Author Topic: Australia data encryption law  (Read 10416 times)

Offline Homer J SimpsonTopic starter

• Super Contributor

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
Re: Australia data encryption law
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 01:38:33 pm »
A better name for it would be Data Decryption Law.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 01:43:04 pm »
How can they enforce it? I can always install an app that offers encryption.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 11:10:30 pm »
Well, it's real now!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/22/technology/australia-cellphone-encryption-security.html

I don't know how the industry will respond.  If I had to guess, the manufacturers would just quit selling in Australia.  If people want an iPhone, they would have to buy it on some kind of gray market,

The UK is trying the same thing but I haven't been following along.

Furthermore, it doesn't address on-device encryption apps that are installed by the user.  PGP comes to mind.  So even if the phone is hacked, the data is still protected.

Should be fun...

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 01:05:33 am »
A better name for it would be Data Decryption Law.

Yes. This is a nice example of Orwell's "doublethink".

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 01:23:00 am »
It was flawed legislation to 'keep us safe over Christmas' rammed through our Parliament in a total farce on the last sitting day before Christmas.

'THEY' promise to look at it when Parliament resumes in February https://www.news.com.au/technology/online/security/human-rights-watch-raises-concerns-about-australias-cybersecurity-and-surveillance-laws/news-story/99c2655639b22ee821b588e15881f6b3

But don't hold your breath its an Election year  :palm:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 01:33:22 am »
So even if the phone is hacked, the data is still protected.
I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion. You can't build a castle on sand.
The integrity of each layer in a system depends on everything below it. Once the root of trust is compromised (by x86 AMT, etc) it's game over.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 01:50:07 am by helius »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 02:13:30 am »
India too. I have some thoughts on the reasons for all this. You can probably guess what they are.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 02:36:51 am »
You can't escape the matrix.
Of course, it's all for your own good.
 :popcorn:

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 03:17:31 am »
That's what comes to you if you defy the government. Be wise.

Be a feeble little pawn, you mean.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 03:24:17 am »
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 03:27:27 am by cdev »

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 03:51:30 am »
Right. I forget you don't have morals or feelings of your own, only a need for success.

Ahh, china..

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 04:01:28 am »
If we can't have end to end encryption, e-commerce is right out the window.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2019, 04:01:39 am »
The Fact China is a police state sure as hell doesn't mean I want to live in one here. China has the balance WRONG as it 'assumes' there is wrong doing and the government has the right to investigate ALL regardless!

Forced decryption with NO (currently) judicial or any proper oversight is so far away from where this legislation NEEDS to be and in the year of kissing babies and smokescreens to hide other failures we will be likely stuck with this garbage act for a fair while to come. Neither side will want to appear 'weak' and reduce apparent security measures lest they be labeled as such by the other side.

Welcome to the Australian political farce adding to the Year of Trump and Brexit  :palm:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2019, 04:12:31 am »
CAs are a central point of failure and politically open to manipulation. I'd honestly be quite surprised if those weren't comprised in some way. What most governments are after now is local and end-to-end encryption without some central controlling part, for what seem to be obvious reasons. If you can't control it, you don't want it. At least that's how the powers that be look at it. Apparently centuries of civilisation without that amount of control was a mistake. Governments need to know every last secret, for your own protection.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2019, 04:37:12 am »
This is not a free speech issue so don't introduce that as some sort of defense. This is an Australian issue at present and has nothing 'directly' to do with the USA.

Government forced release of encrypted data with no oversight is gross overreach and undermines this countries ability to do Business in a global market. It allows in a cynical case our Government to force the release of commercial in confidence data being transferred in relation to trade or contract negotiations with no oversight be that government to government or company to government.

The security and terrorism excuse is a minuscule fraction of what this bullshit can do in it's current form.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 04:38:24 am »
Because free speech is inherently flawed. Look at the stupid leftist shits happening in US. The SJWs, the sovereign citizens, and the reverse racists.

The government should protect its citizens. There's nothing wrong about it. Yet the shitty country can't reach to an agreement on building the fucking wall.

America should realize that people are not born equal. They want to police the world and coerce everyone to obey, yet they don't agree Mexican lives are worth less than American lives.

It's a sensitive topic, and I'm fully aware of it. But fact is fact. Doing such only shows nothing but hypocrisy.

And right there you've crossed over a line you can't uncross. Congratulations, and kindly fuck off.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2019, 05:20:30 am »
And right there you've crossed over a line you can't uncross. Congratulations, and kindly fuck off.
It's the party tune. Not very original, but hardly a surprise.

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2019, 09:01:49 am »
When you enter the UK there are signs letting you know you are under the obligation to reveal passwords to any computer or other device and refusal will land you in jail. It's known as "Rubber-Hose Cryptanalysis".

The notion that morality has anything to do with governments is laughable. Morality is just whatever rules allow us to do what we want to do and prevent others from doing what they want to do. If we want to do it then it is moral and we will twist our "reasoning" so we can arrive at the foreordained conclusion.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2019, 12:54:21 am »
Every crime statistic I've seen in years indicates that crime in most places is falling.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2019, 01:39:38 am »
Every crime statistic I've seen in years indicates that crime in most places is falling.
It is. The world is safer than ever in pretty much every relevant aspect and metric. However, the increased availability of news gives the horrors of the world much more exposure. It seems this is exacerbated by people who utilize this to gain support for their political agenda. Fear is a powerful motivator.

The following users thanked this post: apis, beanflying, Synthtech

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 01:46:47 am »
Yep the news cycle is NOW and by anyone with a smart phone is a reporter (unless blocked or suppressed by the government of that country ::) ).

Seems India thinks our Farce is on a winner too  :palm: http://www.mydigitalfc.com/fc-weekend/privacy-vs-snooping

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2019, 03:10:31 am »
Censorship is more extensive on the Internet now than it ever was. There is a growing amount of milieu control.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 03:25:05 am by cdev »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2019, 03:19:01 am »
I just finished reading "Darkness at Noon" by Arthur Koestler. Its a gripping book.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 03:25:58 am by cdev »

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2019, 06:22:14 am »
I don't mind logging them in and being present during the "search" to prove I am innocent (if it doesn't contain personal stuff not belonging to me) but I wouldn't want to give out passwords to use behind my back especially when not present as it defeats the whole purpose of what they're for.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf