Author Topic: BatCave or did Thunderf00t Discover a Tomb for King Elon  (Read 3857 times)

Offline jonovidTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
BatCave or did Thunderf00t Discover a Tomb for King Elon
« on: September 22, 2018, 06:46:00 pm »
take a look at this,  :clap: every genius has his or her weird odd quirky Ideas.   ;D
here is one that look Ok, at first then you get to thinking about this.  :palm:
a BatCave? is a Tomb for King Elon? or is he trying too too had too avoid other cars.

Elon Musks- a BATCAVE in every house!

Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
Re: BatCave or did Thunderf00t Discover a Tomb for King Elon
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 06:50:11 pm »
does thunderfoot even do anything then attack people on his youtube channel now?

actually nevermind I thought he was some other guy I used to watch on youtube. But thats like a 90% debunk channel.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 06:51:48 pm by coppercone2 »

The following users thanked this post: wraper, newbrain

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 06:59:25 pm »
One of the top comments on youtube describes this rant well:
Lol, dude. Not even 3 minutes in and it's clear you have very little knowledge on how things work in the construction industry. Moving 20 truck loads of soil from one residential site is nothing these days. I've seen twice that lugged in as backfill around some foundations. Guess how much is removed for the basement? Quite a bit more. Just an avg 2700 sq.ft American home would need ~300 cu.m of soil removed for a 4ft high foundation wall - some foundations are 8ft deep or more, depends on the grade. That's not including the trenches for forms and drain tile. I'm skeptical about this hyperloop idea, but ffs man, do better.

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 07:29:52 pm »
I just don't like it because I don't know I realized I don't actually like being under ground. And having some kind of narrow street under the street seems like it would bring serious security issues since you can't patrol it, it has access to every house, etc. A criminal hacker could do some damage down here, be it simple and easy way to break in the neighbors don't see.

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 07:31:34 pm »
Only 20 trucks !! what about the piles to hold up the house and stop the whole thing collapsing and the rest of the reinforcemnet needed  :palm: Maybe Elon missed the fact that we've got working prototype flying cars these days.
Forgot to mention that there have been a few house collapses in parts of London recently where the owners wanted a basement built under the house. Putting a basement under an existing structure is not just digging a hole in the ground FFS, it's a lot of reinforced concrete, you've got the vertical load from the structure and then the side loads from the adjacent structures, don't forget to into account it might piss down with rain for 3 months then you've got a lot more side load and then drainage... Sorry about the rant but it's just not practical and certainly not economic.                   
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 07:53:40 pm by chris_leyson »

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 07:34:17 pm »
yes its also basically requiring the formation of a second 'highway department' wherever this is located that has a way more stressful and difficult job that requires heavy engineering knowledge compared to making sure the asphalt does not have holes in it. Maintenance and security would be very expensive.

That bullshit is gonna flood, build up with gasses, fires inside of it will be a complete mother fucker to fight. It's all super expensive to do right and usually tunnels have fairly gestapo-like security policies around them with heavier surveillance etc. Lots of overhead.

I don't trust it because they can't even get the roads right.

OK, take an asphalt road, and compare it to an airplane runway. Look how much fucking better a runway is built then a god damn car road.

If you start putting these everywhere, to keep costs down, your gonna compare a commercial mine, which is making someone alot of money, and they have to pay insurance for people that get hurt, to some kind of consumer grade tunnels.

You would need seismic monitoring, security systems, some kind of underground police force or at least have cops go down there sometimes (i mean look what was happening on NYC trains before they had undercovers  go in dressed as bums)! flood protection systems, gas monitoring systems, fire protection systems, specially trained emergency response service.

All the overhead will be so much more expensive then just the construction. Ludicrous imo. Maybe in the future when they can melt the walls solid to avoid the use of concrete or something and have seriously evolved robotics that can deal with problems that happen down there real fast. I would be afraid of getting mugged in my tunnel entrance lol. It needs to be at least 2 lanes wide, just because crime.

Unless its like watched its practically a burglary machine. The elevator can go up and down 10 times bring down all your valuables to the tunnel level where it can be picked up or even stored.

In normal life neighbors might investigate or call the cops if they see a van parked outside your house with people smuggling out your televisions and computers and tools..  give it a tunnel access?? 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 07:56:26 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 07:54:58 pm »
Only 20 trucks !! what about the piles to hold up the house and stop the whole thing collapsing and the rest of the reinforcemnet needed  :palm:
Excuse me but 20 trucks is an order of magnitude too low to fuss about  :palm:. And there is nothing exceptional about reinforcing.
Maybe Elon missed the fact that we've got working prototype flying cars these days.
Which are like flying grenades and impossible to use in any serious scale even if technology becames extremely reliable. Even regular professionally piloted planes do crash or even 2 planes crash in each other. Good luck organizing air navigation on street level. Also I guess pedestrians will be very happy to be blown away by flow of air.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 07:59:18 pm by wraper »

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 08:05:02 pm »
Excuse me but 20 trucks is an order of magnitude too low to fuss about
I just quoted 20 trucks from the youtube video. I know it's an order of magnetude out. Concrete and steel, easy if you knock down the existing structure but not so easy if you've got to do it in-situ. You just can't just retrofit this stuff to existing structures.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 08:08:49 pm »
lol I think it took the construction workers near where I live like 2 months to redo 1 streets gas pipe buried like 10 feet or less under ground.

Has there ever been a tunnel project that went to plan? Look at the boston tunnel network development time line. Maybe you can film a sequel to goodfellas about it.

"

The Big Dig was the most expensive highway project in the US, and was plagued by cost overruns, delays, leaks, design flaws, charges of poor execution and use of substandard materials, criminal arrests,[2][3] and one death.[4] The project was originally scheduled to be completed in 1998[5] at an estimated cost of $2.8 billion (in 1982 dollars, US$6.0 billion adjusted for inflation as of 2006).[6] However, the project was completed in December 2007 at a cost of over $14.6 billion ($8.08 billion in 1982 dollars, meaning a cost overrun of about 190%)[6] as of 2006.[7] The Boston Globe estimated that the project will ultimately cost $22 billion, including interest, and that it would not be paid off until 2038.[8] As a result of a death, leaks, and other design flaws, Bechtel and Parsons Brinckerhoff—the consortium that oversaw the project—agreed to pay $407 million in restitution and several smaller companies agreed to pay a combined sum of approximately $51 million.[9] "

I think musk needs a nap.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 08:20:25 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 08:33:58 pm »
The Big Dig was the most expensive highway project in the US, and was plagued by cost overruns, delays, leaks, design flaws, charges of poor execution and use of substandard materials, criminal arrests,[2][3] and one death.[4] The project was originally scheduled to be completed in 1998[5] at an estimated cost of $2.8 billion (in 1982 dollars, US$6.0 billion adjusted for inflation as of 2006).[6] However, the project was completed in December 2007 at a cost of over $14.6 billion ($8.08 billion in 1982 dollars, meaning a cost overrun of about 190%)[6] as of 2006.[7] The Boston Globe estimated that the project will ultimately cost $22 billion, including interest, and that it would not be paid off until 2038.[8] As a result of a death, leaks, and other design flaws, Bechtel and Parsons Brinckerhoff—the consortium that oversaw the project—agreed to pay $407 million in restitution and several smaller companies agreed to pay a combined sum of approximately $51 million.[9] "

I think musk needs a nap.
There is no issue with Musk. It's that Americans forgot how to build tunnels. It was somehow possible to do in the past and still non issue in other countries  :palm:.
lol I think it took the construction workers near where I live like 2 months to redo 1 streets gas pipe buried like 10 feet or less under ground.
I think world in not thinking highly about you country for a good reason. If you cannot do in 2 months what is done in 2 days elsewhere, it's a problem of a place where you live. Not an indicator how things are done normally.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 08:38:54 pm by wraper »

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 08:38:41 pm »
whats a similar tunnel system to the big dig? built under a working city

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2018, 08:43:29 pm »
whats a similar tunnel system to the big dig? built under a working city
I can say that in Moscow they opened 15 metro stations this year alone, under functioning city. And those are much more georgous than humble London underground.

https://youtu.be/pzg3AXRxBYA
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 09:04:18 pm by wraper »

The following users thanked this post: Koen

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2018, 08:49:43 pm »
Total length of Moscow metro is 379km BTW.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 08:58:34 pm by wraper »

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2018, 09:01:34 pm »
wasent that an overall drain on the national economy like albanian bunker building?

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2018, 09:11:18 pm »
wasent that an overall drain on the national economy like albanian bunker building?
Way cheaper than what Americans do. 1km of deep metro tunnel costs around 100 million USD, shallow tunnel around 67 million USD. That's a total costs with all bell and whistles built.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2018, 09:21:57 pm »
I mean wasent all the specialized machinery, industry and expertise built up because of the cold war and the need to make Moscow 'politically' safe (despite them probably not doing much to nuclear earthshaker bombs)?

I always thought there might be a massive hidden cost disparity to those moscaw underground tunnel systems. Some of that being 'cost reduction brought on by intense political and military pressure on contracts, labor and materials acquisition'

do you have something similar to compare it to built by a free nation? I am not convinced the same industry can be brought up at low cost in other countries. They had the benefits of industrial selectivity based on communism for a good 70 years.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 09:27:08 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2018, 09:34:08 pm »
Many stations were built even before WW2, not to say cold war. What I wrote are current costs. Current Russia has completely capitalistic economy.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 09:36:05 pm by wraper »

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2018, 09:35:01 pm »
how much %

also more useful in russia I think because of snow fall

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2018, 09:36:37 pm »
how much %
% of what?
also more useful in russia I think because of snow fall
LOL

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2018, 09:51:18 pm »
% of their underground infrastructure built since the cold war accounting for industrial development to see if there is an effect

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2018, 10:02:02 pm »
% of their underground infrastructure built since the cold war accounting for industrial development to see if there is an effect
About half the stations are build after 1991. Some of them are not underground, but a lot are. And the length of the tunnels has increased since the beginning. The original subway system (that is still an active nuclear shelter with periodic drills and stuff) is very compact, but deep. Majority of the subway can act as a regular bomb shelter at best.

Here is the source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Moscow_Metro_stations
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 10:22:47 pm by ataradov »
Alex

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2018, 10:20:27 pm »
BTW there is also Saint Petersburg Metro where deepest station goes 86 meters below the ground and it's the deepest metro in the world by the average depth of all the stations. I've been there, it's so deep as it looks like you are descending into nowhere on escalator.

https://youtu.be/FV20Hhv-H10

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2018, 12:43:36 pm »
Well, locally by me there was a short tunnel dug under the harbour entrance recently for a service tunnel, and this was done with a rented TBM. There have been calls for decades about a cross harbour tunnel to cut down on the 30km circuit around the harbour, but the encumbent military on the one side ( along with the refinery tank farm and the container terminal) are pretty unhappy with the idea unless this can take 2 lanes either direction and can handle 16m long rigs as well.

The service tunnel was dug ahead of schedule, took under a week instead of the month anticipated, and the TBM head came out with paint still on it, seeing as how it was digging mainly through silt, the odd alluvial boulder and placing precast concrete sidewalls under the water.

Now try digging upcountry here, in what could be the worst material to tunnel through aside from granite ( and that is there as well), going through dolomite and basalt, with you never knowing when you will have the entire TBM vanish into a hidden sinkhole.

Offline dmills

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2018, 03:42:55 pm »
Crossrail seems to be pretty much going to plan as well, 42km of tunnels under London and the surroundings, so extending subway systems does NOT always have to turn into a politician/union driven dogs dinner.

IIRC The Paris metro has also had recent extension work done, and that also came in more or less on time and more or less to budget, it is New York that cannot seem to run a tunnel project (Mind you the Germans cannot seem to build an airport (Berlin), and we cannot seem to finish a railway electrification project, so everyone has their issues).

HS2 should be 'interesting'.

Regards, Dan.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2018, 04:17:51 pm »

Ask the Swiss if they consider building residential bunkers a drain on the national economy. I was told they are mandatory (Canton of Zurich)
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf