Author Topic: Art of Electronics 3rd ed. Horowitz and Hill - any news?  (Read 20467 times)

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: Art of Electronics 3rd ed. Horowitz and Hill - any news?
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2010, 08:41:54 am »
I use foxitreader

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2010, 10:05:05 am »
Is it really better than Adobe?

I know Adobe uses lots of memory but you've got loads of RAM so that shouldn't matter.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2010, 12:18:11 pm »
yea the adobe installation is like 10 tiome the disk space and has to prelaunch stuff when you start the computer slowing down bootup, basically I find it intrusive, I use it at work  on a low spec PC and it has the functionality that adobe does not to send the PDF as an email which is very handy as I have to print reject reports as a PDF and email them so I can do it without going to the email program and attaching the file I just email it directly.

I think adobe are going M$ style, too intrusive, bloated software and generally worthy of the M$ treatment (avoid at all costs) The only thing I cheer them for is photoshop although if I tried hard enough I could probably find another program free to do the same

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2010, 01:36:57 pm »
yea the adobe installation is like 10 tiome the disk space and has to prelaunch stuff when you start the computer slowing down bootup, basically I find it intrusive,
That can be disabled using autoruns which can be download from the MS website.

The most annoying thing is the updater which also gets bundled with flash player so you probably have it, even if you don't use Acrobat.

I use it at work  on a low spec PC and it has the functionality that adobe does not to send the PDF as an email which is very handy as I have to print reject reports as a PDF and email them so I can do it without going to the email program and attaching the file I just email it directly.
Never tried Foxit but i've had problems with other PDF readers when trying to read some files, especially those with interactive contact like forms or 3D models.

I think adobe are going M$ style, too intrusive, bloated software and generally worthy of the M$ treatment (avoid at all costs) The only thing I cheer them for is photoshop although if I tried hard enough I could probably find another program free to do the same
Ever tried GIMP?

Incidentally have you tried Inkscape, it's apparently is a good rival for Illustrator? Although I've only used Inkscape so wouldn't know.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2010, 02:13:38 pm »
or you can open acrobat reader with the "/n" modifier and have as many instances a you want
Grr, I've tried editing the folder options file types tab but it keeps changing back. I think there must be a program running somewhere which is doing this, I've disabled all Adobe autoruns. I'll try starting in safe mode to see if it happens then.

Offline migsantiago

• Frequent Contributor
    • MigSantiago's Web Site
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2010, 02:29:29 pm »
I also use Foxit Reader. The greatest PDF reader out there.

alm

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2010, 03:40:23 pm »
As long as you don't do anything important like pre-press with it. Last time I checked, the font rendering sucked and the vector graphics were inaccurate, so if you'd zoom in, the lines appeared to have a gap, although they were aligned perfectly in Adobe Reader and InDesign. Same with color rendering. I also doubt that it supports advanced features like forms and notes properly. I don't think it's a great PDF reader, but it's adequate for just reading simple documents, and it's fairly light-weight.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2010, 05:56:00 pm »
well thats all I use it for really, I don't mind having both installed but I just cannot stand adobes aggressive presence on my system, I don't want stuff loading I didn't ask for when I start my PC.

You have to watch foxit when printing, i printed the entire rigol scope manual at 2 pages per sheet to save the papaer only to find it put the pages back to front so I have the read page 1 on the right hand side and page 2 on the left. otherwise it handle documents fine

Offline migsantiago

• Frequent Contributor
    • MigSantiago's Web Site
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2010, 06:36:54 pm »
well thats all I use it for really, I don't mind having both installed but I just cannot stand adobes aggressive presence on my system, I don't want stuff loading I didn't ask for when I start my PC.

You have to watch foxit when printing, i printed the entire rigol scope manual at 2 pages per sheet to save the papaer only to find it put the pages back to front so I have the read page 1 on the right hand side and page 2 on the left. otherwise it handle documents fine

Maybe the printing job failed because the rigol manual was created by a chinese pdf software. Foxit sometimes asks for permission to install chinese font tables and stuff like that.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2010, 07:04:28 pm »
no, it has done it on other stuff, it is a good reader but a shit everything else

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2010, 08:16:15 am »
Why not print double sided?

If your printer doesn't have a duplexer then get it to print the odd and even page numbers separately; I know Adobe can does this, can Foxit?

alm

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2010, 08:31:59 am »
For printing large amounts, I would definitely do double-sided, and preferable also two pages per side (2-up). If the real thing is easily available as a real book and the cost is not too high, I wouldn't print it myself. Too much hassle, and the end result is lower quality.

Last time I checked, you couldn't easily do 2-up printing and print even/odd pages separately at the same time (you don't want pages 1 and 3 on the same sheet) without an intermediate step. I've used the even/odd trick, one issue is that your printer takes in two pages at the same time once in a while. This will screw up all the pages after that. I tend to print in batches for this reason.

Offline migsantiago

• Frequent Contributor
    • MigSantiago's Web Site
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2010, 07:59:12 pm »

If your printer doesn't have a duplexer then get it to print the odd and even page numbers separately; I know Adobe can does this, can Foxit?

Yeah, it has that option as well.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2010, 08:11:14 pm »

Yeah, it has that option as well.

and hope the printer does not misfeed or you have screwed it all

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2010, 09:20:13 pm »
That's why you should check it's printed properly before reloading the paper for printing on the other side and do the book in several batches.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2010, 06:46:08 am »
yes but say it takes two sheets at a time it will muck up the order

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2010, 08:32:21 am »
I'm not with you.

If you check, after printing say 20 pages on one side and there's a sheet missing or they're in the wrong order, you can rearrange them or print a missing sheet, if it happens when you're printing on the other side, then it's hard luck but you've only wasted 20 pages at most. If the book is 120 pages long, you still save paper unless your printer messes up on the first page at the start of printing on the other side of each 20 page batch, which is both unlikely and if you're printer is that bad, you need a new one.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf