Author Topic: ATTEN DSOs NOT ATTEN ?????  (Read 7947 times)

Offline MrsRTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
ATTEN DSOs NOT ATTEN ?????
« on: September 01, 2012, 07:03:38 am »
Hi! Guys,
I been corresponding with ATTEN EU about problems I am having with ATTEN DSO re labeled as a DIGITECH and found out that ATTEN Oscilloscopes are made by SIGLENT which is owned by the same person who owns ATTEN.

So if you buy an ATTEN DSO it is made by SIGLENT and re-branded as an ATTEN.
I bought a QC1932 branded as a DIGITECH it developed bad internal noise. I returned it under warranty and after a few months wait they replaced it with a brand new Scope. Great I said I can finally get those jobs done, unfortunately after plugging it in I find the internal noise is worse than my old one.

My local dealer told me to keep it for the weekend and see how it goes. Well I seem to have got a complete disaster Every time I tried to set it up it took 10 goes to get it to accept Peak Detect then I try to set the trigger same thing every  time I try to input a mode it jumps to another setting.
Does anyone else have problems with a re-branded DSO or am I just unlucky????

One thing I found out is that an ATTEN DSO in the EU has differant components in it. They had problems and requested better quality components from SIGLENT and they offered to sell me a higher grade 40meg model,4meg memory including freight and packed in a wooden box for $549 Au. They say it should only cost about $214 for the top model 25meg DSO with top memory 4megs. and a 7" screen also. How much profit do Australian companies want to make, I know I am totally at a loss as to what is a good reasonably priced DSO.

Mrs R.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
Re: ATTEN DSOs NOT ATTEN ?????
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 08:28:29 am »
For practical purposes you can consider Siglent being Atten. People try very hard to rewrite Siglent's history and disassociate them from Atten. Siglent was previously called "DinYoung Technology Company, Ltd." a subsidiary of the Atten group. Sometime in 2008 DinYoung disappeared, and Siglent appeared, and history was rewritten, as if they have nothing to do with Atten.

You will hear arguments that the Siglent factory is not the Atten factory. So what? As if companies usually only have one factory, and can only produce crap in one factory.

If you need a useful and cheap oscilloscope get a Rigol. If you can live with some rough edges and "some hacking required" get a Hantek. Don't expect support from the manufacturers for these.

If you need something with support get one of the products from a real brand. You will have to pay extra. Agilent has the InfiniVision 2000 and 3000 series, which seem to make people very happy.

Stay away from low-end LeCroy stuff. It happens to be rebranded Atten/Siglent crap.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 11:45:01 am »
Someone's going to come in and lambast BAW and OP for saying Atten is Siglent  :D

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 03:18:32 pm »
I concur with BAW.  It sounds like you are in AU, then I can say Rigol easily.  If you order from Emona, click through eevblog.com home page to give Dave a click-credit.

https://secure1.ozhosting.com/emona/shop/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=36

Dave has had his Rigol since ~2009, mine is going on > 2 years now; it gets good use weekly.  The Oz list price is ~ US price, so unlike much MTE there isn't such an obscene difference in cost [ that's before taxes and shipping charges.]

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 05:31:17 pm »
Well isn't AUD and USD on the same level now? the last time i checked it was the almost the same

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 02:26:37 pm »
They are not far apart,  but the real problem is premium pricing for certain brands.  It depends on your country; in OZ for example Agilent DMMs, Fluke 87V or a Hakko FX888 may be found mostly at ~>2x the USA price, whereas the Rigol is ~ USA price. 

Well isn't AUD and USD on the same level now? the last time i checked it was the almost the same
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 03:27:54 pm »
They are not far apart,  but the real problem is premium pricing for certain brands.  It depends on your country; in OZ for example Agilent DMMs, Fluke 87V or a Hakko FX888 may be found mostly at ~>2x the USA price, whereas the Rigol is ~ USA price. 

Indeed. That's why i won't buy official hakkos (Although US version are 100 bucks but they are 110v)
and have to put up with the clones :( DAMN YOU HAKKO! (Made in malaysia(neighbouring country) but yet 2x more expensive than the same model 10000km away)

Offline MrsRTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 04:21:16 pm »
I concur with BAW.  It sounds like you are in AU, then I can say Rigol easily.  If you order from Emona, click through eevblog.com home page to give Dave a click-credit.

Dave has had his Rigol since ~2009, mine is going on > 2 years now; it gets good use weekly.  The Oz list price is ~ US price, so unlike much MTE there isn't such an obscene difference in cost [ that's before taxes and shipping charges.]

Thanks for the reply and thank you every one else.
Yes I live in NSW, I went and had a look at RIGOL and the 100Meg one looks good as long as the internal noise is very low. I bought the QC1932 as I try to support local Vendors and he gave a big discount to keep me around. If they send me another load of C__p I will buy RIGOL and give Dave a credit. It is getting bad when a new DSO out of the box has more internal noise than the voltage of the circuit that is being tested.

ALL THE BEST
Rachael

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 06:17:14 pm »

Yes I live in NSW, I went and had a look at RIGOL and the 100Meg one looks good as long as the internal noise is very low. I bought the QC1932 as I try to support local Vendors and he gave a big discount to keep me around. If they send me another load of C__p I will buy RIGOL and give Dave a credit. It is getting bad when a new DSO out of the box has more internal noise than the voltage of the circuit that is being tested.

ALL THE BEST
Rachael

Did you noticed the GW Instek scope? It's HUGE for what it is  :P

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 09:58:50 pm »
You're welcome.  Yes, if you had an Atten dealer nearby,  you could save money,  generate some goodwill at a local shop [ at worst, helps for maybe stuff later on] try out what could be a better deal,  and be able to return it easily.  This is the only way I would consider an Atten, if ever. 

Note the Rigol noise floor is about 2-5mVpp, which is as good as it gets considering DAC noise, photos:

http://www.eevblog.com/2009/10/12/eevblog-37-rigol-ds1052e-oscilloscope-teardown/#comment-2137

The 8 bit DAC gives ~ s/n of ~ -50dB tops.  So a 1VDC signal will have about 3mV of noise caused by the Rigol's DACs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal-to-noise_ratio#Digital_signals

ALL THE BEST
Rachael
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 10:29:35 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf