Yes, I'm lefthanded
48 (40.3%)
No, righthanded all the way
59 (49.6%)
I go both ways and proud of it
12 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 117

Voting closed: June 13, 2017, 04:37:15 pm

Author Topic: Are you lefthanded?  (Read 11172 times)

Offline retroleftyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
Are you lefthanded?
« on: May 14, 2017, 04:37:15 pm »
Being left-handed I noticed that at employment with a hand full of companies I seemed to often find myself in a much higher then 10% lefty crowd. Lets see if this site deviates from 10%.

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Are you lefthanded?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 04:39:34 pm »
It was a small engineering department (Three engineers and a manager) but there were three of us that were left handed, and only one right handed engineer.  When the one right handed guy left, we were 100 percent left handed.

Offline PauloConstantino

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 04:43:41 pm »
I was born left handed, and taught to do things with my right hand. I still do lots of things with my left, and I use my left leg for leg stuff.

I have been teaching myself to write with my left hand for some time now, but although I can write cleanly with it, it's not comfortable

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 05:59:43 pm »
is it valid a right-handed by accident  was  disabled his right arm temporarily and he had to learn all with the left hand?

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 07:27:50 pm »
I am right handed but years ago I had surgery on my right shoulder that immobilized my arm.  I learned to do everything left handed.  I can still eat left handed, I play pool left handed, drive left handed and can mouse with either hand.  I write right handed.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 07:49:32 pm »
I'm right handed but if needed, i can use mouse with left hand or eat with my left hand, use hand tools with my left hand ... handwriting is a bit tricky but if i really have to i could probably manage it.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 09:10:57 pm »
Lefty here in most tasks....eating, writing, etc. But I throw a ball right handed. And some tasks either hand.

I used to use a mouse lefty until I started to get carpal tunnel and I switched to right hand.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline 5321488

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 10:44:08 pm »
I'm a lefty when writing and most things but oddly kick with either and bat in cricket right handed. I can use my right hand for most things, only a little worse than with left hand

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 12:35:32 am »
Always been a righty.

This thread reminded me of a laptop I sorted for a guy with health problems.  It had a fingerprint scanner - which he was keen to set up.  I told him to use at least 3 and to use fingers from both hands in case of injury to a finger or a hand.

He was a righty, too.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 01:45:33 am »
I have always been right handed but I now practice doing things as much as possible with my left hand.  About the only things I do not do with my left hand are using the mouse, writing, and using some tools like screwdrivers and hammers but I am working on those.  In practice this means for anything else, I use either hand as needed but prefer my left hand for practice.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 01:56:36 am »
I was born ambidextrous, but after years of writing with my right hand, it would take me a bit of time to retrain my left to write. However, my hand-eye co-ordination is superior on my left hand. I can bowl and throw better with it.

When I play the piano, I am almost as good with my left hand, however I have never been trained to play a piano, and play by ear, so maybe that has something to do with it.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 02:26:06 am »
I'm generally right handed, but there are oddball things I catch myself using my left hand for, like eating ice cream cones or any food of similar nature. In any kind of sport I also shoot left, while most people seem to shoot right.  Not that I play sports very often.  I don't think Wii counts.  :-DD

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 02:58:30 am »
Right handed mostly, but when it comes to playing with titties, suddenly I'm ambidextrous...

;)

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 03:00:34 am »
Right handed mostly, but when it comes to playing with titties, suddenly I'm ambidextrous...

;)

With this there is a question that's on everybody's mind.

Are they yours?
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, IRFP460

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017, 03:07:46 am »

;)

Are they yours?

LOL... where's the fun in that...

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 05:03:31 am »
Being left-handed I noticed that at employment with a hand full of companies I seemed to often find myself in a much higher then 10% lefty crowd. Lets see if this site deviates from 10%.

Righty here, but I seem to favour the left hand for things like opening a bottle, so I can't take the vote.

Perhaps it's not this site you should be looking at, but your jobs. Are there certain character traits that are stronger with lefties?

But looking at lefties from a certain age, you might think they're righties. My father is left handed but was forced to write right handed and hence has done ever since. I found out not that long ago that Paul McCartney wasn't the only lefty in The Beatles...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 05:07:35 am by jitter »

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 06:17:48 am »

Not a 100% leftie (mouse and phone with the right hand for example)
I try to use tools with both hands because it's hard to find power tools for us

yesterday i was with some friends and we found ourselves to be a handful :D of lefties (somebody said oh shit you know you're all left handed?)

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 10:53:41 am »
Surprised no one has said...

I was born right handed, like all humans, but was able to overcome that disability at an early age.

Ever see a left-handed oscilloscope?

There are some tasks that are more easily done with the right hand, like hammering in a toenail on the right side of a stud.  For that and many other tasks, I use my right hand.  Anther example is tightening a right-hand screw (muscles in the forearm are stronger for supination than for pronation).

As for driving a car with the left hand, isn't that because the right hand is usually holding a cellphone?

Finally, for very fine motor control (e.g., tuning an analog radio) the non-dominate hand is often better.

John

« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 10:55:16 am by jpanhalt »

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017, 11:12:13 am »
Left hander here.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 11:28:48 am »
left handed students always have ink pen stains on their left hand... LOL perhaps not as much today since everyone takes a laptop to class...

The following users thanked this post: CJay

Offline magetoo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2017, 12:15:05 pm »
Righty, and has made some conscious effort to be more "even handed", not that it seems to have made much of a difference in practice.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2017, 12:43:26 pm »
Right. Back in the day, I played basketball high school competitively. For the world, I could not learn to be as fluent with both hands, no matter how much time and effort I put into it. It kinda matters, places more distance between the ball and the defending player, but my accuracy was just bad.
The results will be biased BTW. I would look up what the name of the bias it is...

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2017, 01:18:32 pm »

Are they yours?

Err, no. Sorry to disappoint but it's only you.

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2017, 01:20:47 pm »
As for driving a car with the left hand, isn't that because the right hand is usually holding a cellphone?

No, only idiots do that.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2017, 01:29:45 pm »

Are they yours?

Err, no. Sorry to disappoint but it's only you.

:D LOL

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf