Author Topic: Arduino in space!  (Read 3332 times)

Offline IanBTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Arduino in space!
« on: October 20, 2011, 08:09:01 pm »
Take a look at the electronics section pictured towards the start of the video:

Skip to 3 minutes and watch full screen for a view the naked eye has never seen...  8)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 10:20:26 pm by IanB »

Offline Armin_Balija

• Regular Contributor
Re: Arduino in space!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 05:35:22 am »
That was AWESOME!! The second camera view where you could see the earth's edge was amazing. I wonder how much something like this would cost on a smaller scale. It looks like a lot of fun!

Offline sonicj

• Frequent Contributor
  • updata successed!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 06:13:41 am »
I wonder how much something like this would cost on a smaller scale. It looks like a lot of fun!
i don't believe its terribly expensive... a guy down the street from me is a avid rocket modeler and all of his stuff looks homebrew. i think the most costly element is the motors. i believe he said around $30usd a pop and he gets a couple thousand feet with a small payload. everything but the motor is re-usable (if you can find it).
-sj

Offline Achilles

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 08:45:39 am »
Yeah, that is some fun stuff. I really liked the back-facing camera, but sadly it got partly covered during the flight.

I think launching that baby is really expensive (apart from all that Aluminium, GFK and Electronics for the bare body). It gives you some really cool video footage and it somehow reminds me of the Toshiba HD-TV with the chair and weather balloon....hehe

They seemed to take care of a lot. I just saw a video on Youtube last weekend where somebody shot his homebrew Pershing (Aluminium with Wood Parts) up. Looked really cool until it crashed down several hundret meters ago.....no parachute  :o

At least you have a lot of paperwork with the government I think.

Offline IanBTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 02:21:17 pm »
At least you have a lot of paperwork with the government I think.
In the USA the system is fairly accommodating. The main thing you have to do is obtain permission from the FAA and have them close the airspace around the launch site so any unsuspecting aircraft don't get startled by your ground to air missile.

Offline david77

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 02:29:09 pm »
Um, why do I have to think about a Reliant Robin strapped to a massive rocket now?  ;)

How do the rocketeers know in what area their used rocket will come down again? I wouldn't want to get hit on the head by some "space" debris. I'd think you'd need a fairly large open area to shoot a rocket into the sky and not have it hit someone when it comes down again, right?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf