Author Topic: Arduino projects, a little suggestion needed  (Read 2029 times)

Offline kingoftTopic starter

• !
    • EEE Projects
Arduino projects, a little suggestion needed
« on: August 15, 2017, 09:20:01 pm »
hi, i'm a student and eager to learn embedded. some of my friends suggested me to start with arduino, however i've gone through and successfully tried some basics like line following robot and light blinking.
As i'm new in electronic + programming thing, it seems that its gonna take much more time for me to get hands of making projects like motion detector application or wireless display
Is there any way to learn more than just basics in less time or do i have to follow the same path which i have to learn things step by step which might take months even year?

thank you
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 09:27:27 pm by kingoft »
EEE Project Ideas for beginners and basic electronics.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Arduino projects, a little suggestion needed
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 10:13:46 pm »
What subjects or skills are you currently good at? How long did it take you to achieve that level of proficiency?

As with most skills, it takes time and practice to learn more than just the basics. Some learn faster than others or have better methodologies for learning, but there's still a non-trivial amount of time that must be invested.

In this so-called age of instant gratification, worthwhile endeavors still take effort to achieve. So, be patient with yourself, don't give up, and enjoy the journey, not just the destination.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 10:46:44 pm »
There's probably an app for that... :)

Learning takes time, enjoyment comes from the 'ah ha' moment and solving a problem even if it take hours/days/weeks...Learning is a life long process - so get use to taking time to do it.

cheers,
george.

The following users thanked this post: 3db, kingoft

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 11:05:46 pm »
Your friends advice is very good. It's hard to find a better beginner's platform then Arduino, especially the 8 bit versions. The hardware is cheap, Asian arduino nano clones go for just a few dollars. And don't forget to enjoy the journey as well as your end goals.

Good luck.

The following users thanked this post: kingoft

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 11:34:33 pm »
I am an amateur radio operator, I used an arduino to give a digital voltage and current display (and crude crowbar circuit) for a linear power supply for one of my transmitters.
I would look at your other electronic interests and merge an arduino into that.
From my limited experience C (or variants) seem to be applicable in other areas so it is time well spent.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 02:01:37 am »
Think of something you want or need.  Maybe it's a light.  A clock.  A gadget to help you do something.  A toy for somebody's birthday...

And then make it.  You won't have any idea HOW to make it, that's fine, that's how you learn, you pick a little piece of the project, and learn how to do that, then the next piece, and the next piece.... until eventually your project is complete and you look back on it and say "hey, now I know how to do all that stuff".

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

The following users thanked this post: kingoft

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 02:30:59 am »
Think of something you want or need.  Maybe it's a light.  A clock.  A gadget to help you do something.  A toy for somebody's birthday...

And then make it.  You won't have any idea HOW to make it, that's fine, that's how you learn, you pick a little piece of the project, and learn how to do that, then the next piece, and the next piece.... until eventually your project is complete and you look back on it and say "hey, now I know how to do all that stuff".

I would also suggest this approach.

You know what you want to achieve - you just have to find out how to do each part of it.  You will be driven by the desire to find solutions, specific to a number of real objectives.  This is a lot more motivational than drudging through endless hours of coursework that can have limited engagement.  It's the excitement of doing something that you want that makes the difference.

You certainly won't get a full education on the features and capabilities of the platform and you are likely to use some sub-optimal choices - but you WILL get an excellent framework of understanding, where filling in the gaps will come.

Offline zeqing

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 04:17:26 am »
use some kind of beginner kits or follow some kind of bootcamp such as https://community.embarcadero.com/blogs/entry/iot-bootcamp-2017 ,  1 week would be OK for the very basic usages.

• !
    • EEE Projects
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 09:15:26 pm »

thanks ! you remind me of how did i actually started it all. one piece at a time !
I'll try little more basics before making a leap to something really cool  :)

• !
    • EEE Projects
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 09:19:10 pm »
What subjects or skills are you currently good at? How long did it take you to achieve that level of proficiency?

As with most skills, it takes time and practice to learn more than just the basics. Some learn faster than others or have better methodologies for learning, but there's still a non-trivial amount of time that must be invested.

In this so-called age of instant gratification, worthwhile endeavors still take effort to achieve. So, be patient with yourself, don't give up, and enjoy the journey, not just the destination.

Thanks ! Do appreciate it  :)

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 03:13:50 am »
As someone a decade down this rabbit hole, the best thing i can suggest it keep building things that are slightly outside your comfort zone,

Most of my knowledge developed from me trying to do something in a way that now seems very foolish, but it meant i learned the how and why the better alternatives exist.

One of my first involved arduino projects that I approached was dumping a bank of parrellel roms from a bit of test equiptment i was trying to repair in case i later bricked it.

Now this definatly doesnt set the tone for the complexity you need to meet, it was an example of i needed to do something suited to a microcontroller and early on i had enough free time that me playing around for 6 hours with shift registers was better value than a $160 eeprom programmer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf