pm »

Fun Fact!  Cold Stone is doing quite well, even with several shops here in chilly Oregon selling ice cream.  You might want to find a more reputable source for your "Fun Facts".
Well, any ice cream market has a baseline demand from weirdos like me who like ice cream year-round. But it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that you’ll sell more, on average, in a hot place.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #149 on: October 25, 2018, 10:35:44 pm »
I've been to them, actually that concept goes back quite a long time, there used to be a place in San Francisco in the 80s that did that cheesecake, icecream, fruit, toppings Benihana of Tokyo like mashup thing.

Man was it super good!
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf