Author Topic: Arbitrary moderation?  (Read 90784 times)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Arbitrary moderation?
« Reply #200 on: September 20, 2014, 03:44:07 am »
TEST MESSAGE FOR DELETION
Hmm, I don't see the button to delete it, the mod doesn't seem to be working as expected...
Oh, I can't delete my own post with this  :palm:
Someone post something I can delete!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 03:46:53 am by EEVblog »

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #201 on: September 20, 2014, 03:48:00 am »
NOTE: This message has been deleted by the forum moderator EEVblog for being against the forum rules, and/or for the following reason:

Well I guess I can retype what I said before ;)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 08:05:54 am by miguelvp »

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #202 on: September 20, 2014, 03:58:57 am »
To paraphrase Shaw, attempting to reason with such individuals is like attempting to wrestle a pig; you both get dirty and the pig likes it.
Nice. Quote of the week!

Edit: Just to clarify; just a handy quote. Not interested in it's context within this thread.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 04:08:47 am by apelly »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #203 on: September 20, 2014, 04:20:27 am »
Ok, so that works. I just hit the Delete Spam button I and the mods can see, and the (customisable template) message gets posted and the name of the moderator inserted. The moderator can then chose to edit the post and add an addition reason if needed.
The regular delete buttons and edit buttons are still there is a moderator wants to delete part of a message or just kill it entirely for some reason (like real spam).

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #204 on: September 20, 2014, 04:34:23 am »
And it shows when it was deleted as well, my last edit was at 10 minutes 25 seconds past the hour, so it shows it was deleted 7 minutes later.

Edit: also the Edit field shows who did it so you don't even need the template that says who did it ;)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 04:36:51 am by miguelvp »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #205 on: September 20, 2014, 04:45:14 am »
Thanks Dave, looks nice, and then you just copy and paste the reason from a local file.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #206 on: September 20, 2014, 06:48:55 am »
And BTW, the deleted message goes into a deleted messages part of the forum (only visible to moderators) so they can be restored if need be.
That also goes for if you accidentally or deliberately deleted a post and you want it back.
But the list does get purged after some time.

Tac Eht Xilef

« Reply #207 on: September 20, 2014, 06:58:08 am »
And it shows when it was deleted as well, my last edit was at 10 minutes 25 seconds past the hour, so it shows it was deleted 7 minutes later.

Edit: also the Edit field shows who did it so you don't even need the template that says who did it ;)

But can you go still back and edit it now?  >:D

Saw that happen on another forum. Much sly dicking around, confusion, and hilarity ensued. Since everyone was having so much fun (while the forum slowly turned into a cesspit), nobody told the mods for years...

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #208 on: September 20, 2014, 07:24:51 am »

Saw that happen on another forum. Much sly dicking around, confusion, and hilarity ensued. Since everyone was having so much fun (while the forum slowly turned into a cesspit), nobody told the mods for years...
Works like a charm Dave. 
Classy mod for the forum.  :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #209 on: September 20, 2014, 08:04:51 am »

Hmm, let me try that.

Edit: Sure thing I can edit it, but then I guess if it was for real I could face a ban ;)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 08:07:17 am by miguelvp »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #210 on: September 20, 2014, 09:35:17 am »
Edit after mod edit and the next one who flags it will get you canned for sure............

just saying

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #211 on: September 20, 2014, 11:07:24 am »
Maybe the forum software should allow to change the ownership of the post so the offending user can't re-edit the moderator edit  :scared:
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #212 on: September 20, 2014, 11:36:58 am »
Edit after mod edit and the next one who flags it will get you canned for sure............

just saying

Yes, but someone will do it, and it probably will have some oddly funny angle to it.

"There may be trouble ahead"
Irving Berlin  1936
:p

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #213 on: September 20, 2014, 12:10:57 pm »

Ultimately the forum almost entirely relies upon users reporting things. The moderators can't possibly read and check every comment, not even close.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #214 on: September 20, 2014, 12:24:05 pm »
I can't either, just every so often I get the spam posts first. Sometimes you try to report a spam and the post already has gone.

i went away for a weekend and on return read first page, then clicked mark all read, no way to go through 25 pages of posts.....

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #215 on: September 20, 2014, 04:51:52 pm »
I am still out of here because I refuse to speak on a platform where moderators get to choose retrospectively what I did or did not say. A point I made in my last deleted post in this thread.

I am effectively banning myself because the moderators don't have the bottle to do the right thing and ban me if what I said was really so objectionable.  My last post till moderation policy changes. It will be interesting to see if I still posted it tomorrow.

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #216 on: September 20, 2014, 05:23:33 pm »
Rufus and imo don't ban yourself , do something that will get one banned and then at least it'll not solely be your own doing!

But seriously to the others out here , there are several very large forums around like one to do with computers and clocking , and another to do with whirling and pools in that frequenting and reading in those places for a year or so one could figure out that a lot of those moderators had different and several usernames that would shill and goad and bait or flat out abuse posters that exposed company's (like Telco's or a manufacturer) that rip off people or have crooked policy's or faulty goods or real slack service , those same mods also collude within their network to pick on peoples also , some mods had separate rights to personally abuse and still remain whilst the actual folks got banned , it all was so obvious that it was "obvious" that it was there and still is going on .

Of course there would have been the kickbacks to the back pocket for the mods , possibly goods in payment too , but the main goal is/was to keep a eye out for a trouble maker and then in some form or fashion keep it quite and if that did not work , or try to get rid of it by making it very uncomfortable for those said peoples , all for a dollar and advertising and possibly other sinister reasons .

The mods had friends of course who were just as moronic and just as "blind" as to what was really going on , real do-gooders and lawful Ha Ha Ha Ha .

I saw it plenty of times happen to poor unsuspecting folks , then of course when mentioned by oneself the attacks but slowly organized attacks started , so slow it is as if one is flagged for future targeting , it was funny and I still get a laugh at watching or imagining little monkeys tapping on the keyboards , but clever  sinister monkeys that can or have the ability to see how something is red (read) or worded on a screen from the other view of the viewer , Alien ....

And I would still like a Banana Button in the forum software ...>>>>>>>>>>>>
Soon

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #217 on: September 20, 2014, 05:29:56 pm »

Heh. Not sure what a Banana Button is, but http://www.crazyontap.com/ has a banana button: see the "I will do bananas" link on the left :-)

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #218 on: September 20, 2014, 05:35:20 pm »

Heh. Not sure what a Banana Button is, but http://www.crazyontap.com/ has a banana button: see the "I will do bananas" link on the left :-)

Technically I would call that a link , chain is full of links , a button is a button but thanks anyway for the thought ..
Soon

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #219 on: September 20, 2014, 05:42:28 pm »
Slashdot has a really good moderation system, and I have sometimes wondered if it could be used on forums as well. It would need modifying but the result is that the site owners have to do very little as it becomes mostly self moderated by the users.

Hmm, it does. It's not perfect either - the occasional perfectly decent post does get modded into oblivion when a bunch of like-minded people with mod points and megalomania happen to come by it at the same time... but that doesn't happen too often, and the posts are still there for the brave souls who want to browse them.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline zaptaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #220 on: September 20, 2014, 06:21:47 pm »
I believe that Dave got the picture and will incorporate the feedback in the periodic sensitivity and diversity training of his moderators.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #221 on: September 20, 2014, 08:19:57 pm »
Slashdot has a really good moderation system, and I have sometimes wondered if it could be used on forums as well. It would need modifying but the result is that the site owners have to do very little as it becomes mostly self moderated by the users.
Hmm, it does. It's not perfect either - the occasional perfectly decent post does get modded into oblivion when a bunch of like-minded people with mod points and megalomania
I agree. I've seen voting systems on other forums do the exact same thing. Perfectly reasonable posts get down modded due to ignorance.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Precipice

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #222 on: September 21, 2014, 11:06:24 am »
Perfection is too lofty a goal, but the Slashdot system is so good that I'm surprised other sites don't use it.

I don't particularly like the reputation based thing. Let every post stand on its own merits, and avoid the slashdot style circlejerk of upvotes.

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #223 on: September 21, 2014, 12:15:24 pm »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #224 on: September 21, 2014, 12:16:06 pm »
I am still out of here because I refuse to speak on a platform where moderators get to choose retrospectively what I did or did not say. A point I made in my last deleted post in this thread.
I am effectively banning myself because the moderators don't have the bottle to do the right thing and ban me if what I said was really so objectionable.  My last post till moderation policy changes. It will be interesting to see if I still posted it tomorrow.

Sorry to hear you are going Rufus, this is the first I have heard of it, and you certainly didn't raise it with me.
That being said, I do not agree with your view that it's either a free-for-all (you didn't say that, but that's effectively what the alternative is), or people get instantly banned for making one post that would otherwise have just been deleted and everything is right again.
The only wost possible moderation technique in my view would be to approve every comment.
Good moderation requires more than black and white rules, and instantly banning an otherwise good contributor because they might be having a bad day and say something shouldn't have once in a thousand posts, is one of the silliest ideas I've heard.
The only result of that would be either the said free-for-all (because you'd be afraid to use such a blanket rule), or an empty failed forum if you apply it eqally to everyone in every situation. Heck, I'd have to ban myself!
It has been demonstrably shown time and time again on this forum that the current system works, and works very well.
The moderation on this forum will not be changing, it has worked just fine for 5 years now, and I see no advantage in changing it.
Of course you are free to not agree, and also free to leave to leave if you so chose. And if that's the case thanks for your participation, I hope you got something of value out of it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf